IR Remote Control device on TX2000 Tablet PC

Paul Gray

Hi All

I have a little problem, and despite googleing for many times I cannot find
the answer to this...

Anyway, I have a HP Pavilion TX2000 laptop (tabletPC), which has an inbuilt
IR Remote control HID device, which picks up the RC6 type remote control
signals (as used by Media Center).

My problem is that when my other half is watching TV and I am using my
Laptop in the same room, if she presses the "green button" on the Media
center remote (we use Media Center exclusively), Windows Media Center starts
up on my Laptop. Likewise when she presses the up or down buttons on the
remote control, it sends the equivalent keypresses on my laptop, which makes
my sceen scroll up or down.

I would like to (temporarily) disable the remote control receiver device in
my laptop when required, unfortunately there is no option to disable "HID"
type devices in device manager, and if I remove the Driver (which requires a
reboot) the driver reinstalls immediately on reboot.

Does anyone there know how I can disable the remote control
receiver,preferably in a way that I can toggle on and off as required, as
this is causing be a bit of a headache at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

There's always black electrician's tape over the ir window ;-)

Without the eHome (windows media edition) usb dongle installed on my pc,
I show 10 HID devices where;

5 are listed as "HID-compliant consumer control device"
1 is listed as "HID-compliant device"
4 are listed as "USB Human Interface Device

When I attach the eHome IR dongle, the following are added;

1 "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver"
which cannot be disabled

and
1 additional listing as "HID-compliant consumer control device"
3 additional listings as "HID-compliant device"
which can be disabled

I would suggest looking at disabling one or more of these four... hard
to tell which one, but, with the remote in hand, might be relatively
easy to spot.

hth,
Beverly Howard

Paul Gray

Thanks. That works great. Viewing the devices by connection makes it far
easier to tell which devices to disable... If only hardware profiles worked
under vista....

Thanks again for your help. It was driving me mad!

Paul

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...