Intel Motherboards (or other) that support Hyper V in Server 2008

reetsemail@gmail.com

Hi folks. I'm trying to put together an inexpensive system that will
run server 2008 and be able to use HyperV. I know there are certain
things that the processor must be able to do and the motherboard as
well. I can't seem to find a list of motherboards or CPUs that will
perform this functionality. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Puddin' Man

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:25:17 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi folks. I'm trying to put together an inexpensive system that will
>run server 2008 and be able to use HyperV. I know there are certain
>things that the processor must be able to do and the motherboard as
>well. I can't seem to find a list of motherboards or CPUs that will
>perform this functionality. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You are a little light on details of what HW/SW you want to
implement.

Start with "Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT)" at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_vir....28Intel_VT.29

Then run searches on catchphrases like "Intel VT" and look for
them in descriptions of cpu's, boards you might want to consider.

Puddin'

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

reetsemail@gmail.com

Hi there. I'm not really concerned about what type of hardware for
the CPU or the mobo. Just omething that will get the job done as far
as virtualization and can support a good amount of ram. Nothing
fancy. Does the board really matter? I still can't get a definitive
answer on that. Thanks.

Puddin' Man

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:34:18 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi there. I'm not really concerned about what type of hardware for
>the CPU or the mobo.

Then you may well be barking up the wrong tree.

>Just omething that will get the job done as far
>as virtualization and can support a good amount of ram.

You wanna run Server08 and Hyper-V. Eh?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-V...Specifications

System requirements / Specifications:
An x64-based processor running an x64 version of Windows Server 2008 Standard,
Windows Server 2008 Enterprise or Windows Server 2008 Datacenter.

Hardware-assisted virtualization. This is available in processors that include
a virtualization option; specifically, Intel VT or AMD Virtualization (AMD-V,
formerly code-named "Pacifica").

>Nothing
>fancy. Does the board really matter? I still can't get a definitive
>answer on that. Thanks.

Here's a definitive answer: "The Board ALWAYS Counts!".

What in the world are you trying to do? Users, Applications, etc???