intel wireless card

Peter

I noticed dell is now selling the Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N and I
wanted to find out if anyone new if this was flash upgradable to when
the N comes a standard. I think now its in its 2nd draft revision but
still not a standard which probably won't be until later this year.

Thanks,
Pete

Ben Myers

Anything you buy now that is Pre-N is likely to be a throwaway when true 802.11n
equipment becomes available, conforming to the standard and interoperating
freely with other standard 802.11n devices, using true 802.11n capabilities, of
course.

That's the bad news. The good news is that 802.11n standard microPCI cards for
notebooks will probably cost no more than $40 to $50, like today's 802.11g
cards... Ben Myers

On 3 Mar 2007 13:27:37 -0800, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I noticed dell is now selling the Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N and I
>wanted to find out if anyone new if this was flash upgradable to when
>the N comes a standard. I think now its in its 2nd draft revision but
>still not a standard which probably won't be until later this year.
>
>Thanks,
>Pete

Chris558

On Mar 3, 4:14 pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Anything you buy now that is Pre-N is likely to be a throwaway when true 802.11n
> equipment becomes available, conforming to the standard and interoperating
> freely with other standard 802.11n devices, using true 802.11n capabilities, of
> course.
>
> That's the bad news. The good news is that 802.11n standard microPCI cards for
> notebooks will probably cost no more than $40 to $50, like today's 802.11g
> cards... Ben Myers

is there a way to open the case of dells notebooks, inspiron 6400, and
remove the old wireless card and put a new one in its place.

S.Lewis

"Chris558" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Mar 3, 4:14 pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Anything you buy now that is Pre-N is likely to be a throwaway when true
>> 802.11n
>> equipment becomes available, conforming to the standard and
>> interoperating
>> freely with other standard 802.11n devices, using true 802.11n
>> capabilities, of
>> course.
>>
>> That's the bad news. The good news is that 802.11n standard microPCI
>> cards for
>> notebooks will probably cost no more than $40 to $50, like today's
>> 802.11g
>> cards... Ben Myers

> is there a way to open the case of dells notebooks, inspiron 6400, and
> remove the old wireless card and put a new one in its place.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1052769

Stew

Ben Myers

I neglected to state that the internal wifi card in the newer notebooks may not
be miniPCI, but another newer standard form factor. Same deal though. Easily
removed and replaced due to sensible (finally!) industry-wide standardization.