Interesting AX4SPE-N RAM discovery

The Devil

Here's my original RAM bank setup on my AX4SPE-N board:

Bank 1

Slot 1 = colored blue <------ 512 stick
Slot 2 = colored purple <------512 stick

Bank 2

Slot 3 = colored blue <------(empty)
Slot 4 = colored purple <------(empty)

I have two sticks of Crucial CL=3 DDR400 512MB on my mobo, 1024MB
total. I placed both of them in Bank 1, in Slot 1 and Slot 2. Did
the SiSoft Sandra Memory Bandwidth Benchmark and noted the results.

Then I took the second stick, previously occupying Slot 2, and placed
it in Bank 2, Slot 3. Did the same Sandra test and my Benchmark
numbers jumped SIGNIFICANTLY, nearly double!

Here's the second, much better performing setup:

Bank 1

Slot 1 = blue <------512 stick
Slot 2 = purple <------(empty)

Bank 2

Slot 3 = blue <------512 stick
Slot 4 = purple <------(empty)

See the attached image files. The first one shows the layout & colors
of the banks. The second image shows the results after making the
switch and compares it with the previous results.

Some of you gurus out there probably knew to do this, but this being
my first time using 128-bit DDR Dual Channel.

I got the idea to try this when I was cruising the AOpen web site and
saw, in a picture in one of their performance trials, one stick in
each bank, not two sticks in one bank.

TD

Basic system information: P4 2.4c, hardware RAID 1 array, Win2kPro.

I'm everywhere you want to be.

The Devil

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:26:54 -0400, The Devil <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

DUH, forgot to attach the images. Here they are.

TD
I'm everywhere you want to be.

The Devil

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:28:58 -0400, The Devil <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:26:54 -0400, The Devil <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>DUH, forgot to attach the images. Here they are.
>
>TD
>I'm everywhere you want to be.

Oh well, trying again to post the images. :^(

Should be ram.gif.

TD

I'm everywhere you want to be.

Michael J. Apollyon

> I got the idea to try this when I was cruising the AOpen web
site and
> saw, in a picture in one of their performance trials, one

stick in
> each bank, not two sticks in one bank.

Yes, dual channel DDR works much better when you actually use
it. :-)

Re: Aspire Notebook Wireless discovery software? Fr Corey Acer 0 04-06-2008 06:03 AM
Zigbee device discovery ramprasadpb1984@gmail.com Embedded 0 08-22-2007 04:06 AM
Emachines M6805 overheating problem: foil discovery Tim BandTechnology Laptops 5 10-23-2006 01:20 PM
NEC Discovery 213L @(none) Laptops 0 05-09-2004 10:43 PM
Bios discovery for Compaq Presario 700 laptop? LSU Tiger Laptops 3 10-07-2003 10:02 PM