Intel pentium 4 Motherboard USB question

CIL

Top of the evening,

If this is not the correct group Please let me know, any help will be
appreciated.

I have a PC that has the above motherboard with a 2.53Ghz chip. The PC is
about 20 months old. It has 4 usb ports.

About 6 months ago I needed another usb port and bought a hub (stratitec)
that has certified Hi Speed on the front of the unit. I plugged this into
an existing usb port and plugged 2 thumb drives into the hub. I do not know
if this is a coincidence or what but ever since I get a message when I plug
any usb device into any of the 4 ports that says some thing to the effect
of "this unit can perform faster".

I bought an external drive and it is extremely slow on this machine - used
it on my laptop and much faster.

What do I need to check/do?

Thanks to all.

Bob Bailin

"CIL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:2MG6i.189752$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Top of the evening,
>
> If this is not the correct group Please let me know, any help will be appreciated.
>
> I have a PC that has the above motherboard with a 2.53Ghz chip. The PC is about 20
> months old. It has 4 usb ports.
>
> About 6 months ago I needed another usb port and bought a hub (stratitec) that has
> certified Hi Speed on the front of the unit. I plugged this into an existing usb port
> and plugged 2 thumb drives into the hub. I do not know if this is a coincidence or what
> but ever since I get a message when I plug any usb device into any of the 4 ports that
> says some thing to the effect of "this unit can perform faster".
>
> I bought an external drive and it is extremely slow on this machine - used it on my
> laptop and much faster.
>
> What do I need to check/do?
>
> Thanks to all.

If you unplug the hub from an existing USB port and plug the thumb drive
directly into that port, do you still get this message ("this unit can perform
faster")?

If not, then your hub is not really USB 2.0 compliant, despite what it
says on the package. You're only getting 1.1 speeds.

If you still get the message when plugged directly into a motherboard USB
port, then you should go into the mb's BIOS setup and enable USB 2.0
support.

Bob

CIL

Hi Bob,
Yes I have not used the hub for several months (unplugged) and I still get
the "this unit can perform faster" message on all thumb drives and the new
Ext drive.

Where do I check to see which drivers that I have loaded and how can I
verify that they are correct. I would bet $$ that at one time this PC was
operating at 2.0.

Thanks for the help..

"Bob Bailin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Lv_6i.6550$(E-Mail Removed) t...

> "CIL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:2MG6i.189752$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Top of the evening,
>>
>> If this is not the correct group Please let me know, any help will be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> I have a PC that has the above motherboard with a 2.53Ghz chip. The PC
>> is about 20 months old. It has 4 usb ports.
>>
>> About 6 months ago I needed another usb port and bought a hub (stratitec)
>> that has certified Hi Speed on the front of the unit. I plugged this
>> into an existing usb port and plugged 2 thumb drives into the hub. I do
>> not know if this is a coincidence or what but ever since I get a message
>> when I plug any usb device into any of the 4 ports that says some thing
>> to the effect of "this unit can perform faster".
>>
>> I bought an external drive and it is extremely slow on this machine -
>> used it on my laptop and much faster.
>>
>> What do I need to check/do?
>>
>> Thanks to all.
>>

> If you unplug the hub from an existing USB port and plug the thumb drive
> directly into that port, do you still get this message ("this unit can
> perform
> faster")?
>
> If not, then your hub is not really USB 2.0 compliant, despite what it
> says on the package. You're only getting 1.1 speeds.
>
> If you still get the message when plugged directly into a motherboard USB
> port, then you should go into the mb's BIOS setup and enable USB 2.0
> support.
>
> Bob

Bob Bailin

You can go into Device Manager and right-click on all of the devices
listed in the USB section and uninstall these devices.

Reboot the computer, go into the BIOS and verify that any USB settings
are set to 2.0 or hi-speed mode.

When Windows starts up again, the USB controllers, hubs and devices
will be re-detected, hopefully as 2.0 devices this time. Any thumb drive
you plug into a motherboard USB port should *not* give you that warning
message.

You don't mention which motherboard you're using. I would check the
specs for the mb model and see if it does have USB 2.0 ports builtin.

Bob

"CIL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:l817i.88906$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Bob,
> Yes I have not used the hub for several months (unplugged) and I still get the "this
> unit can perform faster" message on all thumb drives and the new Ext drive.
>
> Where do I check to see which drivers that I have loaded and how can I verify that
> they are correct. I would bet $$ that at one time this PC was operating at 2.0.
>
> Thanks for the help..
>

> "Bob Bailin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Lv_6i.6550$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>>
>> "CIL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:2MG6i.189752$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Top of the evening,
>>>
>>> If this is not the correct group Please let me know, any help will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> I have a PC that has the above motherboard with a 2.53Ghz chip. The PC is about 20
>>> months old. It has 4 usb ports.
>>>
>>> About 6 months ago I needed another usb port and bought a hub (stratitec) that has
>>> certified Hi Speed on the front of the unit. I plugged this into an existing usb port
>>> and plugged 2 thumb drives into the hub. I do not know if this is a coincidence or
>>> what but ever since I get a message when I plug any usb device into any of the 4
>>> ports that says some thing to the effect of "this unit can perform faster".
>>>
>>> I bought an external drive and it is extremely slow on this machine - used it on my
>>> laptop and much faster.
>>>
>>> What do I need to check/do?
>>>
>>> Thanks to all.
>>>

>> If you unplug the hub from an existing USB port and plug the thumb drive
>> directly into that port, do you still get this message ("this unit can perform
>> faster")?
>>
>> If not, then your hub is not really USB 2.0 compliant, despite what it
>> says on the package. You're only getting 1.1 speeds.
>>
>> If you still get the message when plugged directly into a motherboard USB
>> port, then you should go into the mb's BIOS setup and enable USB 2.0
>> support.
>>
>> Bob

CIL

Bob,

I got it. I went to Intel website and downloaded and installed the drivers.

Works fine now, can't understand why they were blown away.

Thanks for you help and hope that you have a great weekend.

news:dPh7i.11883$(E-Mail Removed) et...