Intel(R) Desktop Board D865GBF Crashed and now won't power up

Alan C. Jones

Friends,
I just posted this on Intel's web site. Maybe someone here has had similar
problems?"

Intel(R) Desktop Board D865GBF Email Support Request
"PC shut down during normal operation but then wouldn't even do post or
beeps. Swapped out Intel P4 2.6 CPU for identical unit, then swapped each
CPU through D865glc Mboard with same results for all. Unplugged all cables
except power and video. No beeps or display, only fans running. What did I
miss?, and what now?"
Also powered down and removed battery for an hour, but with no improvement.
Removed memory all but 1 in Slot O Channel A, but no change.
Everything had been functioning well prior to crash.
Thanks for any thought you may have.
Alan

Bob Bailin

"Alan C. Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Friends,
> I just posted this on Intel's web site. Maybe someone here has had similar problems?"
>
> Intel(R) Desktop Board D865GBF Email Support Request
> "PC shut down during normal operation but then wouldn't even do post or beeps. Swapped
> out Intel P4 2.6 CPU for identical unit, then swapped each CPU through D865glc Mboard
> with same results for all. Unplugged all cables except power and video. No beeps or
> display, only fans running. What did I miss?, and what now?"
> Also powered down and removed battery for an hour, but with no improvement. Removed
> memory all but 1 in Slot O Channel A, but no change.
> Everything had been functioning well prior to crash.
> Thanks for any thought you may have.
> Alan

Try removing all the memory from the board, and then power it up. You should
get a beep code indicating no memory present. If it's still silent, then you either
have a defective mb, a bad CPU or a bad power supply. If it beeps, then all of the BIOS
settings,
including memory timings, will be set to their default values. Sometimes this is
the only way to reset an Intel mb after playing around with BIOS settings and
rendering the system unbootable.

I don't understand what you meant by "...swapped each CPU through D865glc
Mboard with same results for all." Do you mean that every CPU you have,
including the one from the non-working D865GBF, works in a different
D865GLC you also have on hand?

The last time this happened to me, it was a bad power supply that wasn't
completely dead, just a deficient 5V line (so the fans still worked).

Bob

Bob Bailin

"Bob Bailin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsGA9i.16309$(E-Mail Removed) et...

> "Alan C. Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Friends,
>> I just posted this on Intel's web site. Maybe someone here has had similar problems?"
>>
>> Intel(R) Desktop Board D865GBF Email Support Request
>> "PC shut down during normal operation but then wouldn't even do post or beeps. Swapped
>> out Intel P4 2.6 CPU for identical unit, then swapped each CPU through D865glc Mboard
>> with same results for all. Unplugged all cables except power and video. No beeps or
>> display, only fans running. What did I miss?, and what now?"
>> Also powered down and removed battery for an hour, but with no improvement. Removed
>> memory all but 1 in Slot O Channel A, but no change.
>> Everything had been functioning well prior to crash.
>> Thanks for any thought you may have.
>> Alan

> Try removing all the memory from the board, and then power it up. You should
> get a beep code indicating no memory present. If it's still silent, then you either
> have a defective mb, a bad CPU or a bad power supply. If it beeps, then all of the BIOS
> settings,
> including memory timings, will be set to their default values. Sometimes this is
> the only way to reset an Intel mb after playing around with BIOS settings and
> rendering the system unbootable.
>
> I don't understand what you meant by "...swapped each CPU through D865glc
> Mboard with same results for all." Do you mean that every CPU you have,
> including the one from the non-working D865GBF, works in a different
> D865GLC you also have on hand?
>
> The last time this happened to me, it was a bad power supply that wasn't
> completely dead, just a deficient 5V line (so the fans still worked).

Also, since this is a P4, make sure the 4-pin CPU power cable is plugged
in firmly to the mb.

Alan C. Jones

Hi Bob,
I mean that I took my friend's formerly working CPU removed from
another, upgraded MB and could't get even a beep. Ditto for spare D865GLC
MB, and even swapped out a spare power supply! I did remove all memory and
power up. I get no beeps at all under any conditions, and no video at all.
This "Midas touch in reverse" is driving me crazy!!!
Thanks for your thoughts,
Alan.