<IS7> installing case fans

Jeff

Hey

I've got a computer based on a chieftec dragon case and IS7 mobo.

I've bought 4 Zalman ZM-F1 80mm case fans which I want to connect to the
mobo, so I can use software to control their speed. (maybe I can control the
speed in bios - for example set rpm on 60% of max)

So I'm wondering what connectors on the mobo is it I can connect these fans
to so I can control the speed ?

abituser

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:56:55 +0100 'Jeff'
wrote this on alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit:

>Hey
>
>I've got a computer based on a chieftec dragon case and IS7 mobo.
>
>I've bought 4 Zalman ZM-F1 80mm case fans which I want to connect to the
>mobo, so I can use software to control their speed. (maybe I can control the
>speed in bios - for example set rpm on 60% of max)
>
>So I'm wondering what connectors on the mobo is it I can connect these fans
>to so I can control the speed ?

Specifically which IS7 version is it?

Mine is an IS7-E2 and has three headers for fan control
(system/cpu/aux).

I use SpeedFan (free) to control them all and it's magic.
Much of the time my cpu fan is only running at 20% but I do have
a v/good HSF assembly.

Jeff

it is the standard IS7 version

"abituser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:56:55 +0100 'Jeff'
> wrote this on alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit:
>
>>Hey
>>
>>I've got a computer based on a chieftec dragon case and IS7 mobo.
>>
>>I've bought 4 Zalman ZM-F1 80mm case fans which I want to connect to the
>>mobo, so I can use software to control their speed. (maybe I can control
>>the
>>speed in bios - for example set rpm on 60% of max)
>>
>>So I'm wondering what connectors on the mobo is it I can connect these
>>fans
>>to so I can control the speed ?

> Specifically which IS7 version is it?
>
> Mine is an IS7-E2 and has three headers for fan control
> (system/cpu/aux).
>
> I use SpeedFan (free) to control them all and it's magic.
> Much of the time my cpu fan is only running at 20% but I do have
> a v/good HSF assembly.

abituser

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:03:11 +0100 'Jeff'
wrote this on alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit:

>"abituser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:56:55 +0100 'Jeff'
>> wrote this on alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit:
>>
>>>Hey
>>>
>>>I've got a computer based on a chieftec dragon case and IS7 mobo.
>>>
>>>I've bought 4 Zalman ZM-F1 80mm case fans which I want to connect to the
>>>mobo, so I can use software to control their speed. (maybe I can control
>>>the
>>>speed in bios - for example set rpm on 60% of max)
>>>
>>>So I'm wondering what connectors on the mobo is it I can connect these
>>>fans
>>>to so I can control the speed ?

>> Specifically which IS7 version is it?
>>
>> Mine is an IS7-E2 and has three headers for fan control
>> (system/cpu/aux).
>>
>> I use SpeedFan (free) to control them all and it's magic.
>> Much of the time my cpu fan is only running at 20% but I do have
>> a v/good HSF assembly.

>it is the standard IS7 version

OK, here's a list of the IS7 models:

IS7
IS7-G
IS7-E
IS7-E2
IS7-E2G
IS7-E2V
IS7-M
IS7-V2

If yours is the IS7, then it has 5 fan headers:

-sysfan
-nbfan1
-auxfan1
-auxfan2
-cpufan

Each header can control 1 fan but bear in mind that some are
required for the purpose intended (eg cpufan/nbfan). The others
are available for personal add-on fans.

Like I said earlier, I strongly advise the use of SpeedFan
to control the fans - much better than Abit s/w crap IMO.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php current ver is 4.33
and the guy who develops it knows where he's at.

HTH

Jeff

thank you so much for your help. I've already got SpeedFan installed on my
computer. But haven't used it so much before. I installed it to check the
temperature inside my case. but after installing fans then I'll be using it
a lot more I think.

I've got the basic IS7 version.

abituser

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:54:32 +0100 'Jeff'
wrote this on alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit:

>thank you so much for your help. I've already got SpeedFan installed on my
>computer. But haven't used it so much before. I installed it to check the
>temperature inside my case. but after installing fans then I'll be using it
>a lot more I think.

ok - Speedfan settings can be a little tricky to work out; so if you
need any guidance on that I could post my own which might give some
insight.

>I've got the basic IS7 version.

There's a .pdf User Manual for the IS7 mobo here:
>http://www.uabit.com/downloads/downl...is7_series.zip

(about 3MB)

Jeff

Thanks

In SpeedFan main window report the speed from 3 fans:
Fan1: 2813 RPM
Fan2: 0 RPM
Fan3: 3013 RPM

The case got 1 CPU fan in addition to those 2 case fans I installed
yesterday... I wonder which of them is fan1, fan2, fan3. any ideas about how
to find that out?

on my IS7 the standard chipset fan is broken. I removed it for about 6
months ago and used a passive cooling instead. So this means that nbfan1
isn't in use right now, I wonder if I can use nbfan1 for an additional case
fan?

Best Regards