IS7 and noise problem

Jeff

My computer has a noise problem.

My computer consist of a IS7 motherboard, Pentrium 4 (2,6 GHz) and Radeon
9600se graphic card, 512MB ram, 320GB SATA + network card
all put into a Chiftec Dragon MediumTower cabinet

My computer is making a lot of noise. It is even making more noise now after
I opened the cabinet and noticed the fan on motherboard wasn't working. (how
long it hasn't been working I don't know... many it hasn't been working for
more than a year - while the computer is used 18hours every day). I then
touched the center of the fan with a finger and then the fan started (I
didn't hurt myself :-) ).

Today I opened the cabinet and cleaned the wings of the processor fan for
dust, it had some dust on it's wings. I hoped this would solve the noise
problem, but it didn't...

I don't think the noise is caused by cables or anything else touching the
fans

Any suggestions?

Phil Saunders

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My computer has a noise problem.
>
> My computer consist of a IS7 motherboard, Pentrium 4 (2,6 GHz) and Radeon
> 9600se graphic card, 512MB ram, 320GB SATA + network card
> all put into a Chiftec Dragon MediumTower cabinet
>
> My computer is making a lot of noise. It is even making more noise now
> after I opened the cabinet and noticed the fan on motherboard wasn't
> working. (how long it hasn't been working I don't know... many it hasn't
> been working for more than a year - while the computer is used 18hours
> every day). I then touched the center of the fan with a finger and then
> the fan started (I didn't hurt myself :-) ).
>
> Today I opened the cabinet and cleaned the wings of the processor fan for
> dust, it had some dust on it's wings. I hoped this would solve the noise
> problem, but it didn't...
>
> I don't think the noise is caused by cables or anything else touching the
> fans
>
> Any suggestions?

If you have excessive fan noise then you have either an excessive heat
problem (so the fans run full pelt all the time) or a fan problem (bearings
worn, faulty fan so much noisier).

You should, of course, clean out the dust from inside the psu, and other
fans.

It is likely, based on what you said, that you have a fan problem and
replacing the motherboard fan would be a very good place to start.

hth

Phil

noise noise please go away! 7xchamp Dell 12 01-26-2004 03:07 AM
IS7 or IS7-E. Opinions? Fish Head Abit 6 08-24-2003 01:04 PM
Comments on the Abit IS7-E or IS7 Thanks Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz Overclocking 2 08-18-2003 03:39 PM
Comments on the Abit IS7-E or IS7 Thanks Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz Overclocking 0 08-17-2003 12:50 PM
is7 and ram problem... nico Abit 1 07-11-2003 06:44 AM