Intel Smack Down and i7

Jack

I have just finished this system build and have one small problem..
I have 32 bit Xp and 3 gig of DDR3 installed together with 2 Geforce 9600
GSO. Now the problem arrises when i boot after the system has been off
overnight or for some time during the day.
On first boot it goes through the process then i have no picture on the
monitor, its only a day old so i know its not that and anyway, it did it
with the old one as well.
If i reset then the system boots to the naughty screen lol......... i
choose to load windows normally and the system boots straigh to GUI. Its a
pain more than anything and with the whole set up being new i hate the idea
of it not working as it should,
BIOS is latest as is the board drivers, and the video drivers. ANy ideas
anyone ????

daytripper

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:20:20 GMT, "Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have just finished this system build and have one small problem..
>I have 32 bit Xp and 3 gig of DDR3 installed together with 2 Geforce 9600
>GSO. Now the problem arrises when i boot after the system has been off
>overnight or for some time during the day.
>On first boot it goes through the process then i have no picture on the
>monitor, its only a day old so i know its not that and anyway, it did it
>with the old one as well.
>If i reset then the system boots to the naughty screen lol......... i
>choose to load windows normally and the system boots straigh to GUI. Its a
>pain more than anything and with the whole set up being new i hate the idea
>of it not working as it should,
>BIOS is latest as is the board drivers, and the video drivers. ANy ideas
>anyone ????

"its only a day old so i know its not that and anyway, it did it
with the old one as well."

You might want to explain that as it is likely key to your problems.
What parts did you reuse from "the old one", for instance...

Jack

Sorry, i can see that seems to make little sense now, Anyway, there is
nothing in the systen from the old one it was the monitor i was talking
about.

I bought a new one to go with the new system but tried the old one as well.
Same problem occurs with both

daytripper

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:47:39 GMT, "Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sorry, i can see that seems to make little sense now, Anyway, there is
>nothing in the systen from the old one it was the monitor i was talking
>about.
>
>I bought a new one to go with the new system but tried the old one as well.
>Same problem occurs with both

When you boot from a "cold state" do you ever see the bios-driven screens or
are those black as well?

If you at least see the initial Windows boot screen I'd try pressing F8 when
Windows tries to load and enable boot logging, then examine the ntbtlog.txt in
the \<windir> folder to see what happened...

Jack

But what a silly name,

Thank you daytripper and i see theintel screen, the changing number and
letter sequences in the bottom right corner and windows Xp screen its not
till the actual boot to winows that it dies, press reset and let it go again
and it boots straight in.

Maybe its the double graphics,,,,,,,,, but i suppose if thats all i have to
complain about then its not so bad.

Awesome when it does boot though.

Robert McMillan

I have seen a similar issue before where the computer will display all the
images up till the logon screen and then the display would just go blank.
unplug and replug the monitor on the same port and it would start working
again. Some sort of incompatibility between certain monitors and video cards
with the monitor not correctly identifying itself on the dvi port. Was
solved on this particular computer by putting a DVI->VGA adapter on the
video card and then running a VGA cable to the monitor (monitor had both DVI
and VGA ports). Not an ideal solution because DVI is better quality that VGA
but the computer worked first time every time.
HTH
Robert
news:PBlxl.2084$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> But what a silly name,
>
> Thank you daytripper and i see theintel screen, the changing number and
> letter sequences in the bottom right corner and windows Xp screen its not
> till the actual boot to winows that it dies, press reset and let it go
> again and it boots straight in.
>
> Maybe its the double graphics,,,,,,,,, but i suppose if thats all i have
> to complain about then its not so bad.
>
> Awesome when it does boot though.

Jack

Thanks for that Robert but it does it with the Formac and with a new Dell. I
can only think to take one graphics card out and try it with a single one
in and see if it is something to do with the graphics set up.

Jack

Memory not seated right,,,,,,,,,,,, no

Power leads to graphics cards not plugged in right.,............... no

Power lead loose....................... no

In other words they have no idea whatsoever so its users fault.

daytripper

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:10:45 GMT, "Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for that Robert but it does it with the Formac and with a new Dell. I
>can only think to take one graphics card out and try it with a single one
>in and see if it is something to do with the graphics set up.

That'd certainly be worth a try. Let us know what happens...

Yousuf Khan

Jack wrote:
> But what a silly name,
>
> Thank you daytripper and i see theintel screen, the changing number and
> letter sequences in the bottom right corner and windows Xp screen its not
> till the actual boot to winows that it dies, press reset and let it go again
> and it boots straight in.
>
> Maybe its the double graphics,,,,,,,,, but i suppose if thats all i have to
> complain about then its not so bad.
>
> Awesome when it does boot though.

Do you know what sized power supply you have? For SLI or Crossfire, you
typically need at least a 600W power supply.

Yousuf Khan