Interrupt Mode, APIC or PIC?

forumposter32

I just built a system with an Asus A7V600-X motherboard (VIA chipset).
Now, I need to know whether I should set the interrupt mode to APIC
or PIC.
I intend to run Win98SE for a short while, then WinXP Pro until I get
another HD then I will dual boot with Win98SE and WinXP Pro.
Any ideas?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-I...pict57825.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291787

Stephan Grossklass

forumposter32 schrieb:

> I just built a system with an Asus A7V600-X motherboard (VIA chipset).
> Now, I need to know whether I should set the interrupt mode to APIC
> or PIC.
> I intend to run Win98SE for a short while, then WinXP Pro until I get
> another HD then I will dual boot with Win98SE and WinXP Pro.
> Any ideas?

Since Win98SE cannot use APIC mode for compatibility reasons (DOS!),
you'll have to stay with PIC mode.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

stevem

"forumposter32" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7_291787_11df435b4069c21d95ead3a52183bfb3@har dwareforumz.com...
>I just built a system with an Asus A7V600-X motherboard (VIA chipset).
> Now, I need to know whether I should set the interrupt mode to APIC
> or PIC.
> I intend to run Win98SE for a short while, then WinXP Pro until I get
> another HD then I will dual boot with Win98SE and WinXP Pro.
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-I...pict57825.html
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291787

No doubt someone will come in with a detailed explanation, but in brief, use
APIC; you will get 24 IRQ lines instead of the basic 16. Other differences,
of course, but in simple terms, the technology is newer, so if your board
supports it, use it.

Steve.

Asus A7V8X with APIC problems Bert Asus 1 10-31-2004 03:42 PM
APIC and XP Pro SP1 dino Asus 5 09-10-2004 12:24 PM
ACPI-APIC on NF7-S? Qwest News Abit 1 04-30-2004 11:03 PM
About the K7S5A Pro I/O APIC Daniele Gratteri ECS 8 12-02-2003 01:11 AM
P5B533-E APIC or PIC ? hb Asus 1 07-08-2003 03:04 PM