Installing U.S. Robotics USR5410 in XP

* * Chas

I just bought a U.S. Robotics USR5410, 802.11g PC Card. So far, it's
working great.

It has the best reception of any wireless PC Card I've used and it's the
only one that I've been able to get to work on Win98SE TPs (240x & T20).

The USR 802.11g Wireless Turbo Configuration Utility works OK in win98SE
but when I tried installing the card in XP, it seems to conflict with
the native XP wireless connection utility.

Is there any way to install the USR5410 and let XP install drivers
without using the USR installation program?

--
Chas. (E-Mail Removed) (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

BigJim

have you tried starting xp then hot-plugging the card in.

"* * Chas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just bought a U.S. Robotics USR5410, 802.11g PC Card. So far, it's
> working great.
>
> It has the best reception of any wireless PC Card I've used and it's the
> only one that I've been able to get to work on Win98SE TPs (240x & T20).
>
> The USR 802.11g Wireless Turbo Configuration Utility works OK in win98SE
> but when I tried installing the card in XP, it seems to conflict with
> the native XP wireless connection utility.
>
> Is there any way to install the USR5410 and let XP install drivers
> without using the USR installation program?
>
> --
> Chas. (E-Mail Removed) (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

GomJabbar

I suggest you check the documentation that came with the USR5410.
Sometimes if you let Windows install the drivers it thinks you need,
you end up with a big mess that's hard to fix.

* * Chas

"BigJim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> have you tried starting xp then hot-plugging the card in.

Tried that first. The Hardware Wizard can't find any drivers, they're
buried in the software installation file (setup.exe).

The USR instructions say to install the software first and then insert
the PC Card.

I recall reading something about setting up Windows Zero Configuration
utility without having to install the manufacturer's software. Any
ideas?

Chas.

* * Chas

"GomJabbar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I suggest you check the documentation that came with the USR5410.
> Sometimes if you let Windows install the drivers it thinks you need,
> you end up with a big mess that's hard to fix.

I read somewhere that there is a way to get around using the
manufacturer's drivers and just go with Windows Zero Configuration
utility. Any ideas?

Chas.

Quaoar

* * Chas wrote:
> "BigJim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> have you tried starting xp then hot-plugging the card in.

> Tried that first. The Hardware Wizard can't find any drivers, they're
> buried in the software installation file (setup.exe).
>
> The USR instructions say to install the software first and then insert
> the PC Card.
>
> I recall reading something about setting up Windows Zero Configuration
> utility without having to install the manufacturer's software. Any
> ideas?
>
> Chas.

First, mount the CD and search to find *.inf. There should be one for
Win9x and one for XP/2K probably in separate folders. Copy the entire
folder (to include *.cat and *.sys files) to your HD. Right-click the
inf and select Install (without the card inserted). This installs the
driver. Then insert the card. It should be identified.

If you cannot find the *.inf file, then go the USR and download the
latest driver version.

To disable the USR utility, Start/Run command, type: msconfig[enter].
Select the startup tab, find the USR utility by name and uncheck the box
in front of it. Reboot. Alternatively, Start/Run command/type:
regedit[enter] and navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run and
find the entry for the USR utility and delete the key for it.

To remove the USR utility permanently, Control Panel/Add Remove Programs
and uninstall the utility. The driver, if already installed should
remain installed unless USR has done something different than one would
normally expect.

To disable Wireless Zero Configuration, Control Panel/Administrative
Tools, Services option. Find WZC in the list, right click Stop to stop
the service. Right-click Properties and set the Startup type to
Disabled. Reboot

One of these should get you to where you want to be.

GomJabbar

You can try the 'Add Hardware' wizard in Windows and look to see if
your specific hardware is listed. If so, it would probably work OK.
You could do a Google search on microsoft.com and see if Microsoft has
a driver on their site for your specific device.

Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:02:52 -0600, "Quaoar" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>To disable the USR utility, Start/Run command, type: msconfig[enter].
>Select the startup tab, find the USR utility by name and uncheck the box
>in front of it. Reboot. Alternatively, Start/Run command/type:
>regedit[enter] and navigate to
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Run and
>find the entry for the USR utility and delete the key for it.

If you're going to play with the startup options, I suggest you use a
utility made for the purpose. Some drivers start in more than one
place in the registry. I suggest Starup Inspector for Windoze:
| http://www.WindowsStartup.com
This is especially useful as the MSCONFIG program supplies with XP
does not allow one to resize the window making it difficult to see
what is happening.

Also, there are installations that leave considerable junk behind in
temporary files that interfere with susequent attempts at
reinstallation. Programs that drop read-only temporary files or
read-only directories during startup are the major culprits. For
these, I use one of the disk cleanup utilities such as:
| http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/
There are more powerful and elaborate programs available, which will
clean out unused registry entries, unreferenced DLL's, and uninstalled
program registry entries. These must be used very carefully to avoid
a trashout and are overkill for simple cleaup tasks. (Make sure you
have the sound enabled when you run CLEANUP40. Heh-heh.)

--
Jeff Liebermann (E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

georgie

"* * Chas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>
> I recall reading something about setting up Windows Zero Configuration
> utility without having to install the manufacturer's software. Any
> ideas?
>
> Chas.

If the wireless driver for your card is not already part of Windows, install
the software that came with the card. Plug the card in, and let Windows
install, and configure the driver for the card.

Once the software that came with the card is installed, you can use Windows
Zero Config instead of the third-party software to control your wireless
card by disabling the third-party software from starting up. You can use
'msconfig' from the 'Run' command, and unselect the third-party wireless
card software from the startup list. After you restart, Windows Zero Config
should be active. It's automatically deactivated when third-party wireless
software is running.

I use Windows Zero Config to control my wireless connection for several
wireless cards, including: ORiNOCO Gold; IOGEAR GWP512 short card; and
D-Link DWL-650 Rev. M, and Rev. P.

dold@XReXXInsta.usenet.us.com

In alt.internet.wireless * * Chas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there any way to install the USR5410 and let XP install drivers
> without using the USR installation program?

If you have already installed the USR5410 drivers, it's harder, maybe
nearly impossible.

Locate the .inf for this card, adn see if you can easily determine which
drivers *.sys, where copied to the Windows directories. Make note of them,
or copy the .inf file to some place for later reference.

With the card installed, use whatever uninstall program the USR program
comes with, followed by going to the Windows Device Manger, and
uninstalling the device.

Take the card out and reboot. Go back to the Device Manager, click on
view, show hidden devices, and then go down to the network adapters and
verify that the card is not there. Delete it if it is.

If you have Windows XP with Service Pack 2, from a clean start, you can
make some other connection to the internet, maybe wired. Insert the new
card, and let Windows search the web for drivers. Nothing from the
Wireless Maufacturer's CD, nor web site.

If it doesn't ask if it can search the web or look to a CD, it is probably
using the drivers you already installed. That might be okay. If you still
don't like it, uninstall the card again, and move the *.sys files mentioned
in the .inf file out of the Windows directories, and try again.

You can look at the properties of the card to see what drivers were loaded.

--
---