Intermittently stripey Hard Drive icon in OSX

Vaughan Wittorff

I have noticed a strange bug in Mac OS X 10.1.6, on an iBook.

Everything will be fine for some time. Then after some hours/days of
having the machine running, often (but not always) after one or more
sleep/wakeups, single- or double-clicking on the main desktop Hard Drive
icon will cause it to change to a darker-grey version (as usual) but
with one, two or three thick black horizonal bands across the icon.
Often the icon does back to normal when it is deselected (so that it
goes back to the lighter shade of grey), but after this behaviour has
been going on for some time, the lighter grey icon also gets corrupted
in the same way. Later, the Hard Drive icon at the top of the Computer
folder goes the same way. Also, the number or density of black
horizontal bands can get worse and worse.

Restarting puts things back to normal... for a while!

Has anyone seen similar behaviour? Any educated guesses about the
cause? And most importantly: Is there a cure? (please don't say upgrade
to Jaguar or Panther - I'm intending to do that sometime soon anyway)

I do not autoload OS9, and never use the iBook in Classic mode.

Cheers,
Vaughan

PageNinja

> Is there a cure? (please don't say upgrade
> to Jaguar or Panther - I'm intending to do that sometime soon anyway)

mmfmfmf mf Jagmff om Panmff - they fix it. Annoying it was to me too. I'd
wait for Panmff now though.

Vaughan Wittorff

PageNinja wrote:

> Vaughan Wittorff wrote: [anally added back in for completeness by VW]
> > I have noticed a strange bug in Mac OS X 10.1.6, on an iBook.
> > Everything will be fine for some time. Then after some hours/days of
> > having the machine running, often (but not always) after one or more
> > sleep/wakeups, single- or double-clicking on the main desktop Hard
> > Drive icon will cause it to change to a darker-grey version (as usual)
> > but with one, two or three thick black horizonal bands across the icon.

<stuff deleted>
> > Has anyone seen similar behaviour? Any educated guesses about the
> > cause? And most importantly: Is there a cure? (please don't say
> > upgrade to Jaguar or Panther - I'm intending to do that sometime
> > soon anyway)
> >

> mmfmfmf mf Jagmff om Panmff - they fix it. Annoying it was to me too. I'd
> wait for Panmff now though.

So does that mean you used to see the same on OSX 10.1? That would make
me happy - at least in the sense that I'm not alone (at least didn't
used to be until I was the last with 10.1).

And you know for a fact that Jaguar fixes it? That would also make me
happy.

I guess no-one would actually have a cure in OSX 10.1 though?...

Vaughan

Tom Harrington

In article <bhrkiq$5e9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"@(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> PageNinja wrote:
> >
> > Vaughan Wittorff wrote: [anally added back in for completeness by VW]
> > > I have noticed a strange bug in Mac OS X 10.1.6, on an iBook.
> > > Everything will be fine for some time. Then after some hours/days of
> > > having the machine running, often (but not always) after one or more
> > > sleep/wakeups, single- or double-clicking on the main desktop Hard
> > > Drive icon will cause it to change to a darker-grey version (as usual)
> > > but with one, two or three thick black horizonal bands across the icon.

> <stuff deleted>
> > > Has anyone seen similar behaviour? Any educated guesses about the
> > > cause? And most importantly: Is there a cure? (please don't say
> > > upgrade to Jaguar or Panther - I'm intending to do that sometime
> > > soon anyway)
> > >

> > mmfmfmf mf Jagmff om Panmff - they fix it. Annoying it was to me too. I'd
> > wait for Panmff now though.

> So does that mean you used to see the same on OSX 10.1? That would make
> me happy - at least in the sense that I'm not alone (at least didn't
> used to be until I was the last with 10.1).

This was a known bug in Mac OS X 10.1. Many people saw it, and it was
discussed in this forum extensively.

> And you know for a fact that Jaguar fixes it? That would also make me
> happy.

Jaguar fixes it.

> I guess no-one would actually have a cure in OSX 10.1 though?...

There is no cure in 10.1. However, this bug is entirely cosmetic, and
is therefore harmless and can be safely ignored.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
See http://www.atomicbird.com/

Jason

In article <bhrh5r$30v$(E-Mail Removed)>, Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"@(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Has anyone seen similar behaviour? Any educated guesses about the
> cause? And most importantly: Is there a cure? (please don't say upgrade
> to Jaguar or Panther - I'm intending to do that sometime soon anyway)

You already have the answer. It's 10.1.x. You shouldn't have waited so long to upgrade the OS.

Vaughan Wittorff

Tom Harrington wrote:

> > So does that mean you used to see the same on OSX 10.1? That would make
> > me happy - at least in the sense that I'm not alone (at least didn't
> > used to be until I was the last with 10.1).

> This was a known bug in Mac OS X 10.1. Many people saw it, and it was
> discussed in this forum extensively.

Okay, thanks, but I wouldn't know that since I'm a newcomer to this
forum and the old threads have long gone...<quick check - actually not
so quick>...Okay, I see that I should have gone to Groups on google, but
it was *very* hard to find. After trial-and-error I found had to search
on "10.1 hard drive icon lines" and only one relevant thread found. Can
you suggest any easier way to check the archived collective memory?

> > I guess no-one would actually have a cure in OSX 10.1 though?...

> There is no cure in 10.1. However, this bug is entirely cosmetic, and
> is therefore harmless and can be safely ignored.

Good.

Cat

Back in the days of System 3.2 (or something), I once got a call from a
client who was freaking out about her folder that "had gone all spotty".
In those days, an open folder changed it's icon to a folder with a
regular pattern of black pixels - the overall effect was a primitive
greyed-out look.

She wanted to know if the spotty folder meant she had a virus.

Meow

Simon Slavin

In article <bhrl0e$5gv$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"@(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>BTW, this is my second posting, where I have posted to all three groups
>above. I feel that I should check: is there anyone that thinks this is
>inappropriate?

Yes. The groups were chartered for different purposes. If there
were seventeen groups, one for each country, would you be cross-
posting to all of them ?

Vaughan Wittorff

Simon Slavin wrote:
> >BTW, this is my second posting, where I have posted to all three groups
> >above. I feel that I should check: is there anyone that thinks this is
> >inappropriate?

> Yes. The groups were chartered for different purposes. If there
> were seventeen groups, one for each country, would you be cross-
> posting to all of them ?

My reasoning is that comp.sys.mac.system is the de facto international
group; I have come from and will be returning to Australia (and bought
the computer there), and am presently residing and working in the UK.

Any suggestions Simon about which would be appropriate, and which not?
I am open to any reasoning.

Jason

In article <BB6B03B6966834E42C@0.0.0.0>, Simon Slavin <(E-Mail Removed)@localhost> wrote:

> In article <bhrl0e$5gv$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"@(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> >BTW, this is my second posting, where I have posted to all three groups
> >above. I feel that I should check: is there anyone that thinks this is
> >inappropriate?

> Yes. The groups were chartered for different purposes. If there
> were seventeen groups, one for each country, would you be cross-
> posting to all of them ?

Give the guy a break. 3 groups cross-posted is hardly a hanging offence