Inspiron 910 (Mini 9) Change fm Ubuntu to XP

GTS

I'm looking into this for a customer. The necessary device drivers are
available and it should be doable, but I have 2 questions.

1. Can a Dell OEM XP Home CD be used with this netbook (as it generally can
with all Dells)?

2. I have found conflicting information about how to do the installation
given the lack of an optical drive. Per one report it sounds easy enough -
"Boot up the Mini and hit the '0' key when the logo comes up, choose the DVD
drive and hit enter to boot from the XP install disc"
But most others have said the machine BIOS won't support booting from an
external Optical drive and suggest a somewhat involved procedure to create a
bootable thumb drive.
Has anyone successfully booted this machine from an external optical
drive?

GTS

Good question. A Dell XP OEM (BIOS locked) CD can generally be used with
any Dell and doesn't require MS activation. I guess it does prompt for
the key though and that could be a problem. My reason for looking to the
Dell version was to save my customer money if it could legitimately be used.
--

"Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I don't have one, but did have a question. How would you get a Product
> key for the Dell version of XP for the 910? You can't buy it
> separately. Or are you buying a full retail pack and just thought the
> Dell version would be easier?
>
> Just curious.

GTS

Thanks. Good point about the drive size. I'll have to check that. If it
is the 4GB that would be a problem. Thanks for the info. re. OSX. That's
interesting new to to me though I suspect my customer won't want to go that
route.
--

"Christopher Muto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> the mini will boot from an external usb cd drive. and if you don't have
> one you can just buy a usb to pata/sata cable to connect to optical drive
> that you barrow from a desktop computer. but i warn you that xp may not
> fit on the mini if you got one of the really models with a small hard
> disk. also, have you considered putting osx on it? check this out...
> http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2008/10/13519/
>
> "GTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:gm4n84$gk4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm looking into this for a customer. The necessary device drivers are
>> available and it should be doable, but I have 2 questions.
>>
>> 1. Can a Dell OEM XP Home CD be used with this netbook (as it generally
>> can with all Dells)?
>>
>> 2. I have found conflicting information about how to do the installation
>> given the lack of an optical drive. Per one report it sounds easy
>> enough -
>> "Boot up the Mini and hit the '0' key when the logo comes up, choose the
>> DVD drive and hit enter to boot from the XP install disc"
>> But most others have said the machine BIOS won't support booting from an
>> external Optical drive and suggest a somewhat involved procedure to
>> create a bootable thumb drive.
>> Has anyone successfully booted this machine from an external optical
>> drive?

Ben Myers

GTS wrote:
> Good question. A Dell XP OEM (BIOS locked) CD can generally be used
> with any Dell and doesn't require MS activation. I guess it does
> prompt for the key though and that could be a problem. My reason for
> looking to the Dell version was to save my customer money if it could
> legitimately be used.
> --
>
> "Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I don't have one, but did have a question. How would you get a Product
>> key for the Dell version of XP for the 910? You can't buy it
>> separately. Or are you buying a full retail pack and just thought the
>> Dell version would be easier?
>>
>> Just curious.

That's not the point. Sure a Dell XP can be installed on most any Dell
computer with a Dell BIOS and it will not require activation. But to do
so legally, not in violation of Microsoft copyrights, requires a legit
and otherwise unused XP sticker to match the version (Home or Pro or
Media Center) of XP installed. I know that some people do not give a
damn about violating Microsoft copyrights, but they do have a copyright
on XP, no matter how badly it has performed in the old days of XP before
SP1... Ben Myers

Re: Inspiron 910 mini S.Lewis Dell 2 09-25-2008 05:07 AM
Re: Inspiron 910 mini CJJE Dell 0 09-23-2008 09:18 AM
Re: Inspiron 910 mini Boris Dell 0 09-22-2008 06:04 PM
PB 910 Cork Packard Bell 19 01-31-2004 04:39 AM
PB 910 Cork Packard Bell 1 07-09-2003 06:15 AM