Internet connexion

purbrookian

Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one have
on hand?

Garner Miller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, purbrookian
<(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote:

> Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
> offered? Ethernet or regular dialup?

Depends on the hotel. Some have one or the other. Some have both.
Some only provide wireless (802.11) access. Some charge for it, some
don't. And some who pay for it and use wireless base stations leave
them unsecured. <grin>

> And what cables should one have on hand?

I'd recommend both. Some hotels will loan you an ethernet cable if you
ask. Others will sell you one. Still others have them in the room,
supplying a cable in a holder on the desk rather than just a jack.

--
Garner R. Miller
Clifton Park, NY =USA=

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid (purbrookian) wrote:

> Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
> offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one have
> on hand?

They usually offer ethernet, USB, and dialup; for Macs, you should use
Ethernet. They generally provide all the cables (look for a pouch
hanging in the closet), but it's not a bad idea to bring your own
straight-through ethernet cable.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Daniel Packman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
purbrookian <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote:
>Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
>offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one have
>on hand?

It varies from place to place. Some time ago, it was all dialup.
Now many places offer either a hardware ethernet connection (they
will typically supply a cable) or wireless. Check with the specific
hotel you are interested in.

--
Daniel Packman
NCAR/ACD

Barry Margolin

In article <d2ul9d$dj4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Daniel Packman) wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> purbrookian <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote:
> >Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
> >offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one have
> >on hand?

> It varies from place to place. Some time ago, it was all dialup.
> Now many places offer either a hardware ethernet connection (they
> will typically supply a cable) or wireless. Check with the specific
> hotel you are interested in.

I haven't yet seen a wireless connection in a hotel room. In lobbies,
yes, but not in private rooms.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Marriot - Abilene Texas - Feb 05 offered in room WiFi with instructions for
both Windoze & MacOS
"Barry Margolin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <d2ul9d$dj4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Daniel Packman) wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > purbrookian <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote:
> > >Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
> > >offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one have
> > >on hand?

> > It varies from place to place. Some time ago, it was all dialup.
> > Now many places offer either a hardware ethernet connection (they
> > will typically supply a cable) or wireless. Check with the specific
> > hotel you are interested in.

> I haven't yet seen a wireless connection in a hotel room. In lobbies,
> yes, but not in private rooms.
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
> Arlington, MA

purbrookian

> Depends on the hotel. Some have one or the other. Some have both.
> Some only provide wireless (802.11) access. Some charge for it, some
> don't. And some who pay for it and use wireless base stations leave
> them unsecured. <grin>

> Thank you everyone for your input. Should the ethernet cable be the
> same both ends?

Jerry Kindall

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <d2ul9d$dj4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Daniel Packman) wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > purbrookian <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote:
> > >Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
> > >offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one have
> > >on hand?

> > It varies from place to place. Some time ago, it was all dialup.
> > Now many places offer either a hardware ethernet connection (they
> > will typically supply a cable) or wireless. Check with the specific
> > hotel you are interested in.

> I haven't yet seen a wireless connection in a hotel room. In lobbies,
> yes, but not in private rooms.

Saw this at a Holiday Inn in Portland recently. Unfortunately the floor
I was on didn't seem to have one so the signal was a bit iffy. Used my
cell phone instead.

Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.

Chuck Reti

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I haven't yet seen a wireless connection in a hotel room. In lobbies,
> yes, but not in private rooms.

A number of hotel ads now tout their wireless service. A couple of weeks
ago I stayed at a Country Inns/Suites in southern California that had
recently enabled their 802.11b. Worked nicely, did notice signal
hot and low spots in different parts of the room.

Chuck Reti
Detroit MI

Joe Davison

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <d2ul9d$dj4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Daniel Packman) wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > purbrookian <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote:
> > >Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
> > >offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one
> > >have on hand?

> > It varies from place to place. Some time ago, it was all dialup.
> > Now many places offer either a hardware ethernet connection (they
> > will typically supply a cable) or wireless. Check with the specific
> > hotel you are interested in.

> I haven't yet seen a wireless connection in a hotel room. In
> lobbies, yes, but not in private rooms.

I don't recall which hotel anymore, but I've stayed in several hotels
over the past 3 years with wifi in the room. Usually needed a password
available to guests from the front desk.

Could have been Holiday Inn, as someone else reported.

joe