Intel 82850-E Chipset

aether

Dell Dimension. Pentium 4. It came with RDRAM. My question is, does
this motherboard/chipset support basic DDR SDRAM? Or, is it exclusively
built for RDRAM? (which has basically vanished from existence)

RBM

If it came with Rambus, you're stuck with it. I would think you can get a
memory upgrade through Dell though
"aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Dell Dimension. Pentium 4. It came with RDRAM. My question is, does
> this motherboard/chipset support basic DDR SDRAM? Or, is it exclusively
> built for RDRAM? (which has basically vanished from existence)

Bob Day

"aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Dell Dimension. Pentium 4. It came with RDRAM. My question is, does
> this motherboard/chipset support basic DDR SDRAM?

No.

> Or, is it exclusively
> built for RDRAM? (which has basically vanished from existence)

Try at http://www.4allmemory.com

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

H.W. Stockman

"aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Dell Dimension. Pentium 4. It came with RDRAM. My question is, does
> this motherboard/chipset support basic DDR SDRAM? Or, is it exclusively
> built for RDRAM? (which has basically vanished from existence)

Rambus is still available.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...roperty&DEPA=1

aether

That's what I was hoping wasn't the case. It's a shame RDRAM didn't
catch wind. I suppose it was before it's time.

Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio

> I suppose it was before it's time.
Not the case. It was a case of lawyer greed at its worst.

--
Pepe
Milano, Italy

Richard Hopkins

"aether" wrote in message...
> That's what I was hoping wasn't the case.

Them's the breaks.

> It's a shame RDRAM didn't catch wind.

No, it's far better for both the PC industry and computer owners that it
died on its arse. Unfortunate for you and the other Rambus PC owners maybe,
but them's the breaks.

> I suppose it was before it's time.

Not remotely. It was a somewhat flawed technology driven by a greedy,
notoriously litigious intellectual property firm. Intel made a major mistake
in adopting it, and backtracked as soon as their agreement with Rambus Inc.
allowed them to.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

DaveW

It uses RDRAM only.

--
DaveW

"aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Dell Dimension. Pentium 4. It came with RDRAM. My question is, does
> this motherboard/chipset support basic DDR SDRAM? Or, is it exclusively
> built for RDRAM? (which has basically vanished from existence)

H.W. Stockman

"Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4251320b$0$295$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "aether" wrote in message...
> > That's what I was hoping wasn't the case.

> Them's the breaks.
>
> > It's a shame RDRAM didn't catch wind.

> No, it's far better for both the PC industry and computer owners that it
> died on its arse. Unfortunate for you and the other Rambus PC owners

maybe,
> but them's the breaks.
>
> > I suppose it was before it's time.

> Not remotely. It was a somewhat flawed technology driven by a greedy,
> notoriously litigious intellectual property firm. Intel made a major

mistake
> in adopting it, and backtracked as soon as their agreement with Rambus

Inc.
> allowed them to.

The proof is in the pudding. Quad rambus will be used in game consoles,
because it is much faster than DDR, DDR2, or any other super-duper-matched
pair-low-latency DDR (that PC enthusiasts shell out premium bucks for, to
squeeze out an extra smidgen of performance), when it comes to streaming
large amounts of data.

In January of 2001, the price of rambus was ~ the same as DDR, per megabyte.
If you wanted real memory performance, rambus would always win over DDR (at
the time, there was no DDR system that could dome within a factor of 3 of
rambus for my own particular benchmarks). But the enthusiast tide turned,
and DDR prices eventually followed the laws of economics. Manufacturing
prices eventually fall with electronics, the more an item becomes commodity.

Four years have passed, and the fastest AMD DDR system I was able to afford
is 2.15 times faster -- for my memory-intensive programs -- than the 1.4 GHz
P4 rambus system I put together in 2001. I have absolutely no doubt that
quad rambus, with the new fast access times, would give me a much better
performance boost.

I've had two rambus and three DDR systems. The latter are much quirkier for
memory tuning. I simply put together my asus rambus system (2nd P4) with
inexpensive vanilla memory, overclocked 10%, and have been running it for
3.5 years. I've had to futz and futz with the DDR systems to get any
increment.

While I can appreciate that people were irritated by the rambus company
litigiousness, I can also appreciate that people seemed rather blind to how
common this sort of shenanigan is in the corporate world, especially when a
company's stock values begin to tumble.

David Schwartz

"H.W. Stockman" <stockman3@earth-REMOVE_THIS-link.net> wrote in message
news:BMj4e.409$(E-Mail Removed) .net...

> The proof is in the pudding. Quad rambus will be used in game consoles,
> because it is much faster than DDR, DDR2, or any other super-duper-matched
> pair-low-latency DDR (that PC enthusiasts shell out premium bucks for, to
> squeeze out an extra smidgen of performance), when it comes to streaming
> large amounts of data.

Actually, rambus is preferred in game consoles because you can get high
performance without having to have large amounts of memory. For PCs, you are
going to have lots of memory anyway.

DS