Installed SATA driver, but still no SATA

AL_n

I've just acquired an HP 6710b Core 2 Duo laptop with a newly formatted
hard drive. I tried loading XP prfessional (SP3), but it would not
recognise the hard drive. I disabled SATA in the BIOS, after which I was
able to install XP, presumably accessing the drive in IDE mode.

After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver
driver for this laptop, from the HP site.

I then enabled SATA in the BIOS, hoping I'd then be able to run the laptop
in the (faster) SATA mode, but when I tried this, the laptop wouldn't boot
up. After disabling SATA again, it booted up.

Can anyone tell me how to get SATA working?

Thank you..

Al

the wharf rat

In article <Xns9F8CBA38AA236zzzzzz@130.133.4.11>,
AL_n <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver
>driver for this laptop, from the HP site.

Ummmm you DID install the SATA driver, right?

AL_n

(E-Mail Removed) (the wharf rat) wrote in
news:j8f2k4$ji5$(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns9F8CBA38AA236zzzzzz@130.133.4.11>,
> AL_n <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller
>>Driver driver for this laptop, from the HP site.
>>

> Ummmm you DID install the SATA driver, right?

I think so, because in Device Manager under IDE/ATAPI controllers, I see:
Intel (R) ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA storage controller 2828

and "the device is working properly"

Is the above evidence that the driver is installed?

TIA

Al

Bob_Villa

On Oct 28, 12:21*pm, "AL_n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've just acquired an HP 6710b Core 2 Duo laptop with a newly formatted
> hard drive. I tried loading XP prfessional (SP3), but it would not
> recognise the hard drive. I disabled SATA in the BIOS, after which I was
> able to install XP, presumably accessing the drive in IDE mode.
>
> After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver *
> driver for this laptop, from the HP site.
>
> I then enabled SATA in the BIOS, hoping I'd then be able to run the laptop
> in the (faster) SATA mode, but when I tried this, the laptop wouldn't boot
> up. After disabling SATA again, it booted up.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get SATA working?
>
> Thank you..
>
> Al

When I had this problem I used a freeware called nLite and merged the
SATA drivers into an OEM copy of Windows. If I can do it...anyone
can! (I'm old)

Bob_Villa

On Oct 28, 12:21*pm, "AL_n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've just acquired an HP 6710b Core 2 Duo laptop with a newly formatted
> hard drive. I tried loading XP prfessional (SP3), but it would not
> recognise the hard drive. I disabled SATA in the BIOS, after which I was
> able to install XP, presumably accessing the drive in IDE mode.
>
> After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver *
> driver for this laptop, from the HP site.
>
> I then enabled SATA in the BIOS, hoping I'd then be able to run the laptop
> in the (faster) SATA mode, but when I tried this, the laptop wouldn't boot
> up. After disabling SATA again, it booted up.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get SATA working?
>
> Thank you..
>
> Al

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

AL_n

Bob_Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> When I had this problem I used a freeware called nLite and merged the
> SATA drivers into an OEM copy of Windows. If I can do it...anyone
> can! (I'm old)

Thanks. I tried this but it seems to require a complete reinstallation of
XP. On my system, it seems that this can only be done by reformatting the
hard drive. I was hoping to avoid that.

I guess it's not as simple as copying the driver files to
windows/System32... nor can it be done by updating the driver via evice
Manager, it seems.

Al

Bob_Villa

On Oct 29, 10:42*am, "AL_n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bob_Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > When I had this problem I used a freeware called nLite and merged the
> > SATA drivers into an OEM copy of Windows. *If I can do it...anyone
> > can! *(I'm old)

> Thanks. I tried this but it seems to require a complete reinstallation of
> XP. On my system, it seems that this can only be done by reformatting the
> hard drive. I was hoping to avoid that.
>
> I guess it's not as simple as copying the driver files to
> windows/System32... nor can it be done by updating the driver via evice
> Manager, it seems.
>
> Al

AFAIK, it HAS to be done from the install of a formatted drive.

AL_n

Bob_Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> AFAIK, it HAS to be done from the install of a formatted drive.

I see.. Did you notice a significant improvement in the speed of your
machine after you got SATA working with XP?

Al

Bob_Villa

On Oct 29, 10:51*am, "AL_n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bob_Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > AFAIK, it HAS to be done from the install of a formatted drive.

> I see.. Did you notice a significant improvement in the speed of your
> machine after you got SATA working with XP?
>
> Al

On my Dell 1545 it wouldn't load initially (loading files) then crap-
out. I never tried emulating IDE.