Installing windows problem with my Soyo!

Jerry Cargile

I have a SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra (Platinum Edition)with a 1200 Duron
processor, which will not install windows XP. When I try installing it,
as it copies the files needed to install the OS, I get a lot of (can't
find file so and so). This happens quite a bit until I get a blue
screen error that says it can't be installed. I know it's not a faulty
drive, because I can install XP without a hitch on another board.

So...I suppose it is either a bad board, or bad cpu. Has anyone ever
experienced this kind of problem loading windows XP?

Any feedback will be appreciated, because I really like this board and
hate to throw it away not knowing if it was bad, or not.

Jerry

f/fgeorge

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:01:15 -0500, Jerry Cargile
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra (Platinum Edition)with a 1200 Duron
>processor, which will not install windows XP. When I try installing it,
>as it copies the files needed to install the OS, I get a lot of (can't
>find file so and so). This happens quite a bit until I get a blue
>screen error that says it can't be installed. I know it's not a faulty
>drive, because I can install XP without a hitch on another board.
>
>So...I suppose it is either a bad board, or bad cpu. Has anyone ever
>experienced this kind of problem loading windows XP?
>
>Any feedback will be appreciated, because I really like this board and
>hate to throw it away not knowing if it was bad, or not.
>
>Jerry
>..

Bad disk? If the disk has been used many times it will become harder
and harder to read. If you have a boot disk you can try booting into
DOS and then making an I386 directory and copying that directory off
thedrive into that directory and then install from there. Put the cd
back in as it starts to load Windows in case it needs something off
the disk.Winnt32.exe is the name of the the actual install file you
use to do the install.

andy

Try running a memory test: (http://www.memtest.org/).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra (Platinum Edition)with a 1200 Duron
>processor, which will not install windows XP. When I try installing it,
>as it copies the files needed to install the OS, I get a lot of (can't
>find file so and so). This happens quite a bit until I get a blue
>screen error that says it can't be installed. I know it's not a faulty
>drive, because I can install XP without a hitch on another board.
>
>So...I suppose it is either a bad board, or bad cpu. Has anyone ever
>experienced this kind of problem loading windows XP?
>
>Any feedback will be appreciated, because I really like this board and
>hate to throw it away not knowing if it was bad, or not.
>
>Jerry
>..

Jerry Cargile

f/fgeorge wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:01:15 -0500, Jerry Cargile
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra (Platinum Edition)with a 1200 Duron
>> processor, which will not install windows XP. When I try installing it,
>> as it copies the files needed to install the OS, I get a lot of (can't
>> find file so and so). This happens quite a bit until I get a blue
>> screen error that says it can't be installed. I know it's not a faulty
>> drive, because I can install XP without a hitch on another board.
>>
>> So...I suppose it is either a bad board, or bad cpu. Has anyone ever
>> experienced this kind of problem loading windows XP?
>>
>> Any feedback will be appreciated, because I really like this board and
>> hate to throw it away not knowing if it was bad, or not.
>>
>> Jerry
>> ..

> Bad disk? If the disk has been used many times it will become harder
> and harder to read. If you have a boot disk you can try booting into
> DOS and then making an I386 directory and copying that directory off
> thedrive into that directory and then install from there. Put the cd
> back in as it starts to load Windows in case it needs something off
> the disk.Winnt32.exe is the name of the the actual install file you
> use to do the install.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out. I have a Soyo KT400 Dragon
Ultra and an Asus A7V133 which I hate to throw away without knowing for
sure that they are toast, but the computer shop wants $45 to check the
mobos and cpus...that's each one of them. So counting my two Duron 1200
cpus, it's gonna cost a lot more than a replacement board of some kind.

Thanks again for your advice.

Jerry

f/fgeorge

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:26:04 -0500, Jerry Cargile
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>f/fgeorge wrote:
>> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:01:15 -0500, Jerry Cargile
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra (Platinum Edition)with a 1200 Duron
>>> processor, which will not install windows XP. When I try installing it,
>>> as it copies the files needed to install the OS, I get a lot of (can't
>>> find file so and so). This happens quite a bit until I get a blue
>>> screen error that says it can't be installed. I know it's not a faulty
>>> drive, because I can install XP without a hitch on another board.
>>>
>>> So...I suppose it is either a bad board, or bad cpu. Has anyone ever
>>> experienced this kind of problem loading windows XP?
>>>
>>> Any feedback will be appreciated, because I really like this board and
>>> hate to throw it away not knowing if it was bad, or not.
>>>
>>> Jerry
>>> ..

>> Bad disk? If the disk has been used many times it will become harder
>> and harder to read. If you have a boot disk you can try booting into
>> DOS and then making an I386 directory and copying that directory off
>> thedrive into that directory and then install from there. Put the cd
>> back in as it starts to load Windows in case it needs something off
>> the disk.Winnt32.exe is the name of the the actual install file you
>> use to do the install.

>Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out. I have a Soyo KT400 Dragon
>Ultra and an Asus A7V133 which I hate to throw away without knowing for
>sure that they are toast, but the computer shop wants $45 to check the
>mobos and cpus...that's each one of them. So counting my two Duron 1200
>cpus, it's gonna cost a lot more than a replacement board of some kind.
>
>Thanks again for your advice.
>
>Jerry
>..

No problem, I have personally been donating those older mb's and cpu's
to the foster kids at work. I have moved onto faster and more, as in
dual and quad core, cpu's. This old mb does not support all that so I
donated it too. I wipe out the harddrive and then put Linux on it with
a genric name and password and the kids just love the fact that they
then have something to call their own!

But on the Windows machines I do keep, I have been doing this for a
long time, it loads MUCH faster from the harddrive then from a cd.