Installation of Linksys WMP54G on ABIT BE6-II

Andrew

This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed convention.

I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
Windows XP machine running service pack 2

The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest revision
70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.

With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and windows
loads as usual.

When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI slots
and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
the process with all 5 PCI slots.

I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.

I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.

I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Quixote

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed convention.
>
> I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
> Windows XP machine running service pack 2
>
> The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
> system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest revision
> 70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.
>
> With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and windows
> loads as usual.
>
> When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI slots
> and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
> card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
> the process with all 5 PCI slots.
>
> I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.
>
> I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
> therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.
>
> I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Are you running the PCI bus out of spec? If you are overclocking or using a
user defined setup in softmenu, make sure you have the PCI divider set
correctly.

Quixote

Tom

"Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed convention.
>
> I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
> Windows XP machine running service pack 2
>
> The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
> system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest revision
> 70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.
>
> With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and windows
> loads as usual.
>
> When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI slots
> and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
> card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
> the process with all 5 PCI slots.
>
> I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.
>
> I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
> therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.
>
> I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

How far does the boot sequence get? At what point does
the system hang? Do you get a specific error message?

Leon Rowell

I just installed a Belkin wireless card in my BE6-II ver.2.0 with XP
Pro. I had to go to the Belkin web site and download the latest install
software & drivers and install them before I installed the card. My card
is in PCI slot 2. I don't know what your instructions say but mine said
to "install software before you install the card" You may have to try
removing the card if it shows up in "Device Manager" and uninstall any
software or drivers and start all over.

Leon Rowell

Andrew wrote:
> This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed convention.
>
> I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
> Windows XP machine running service pack 2
>
> The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
> system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest revision
> 70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.
>
> With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and windows
> loads as usual.
>
> When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI slots
> and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
> card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
> the process with all 5 PCI slots.
>
> I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.
>
> I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
> therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.
>
> I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

John Lewis

On 10 Jan 2005 06:51:43 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Andrew)
wrote:

>This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed convention.
>
>I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
>Windows XP machine running service pack 2
>
>The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
>system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest revision
>70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.
>
>With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and windows
>loads as usual.
>
>When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI slots
>and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
>card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
>the process with all 5 PCI slots.
>
>I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.
>
>I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
>therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.
>
>I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Does the system boot-up sufficiently to get at Safe Mode ( F8 ) ?

John Lewis

andrew.lienau@lineone.net

Hi John,

Sadly not, there seems to be a couple of seconds whilst attached
devices are checked (CD etc) and then it just hangs. The monitor is not
activated by this point. Out of frustration I have tried pluggiing the
card in with the os loaded and logged on ... p/c just froze and needed
re-booting with the card removed to operate again.

Andrew

John Lewis wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2005 06:51:43 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Andrew)
> wrote:
>
> >This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed

convention.

> >I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
> >Windows XP machine running service pack 2
> >
> >The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
> >system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest

revision
> >70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.
> >
> >With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and

windows
> >loads as usual.
> >
> >When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI

slots
> >and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
> >card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
> >the process with all 5 PCI slots.
> >
> >I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.
> >
> >I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
> >therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.
> >
> >I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

> Does the system boot-up sufficiently to get at Safe Mode ( F8 ) ?
>
> John Lewis

Tom

http://linksysinfo.org/modules.php?n...ewtopic&p=3737

http://www.computer-one.org/new-2229943-4569.html

http://linksysinfo.org/modules.php?n...ewtopic&p=3737

http://www.box-one.org/new-3108751-4556.html

etc.

Took all of 10 seconds to find with a Google search.

Try another brand/model card, or a more recent system
board.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi John,
>
> Sadly not, there seems to be a couple of seconds whilst attached
> devices are checked (CD etc) and then it just hangs. The monitor is not
> activated by this point. Out of frustration I have tried pluggiing the
> card in with the os loaded and logged on ... p/c just froze and needed
> re-booting with the card removed to operate again.
>
> Andrew
>
> John Lewis wrote:
> > On 10 Jan 2005 06:51:43 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Andrew)
> > wrote:
> >
> > >This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed

> convention.
> > >
> > >I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
> > >Windows XP machine running service pack 2
> > >
> > >The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
> > >system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest

> revision
> > >70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.
> > >
> > >With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and

> windows
> > >loads as usual.
> > >
> > >When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI

> slots
> > >and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
> > >card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
> > >the process with all 5 PCI slots.
> > >
> > >I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.
> > >
> > >I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
> > >therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.
> > >
> > >I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

> > Does the system boot-up sufficiently to get at Safe Mode ( F8 ) ?
> >
> > John Lewis

andrew.lienau@lineone.net

Tom, thanks for the links, I have clearly been searching with too
specific key words.

Ironically I finally received an email reply this morning advising the
card is incompatible with my chipset!
Can anyone recommend a card or model which should be compatible?

TomG

you could try clearing the CMOS using the jumper and include the bios
setting for resetting the ESCD and see if that will allow you to install the
card... another question is what type of power supply do you have in the
system? if the power supply is on the weak side, the addition of the card
could be enough to prevent the power supply from being able to run the
system.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed convention.
>
> I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
> Windows XP machine running service pack 2
>
> The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
> system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest revision
> 70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.
>
> With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and windows
> loads as usual.
>
> When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI slots
> and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
> card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
> the process with all 5 PCI slots.
>
> I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.
>
> I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
> therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.
>
> I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

TomG

pretty risky adding in a card while the system is live...