Inspiron 6400 bad thermistors?

paulmd@efn.org

Ron Hardin wrote:
> Spam Trapper
> wrote:>http://support.dell.com/support/down...430&devlib=0&t
> > >Latest is a12.
> > >
> > >Click the "other versions" link, to browse older revisions.
> > >
> > >BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
> > >A11
> > >1. Thermal control enhancement.
> > >

> > >BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
> > >A08
> > >
> > >Enhancements
> > >6. Update thermal control.
> > >

> > >BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
> > >A07
> > >

> > >Enhancements
> > >------------
> > >1. Improve system performance.

> Mine are both A10. What's involved in upgrading the BIOS? It sounds like something
> that will leave you dead in the water if it doens't work ; the thread at Dell Formus
> said it didn't help the problem, and furthermore the machine didn't work with the
> new BIOS, which is not reassuring, so they had to upgrade back.

The 'leave you dead in the water' events are VERY rare. Besides, the
Dell Phone tech suggested it TOO . Downgrading the BIOS is easy
enough, but having to downgrade is very rare.

The one Dead in the water event on this forum i recall seeing, Dell
replaced the motherboard under warranty.

Anyway, the procedure is simple enough
*Go to support.dell.com
*enter your service tag or model number
*Select your Operating system
*click the link that says "flashBios updates"
*Download and run the program
*follow the prompts, and don't reset or power down your systems while
the upgrade is happening. In fact, if you're the nervous type, just
walk away for five or ten minutes. (it averages about 1 minute)

*You might have to reset the time and date, but I've not had to do this
on any recent Dell.

The alternate theory on your systems is that you either have a whole
lot of dead temperature sensors, or there's a short somewhere, or SOME
bad component. IN which case, get the board replaced under warranty.
Don't put up with it.

> --
> Ron Hardin
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

Ron Hardin

I had the V10 BIOS. Upgrading to V12 fixed it.

I cooled down both 6400's as before in the unheated bedroom, to 48 F.
Both booted properly; the diagnostics on each passed all but the
CPU thermistor, which continued to show an out-of-range 0C (legal
is 10C-100C).

However the other 3 thermistors, that had failed on 255C, all passed
(no message, but probably they're ignoring 255C).

The cold thermistor wasn't a problem, so the systems work fine now.

Maybe one day they'll clean the CPU thermistor diagnostic.
--
Ron Hardin
(E-Mail Removed)

Spam Trapper

I agree with paulmd. I have upgraded the BIOS on several of my home
PCs and never had a problem. Not to say that it is impossible to
"brick" your PC but it is very unlikely. Especially since it is a
laptop and you can both plug it in and have a battery built-in in case
the power should go out during the flash.

On 22 Jan 2007 09:24:00 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ron Hardin wrote:
>> Spam Trapper
>> wrote:>http://support.dell.com/support/down...430&devlib=0&t

>> Mine are both A10. What's involved in upgrading the BIOS? It sounds like something
>> that will leave you dead in the water if it doens't work ; the thread at Dell Formus
>> said it didn't help the problem, and furthermore the machine didn't work with the
>> new BIOS, which is not reassuring, so they had to upgrade back.
>>

>The 'leave you dead in the water' events are VERY rare. Besides, the
>Dell Phone tech suggested it TOO . Downgrading the BIOS is easy
>enough, but having to downgrade is very rare.
>

>The one Dead in the water event on this forum i recall seeing, Dell
>replaced the motherboard under warranty.
>
>Anyway, the procedure is simple enough
>*Go to support.dell.com
>*enter your service tag or model number
>*Select your Operating system
>*click the link that says "flashBios updates"
>*Download and run the program
>*follow the prompts, and don't reset or power down your systems while
>the upgrade is happening. In fact, if you're the nervous type, just
>walk away for five or ten minutes. (it averages about 1 minute)
>
>*You might have to reset the time and date, but I've not had to do this
>on any recent Dell.
>
>The alternate theory on your systems is that you either have a whole
>lot of dead temperature sensors, or there's a short somewhere, or SOME
>bad component. IN which case, get the board replaced under warranty.
>Don't put up with it.
>

>> --
>> Ron Hardin
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

Dan

It's interesting that you said this, I've had bad thermal sensors on
some brand-new out-of-the-box Dimension E520's. Dell sends everything
but the motherboard. Maybe Dell got a bad batch of thermal sensors?

So some reported a temp of 0 and other 255? sounds like a definite
8-bit failure somewhere

Dan

paulmd@efn.org

Ron Hardin wrote:
> I had the V10 BIOS. Upgrading to V12 fixed it.
>
> I cooled down both 6400's as before in the unheated bedroom, to 48 F.
> Both booted properly; the diagnostics on each passed all but the
> CPU thermistor, which continued to show an out-of-range 0C (legal
> is 10C-100C).
>
> However the other 3 thermistors, that had failed on 255C, all passed
> (no message, but probably they're ignoring 255C).

Could be that hes other 3 temeperaure sensors just don't exist.

> The cold thermistor wasn't a problem, so the systems work fine now.
>
> Maybe one day they'll clean the CPU thermistor diagnostic.

Maybe they did.
Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility Partition Contents Upgrade Tool

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=173571

In case the previous link doesn't work

http://ftp.us.dell.com/diags/DDUP1277.exe

paulmd@efn.org

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Maybe they did.
> Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility Partition Contents Upgrade Tool

Adding linux and the grub loader for some reason makes the HD diagnostics not work;
I have to use the drivers and diagnostics CD instead.

The diagnostics are still there and start, but can't continue past the first screen,
encountering grub instead.

Fortunately Dell now supplies the CD.

--
Ron Hardin
(E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hardin

Dan wrote:

> It's interesting that you said this, I've had bad thermal sensors on
> some brand-new out-of-the-box Dimension E520's. Dell sends everything
> but the motherboard. Maybe Dell got a bad batch of thermal sensors?

The Dell forums thread had somebody with the problem whose I6400 had
been working all summer and ``suddenly'' started getting this, so
maybe it's more than recent, and more a matter of whether your machine
gets cold.

--
Ron Hardin
(E-Mail Removed)

paulmd@efn.org

Ron Hardin wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Maybe they did.
> > Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility Partition Contents Upgrade Tool

> Adding linux and the grub loader for some reason makes the HD diagnostics not work;
> I have to use the drivers and diagnostics CD instead.
>
> The diagnostics are still there and start, but can't continue past the first screen,
> encountering grub instead.
>
> Fortunately Dell now supplies the CD.

Oh well, Glad your laptops work better anyway.

It would be nice if Dell offered their diagnostics on an ISO cd image.
Too many people nuke their utility partition.

Tom Scales

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Ron Hardin wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> > Maybe they did.
>> > Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility Partition Contents Upgrade Tool

>> Adding linux and the grub loader for some reason makes the HD diagnostics
>> not work;
>> I have to use the drivers and diagnostics CD instead.
>>
>> The diagnostics are still there and start, but can't continue past the
>> first screen,
>> encountering grub instead.
>>
>> Fortunately Dell now supplies the CD.
>>

> Oh well, Glad your laptops work better anyway.
>
> It would be nice if Dell offered their diagnostics on an ISO cd image.
> Too many people nuke their utility partition.

Uh, they do. The resource CD.

It's bootable and when you boot it, up comes the diagnostics