Install 500GB HD

dthomas1@san.rr.com

I'M running a system with ASUS Commando MB and am trying to install a
500GB Seagate SATA HD, for some reason the BIOS doesn't see it. even
though I've been using a 350GB Maxtor SATA HD on the system with no
problems. The MB has the latest BIOS installed and the jumper settings
on the 500GB drive are set correctly. Seagates Q&A doesnt supply any
info thats usable. Any suggestions on where to go from here?.

Clas Mehus

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 07:44:02 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I'M running a system with ASUS Commando MB and am trying to install a
>500GB Seagate SATA HD, for some reason the BIOS doesn't see it. even
>though I've been using a 350GB Maxtor SATA HD on the system with no
>problems. The MB has the latest BIOS installed and the jumper settings
>on the 500GB drive are set correctly. Seagates Q&A doesnt supply any
>info thats usable. Any suggestions on where to go from here?.

-Does the drive spin up?
-Tried a different cable?
-The jumper-setting on the drive is for 1,5/3,0 Gbps SATA-setting?
-are all ports enabled in BIOS? Are you using the SATA-controller
connected to the motherboards chipset?

--
Clas Mehus
- "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."

dthomas1@san.rr.com

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:33:55 +0100, Clas Mehus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 07:44:02 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I'M running a system with ASUS Commando MB and am trying to install a
>>500GB Seagate SATA HD, for some reason the BIOS doesn't see it. even
>>though I've been using a 350GB Maxtor SATA HD on the system with no
>>problems. The MB has the latest BIOS installed and the jumper settings
>>on the 500GB drive are set correctly. Seagates Q&A doesnt supply any
>>info thats usable. Any suggestions on where to go from here?.

>-Does the drive spin up?
>-Tried a different cable?
>-The jumper-setting on the drive is for 1,5/3,0 Gbps SATA-setting?
>-are all ports enabled in BIOS? Are you using the SATA-controller
>connected to the motherboards chipset?

I have a "Hot Swap" tray on the system so can readly swap HDs,which I
do often, to run different operating systems. The manual states on
page 2-29 to use SATA drive connectors 1/2/5/6 for master. I have my
HD on one (1), and a seral DVD drive on six (6). Works fine with the
other SATA drives I use. I'm using MB chip set SATA controller. The
info on the 500GB SATA drive says for standard use you dont need any
jumpers, that being said I'v e tried jumpering the HD in various
settings to no avail. I was hopeing that some one with the same MB had
run in to the same problem with a 500GB SATA drive. Thanks for the
reply, though, I appreciate it.

William

I don't have your MB, but I do have an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. However, I just
installed the same SATA HD that you have three weeks ago. Newegg has such a
great deal on the 32meg cache version of the 500GB available and I couldn't
pass it up.

First, are you sure BIOS does not show the devise available? BE SURE. If
not, then you either have no power to the HD, a bad cable, or the controller
in the BIOS is not turned on for that sata port. Read your manual!

Even after the HD is on-line, you will see nothing in VISTA / XP until you
partition the HD. Have you done this? See: Control Panel - Administrative
Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management and see if your HD is listed
and Healthy. Perhaps you only need to partitioned the HD for use.

Good luck.

William

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'M running a system with ASUS Commando MB and am trying to install a
> 500GB Seagate SATA HD, for some reason the BIOS doesn't see it. even
> though I've been using a 350GB Maxtor SATA HD on the system with no
> problems. The MB has the latest BIOS installed and the jumper settings
> on the 500GB drive are set correctly. Seagates Q&A doesnt supply any
> info thats usable. Any suggestions on where to go from here?.

dthomas1@san.rr.com

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:30:36 -0800, "William" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
Thanks William for the post, I have a "Hot Swap" setup on the system
and I have two other SATA HD that I swap back and forth with different
operating system. Neither of these HD are 500GB, the bigest one is
300GB. but both work fine so the cabling is OK. I have a hunch I'm
missing a setting in the BIOS, but I don't know what it could be. The
BIOS is the latest one ASUS has out

Thanks anyway

Dewayne

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:26:39 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have a "Hot Swap" tray on the system so can readly swap HDs,which I
>do often, to run different operating systems. The manual states on
>page 2-29 to use SATA drive connectors 1/2/5/6 for master. I have my
>HD on one (1), and a seral DVD drive on six (6). Works fine with the
>other SATA drives I use. I'm using MB chip set SATA controller. The
>info on the 500GB SATA drive says for standard use you dont need any
>jumpers, that being said I'v e tried jumpering the HD in various
>settings to no avail. I was hopeing that some one with the same MB had
>run in to the same problem with a 500GB SATA drive. Thanks for the
>reply, though, I appreciate it.

The capacity should matter at all here. But with using this tray, you
might need to limit the drive to 1,5 Gbps. This will not impact the
performance.

Have you tried connecting the drive without using the tray-solution?
And does the drive spin up at all when used in the tray?

--
Clas Mehus
- "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."

André, PE1PQX

Het is zò dat Clas Mehus formuleerde :
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:26:39 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I have a "Hot Swap" tray on the system so can readly swap HDs,which I
>> do often, to run different operating systems. The manual states on
>> page 2-29 to use SATA drive connectors 1/2/5/6 for master. I have my
>> HD on one (1), and a seral DVD drive on six (6). Works fine with the
>> other SATA drives I use. I'm using MB chip set SATA controller. The
>> info on the 500GB SATA drive says for standard use you dont need any
>> jumpers, that being said I'v e tried jumpering the HD in various
>> settings to no avail. I was hopeing that some one with the same MB had
>> run in to the same problem with a 500GB SATA drive. Thanks for the
>> reply, though, I appreciate it.

> The capacity should matter at all here. But with using this tray, you
> might need to limit the drive to 1,5 Gbps. This will not impact the
> performance.

A.F.A.I.K. setting the jumper to 1.5 Gbps will affect the performance
of the drive. It will slow down the data-flow to and from the host
controller.

> Have you tried connecting the drive without using the tray-solution?
> And does the drive spin up at all when used in the tray?

André

Clas Mehus

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:48:02 +0100, André, PE1PQX
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A.F.A.I.K. setting the jumper to 1.5 Gbps will affect the performance
>of the drive. It will slow down the data-flow to and from the host
>controller.

In theory yes, in real world usage, no...

--
Clas Mehus
- "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."

dthomas1@san.rr.com

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:46:47 +0100, Clas Mehus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:26:39 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I have a "Hot Swap" tray on the system so can readly swap HDs,which I
>>do often, to run different operating systems. The manual states on
>>page 2-29 to use SATA drive connectors 1/2/5/6 for master. I have my
>>HD on one (1), and a seral DVD drive on six (6). Works fine with the
>>other SATA drives I use. I'm using MB chip set SATA controller. The
>>info on the 500GB SATA drive says for standard use you dont need any
>>jumpers, that being said I'v e tried jumpering the HD in various
>>settings to no avail. I was hopeing that some one with the same MB had
>>run in to the same problem with a 500GB SATA drive. Thanks for the
>>reply, though, I appreciate it.

>The capacity should matter at all here. But with using this tray, you
>might need to limit the drive to 1,5 Gbps. This will not impact the
>performance.

The tray should have no effect on the drive, the cableing is the same
whether I use the tray or not, but I've tried it both ways. The drive
spins up. I'm thinking I might have a bad drive so I intend to get a
shop to check it .

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 06:27:29 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>The tray should have no effect on the drive, the cableing is the same
>whether I use the tray or not, but I've tried it both ways. The drive
>spins up. I'm thinking I might have a bad drive so I intend to get a
>shop to check it .

I think Seagate have diagnostic-tools for download on their website.
Or, you can check if Ultimate Boot CD have the Seagate
diagnostic-tools: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/