Inspiron 1525 won't charge or recognize battery

HareBear

Having an ever existing problem with Inspiron 1525 - battery won't
charge. Bought new Dell battery, still not able to charge or recognize
battery. Tried to flash the bios to version A17 - bios update fails
because system says it needs 10% battery power to flash bios. Current
battery level is at 0%. Tried to run the bios flash exe via command
prompt with a /FORCEIT command and still doesn't work.

Running Vista Home Premium SP2.

What else haven't I tried?

Bob Villa

On Jul 22, 11:23*am, HareBear <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Having an ever existing problem with Inspiron 1525 - battery won't
> charge. Bought new Dell battery, still not able to charge or recognize
> battery. Tried to flash the bios to version A17 - bios update fails
> because system says it needs 10% battery power to flash bios. Current
> battery level is at 0%. Tried to run the bios flash exe via command
> prompt with a /FORCEIT command and still doesn't work.
>
> Running Vista Home Premium SP2.
>
> What else haven't I tried?

You'll have to try another charger to see if the port for the plug is
monitoring the charge. There is a 3rd wire that is either broken in
the charger or not making the connection in the notebook itself. Rule
out the charger first. (If you were near me you could try mine!)

HareBear

On Jul 22, 1:11*pm, Bob Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 11:23*am, HareBear <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Having an ever existing problem with Inspiron 1525 - battery won't
> > charge. Bought new Dell battery, still not able to charge or recognize
> > battery. Tried to flash the bios to version A17 - bios update fails
> > because system says it needs 10% battery power to flash bios. Current
> > battery level is at 0%. Tried to run the bios flash exe via command
> > prompt with a /FORCEIT command and still doesn't work.

> > Running Vista Home Premium SP2.

> > What else haven't I tried?

> You'll have to try another charger to see if the port for the plug is
> monitoring the charge. There is a 3rd wire that is either broken in
> the charger or not making the connection in the notebook itself. Rule
> out the charger first. (If you were near me you could try mine!)

Thank you for the response and this was a great idea. I just attempted
a new charger. Booted laptop without battery and with battery. Battery
still won't charge.

Next?

Bob Villa

On Jul 22, 12:20*pm, HareBear <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 1:11*pm, Bob Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 22, 11:23*am, HareBear <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Having an ever existing problem with Inspiron 1525 - battery won't
> > > charge. Bought new Dell battery, still not able to charge or recognize
> > > battery. Tried to flash the bios to version A17 - bios update fails
> > > because system says it needs 10% battery power to flash bios. Current
> > > battery level is at 0%. Tried to run the bios flash exe via command
> > > prompt with a /FORCEIT command and still doesn't work.

> > > Running Vista Home Premium SP2.

> > > What else haven't I tried?

> > You'll have to try another charger to see if the port for the plug is
> > monitoring the charge. There is a 3rd wire that is either broken in
> > the charger or not making the connection in the notebook itself. Rule
> > out the charger first. (If you were near me you could try mine!)

> Thank you for the response and this was a great idea. I just attempted
> a new charger. Booted laptop without battery and with battery. Battery
> still won't charge.
>
> Next?

Check-over this thread on a 1545 (same battery) to see if anything
helps.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...d67afb6?hl=en#

Christopher Muto

On 7/22/2011 12:23 PM, HareBear wrote:
> Having an ever existing problem with Inspiron 1525 - battery won't
> charge. Bought new Dell battery, still not able to charge or recognize
> battery. Tried to flash the bios to version A17 - bios update fails
> because system says it needs 10% battery power to flash bios. Current
> battery level is at 0%. Tried to run the bios flash exe via command
> prompt with a /FORCEIT command and still doesn't work.
>
> Running Vista Home Premium SP2.
>
> What else haven't I tried?

the problem is likely the power board inside of the laptop. not the
power button board or button board, but the dc power board that includes
the dc input jack and usb power as well as some electronics for
regulating the power between the dc input and the battery. this small
board is separate from the motherboard. it is an inexpensive part that
is available on ebay for as little as $7.59 delivered. however
installation might be a challenge for someone that is not familiar with
working on laptops as it requires quite a bit of disassemble of the
system in order to replace it. you can find detailed instructions on
how to disassemble your system on support.dell.com and then look on the
left hand column for 'manuals', select your model or enter your system
tag number, and then language of choice and finally choose the 'service
manual.'
or just go here...
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/SM/index.htm

Bob Villa

On Jul 22, 9:38*pm, Christopher Muto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> the problem is likely the power board inside of the laptop. *not the
> power button board or button board, but the dc power board that includes
> the dc input jack and usb power as well as some electronics for
> regulating the power between the dc input and the battery. *this small
> board is separate from the motherboard. *it is an inexpensive part that
> is available on ebay for as little as $7.59 delivered. *however
> installation might be a challenge for someone that is not familiar with
> working on laptops as it requires quite a bit of disassemble of the
> system in order to replace it. *you can find detailed instructions on
> how to disassemble your system on support.dell.com and then look on the
> left hand column for 'manuals', select your model or enter your system
> tag number, and then language of choice and finally choose the 'service
> manual.'
> or just go here...http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/SM/index.htm

....and "Bob's your uncle!"

Ben Myers

On Jul 22, 10:38*pm, Christopher Muto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 7/22/2011 12:23 PM, HareBear wrote:
>
> > Having an ever existing problem with Inspiron 1525 - battery won't
> > charge. Bought new Dell battery, still not able to charge or recognize
> > battery. Tried to flash the bios to version A17 - bios update fails
> > because system says it needs 10% battery power to flash bios. Current
> > battery level is at 0%. Tried to run the bios flash exe via command
> > prompt with a /FORCEIT command and still doesn't work.

> > Running Vista Home Premium SP2.

> > What else haven't I tried?

> the problem is likely the power board inside of the laptop. *not the
> power button board or button board, but the dc power board that includes
> the dc input jack and usb power as well as some electronics for
> regulating the power between the dc input and the battery. *this small
> board is separate from the motherboard. *it is an inexpensive part that
> is available on ebay for as little as $7.59 delivered. *however
> installation might be a challenge for someone that is not familiar with
> working on laptops as it requires quite a bit of disassemble of the
> system in order to replace it. *you can find detailed instructions on
> how to disassemble your system on support.dell.com and then look on the
> left hand column for 'manuals', select your model or enter your system
> tag number, and then language of choice and finally choose the 'service
> manual.'
> or just go here...http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/SM/index.htm

I recently replaced a power board on a 1545, very similar to the
1525. Like most Dell laptops, teardown was pretty easy, as was
reassembly. But there are a great many steps to execute, all in the
right order, just like getting the 7000-odd words of King Lear in the
right order. Not a major challenge for me, as I am used to working on
Dell laptops. The Dell service manuals on-line are invaluable... Ben
Myers

can inspiron 1525 run windows xp? Jay B Dell 11 04-28-2008 09:07 PM
Vista SP1 wrecked Bluetooth on my dad's Inspiron 1525 El Bandito Dell 5 03-24-2008 09:41 PM
inspiron 1525 EFTRIX@gmail.com Laptops 1 02-02-2008 02:45 AM
inspiron 1525 EFTRIX@gmail.com Laptops 0 02-01-2008 10:48 PM
Inspiron 1525 HDMI Security alien Dell 1 01-22-2008 04:35 PM