It's a miracle! (My sound works now...)

Muse Gruppes

I posted an issue that whenever I played or ripped any cd for around 5
minutes, the sound would go out completely. Even system sounds, it wasn't
just CD Rom playing that was cut off. Then after I rebooted everything was
ok, then I could download a zillion mp3s and listen all day long, no problem

I was told it's a resource issue (I only have 256mb of RAM) and a pent
549mhz intel. so I thought, I guess I better buy some memory cards

So basically, if I used the CD drive, there went the sound... Until TODAY...
I got a stero headset from logitech that plugs in the usb. (my other
headphones went right in the back of the computer since I am without desktop
speakers right now) and now, no more sound dropouts! I've been ripping and
listening to CD's all day and no problems! interesting...

I wonder why the change?

Whatever the reason I'm happy.

-Chris

ric

Muse Gruppes wrote:

> I posted an issue that whenever I played or ripped any cd for around 5
> minutes, the sound would go out completely. Even system sounds, it wasn't
> just CD Rom playing that was cut off. Then after I rebooted everything was
> ok, then I could download a zillion mp3s and listen all day long, no problem
>
> I was told it's a resource issue (I only have 256mb of RAM) and a pent
> 549mhz intel. so I thought, I guess I better buy some memory cards
>
> So basically, if I used the CD drive, there went the sound... Until TODAY...
> I got a stero headset from logitech that plugs in the usb. (my other
> headphones went right in the back of the computer since I am without desktop
> speakers right now) and now, no more sound dropouts! I've been ripping and
> listening to CD's all day and no problems! interesting...
>
> I wonder why the change?
>
> Whatever the reason I'm happy.
>
> -Chris

it works because your headphones are actually headphones plus a USB
"soundcard" audio device. Presumably your internal sound card's
faulty...
Ric

Meat Plow

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 01:25:16 -0700, ric Has Frothed:

> Muse Gruppes wrote:
>
>> I posted an issue that whenever I played or ripped any cd for around 5
>> minutes, the sound would go out completely. Even system sounds, it
>> wasn't just CD Rom playing that was cut off. Then after I rebooted
>> everything was ok, then I could download a zillion mp3s and listen all
>> day long, no problem
>>
>> I was told it's a resource issue (I only have 256mb of RAM) and a pent
>> 549mhz intel. so I thought, I guess I better buy some memory cards
>>
>> So basically, if I used the CD drive, there went the sound... Until
>> TODAY... I got a stero headset from logitech that plugs in the usb. (my
>> other headphones went right in the back of the computer since I am
>> without desktop speakers right now) and now, no more sound dropouts!
>> I've been ripping and listening to CD's all day and no problems!
>> interesting...
>>
>> I wonder why the change?
>>
>> Whatever the reason I'm happy.
>>
>> -Chris

> it works because your headphones are actually headphones plus a USB
> "soundcard" audio device. Presumably your internal sound card's faulty...

Probably stutters under heavy PCI bus usage.

Muse Gruppes

> Probably stutters under heavy PCI bus usage.

**** it, I'm buying another computer!

(it's time...)

Margolotta

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:44:30 +0100, Muse Gruppes wrote
(in article <yNcHg.45948$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com>):

>> Probably stutters under heavy PCI bus usage.

> **** it, I'm buying another computer!
>
> (it's time...)

Then do yourself a favour and make it a Mac. You can run Windows on it if you
really must and, bang-for-buck, they're cheaper than many PCs. Contrary to
popular belief, you really do get more for your money. For example, you have
to add 1,000 to the price of Dell's flagship XP notebook to upgrade it to
the same spec as a basic 17" Mac Book Pro.

People will tell you I'm lying, but I've done the maths myself.

WSZsr

Let me put my hipboots on.........

"Margolotta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s-media.phx...
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:44:30 +0100, Muse Gruppes wrote
> (in article <yNcHg.45948$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com>):
>
> Then do yourself a favour and make it a Mac. You can run Windows on it if
> you
> really must and, bang-for-buck, they're cheaper than many PCs. Contrary to
> popular belief, you really do get more for your money. For example, you
> have
> to add 1,000 to the price of Dell's flagship XP notebook to upgrade it to
> the same spec as a basic 17" Mac Book Pro.
>
> People will tell you I'm lying, but I've done the maths myself.

Notan

Margolotta wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:44:30 +0100, Muse Gruppes wrote
> (in article <yNcHg.45948$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com>):
>

> >> Probably stutters under heavy PCI bus usage.

> > **** it, I'm buying another computer!
> >
> > (it's time...)

> Then do yourself a favour and make it a Mac. You can run Windows on it if you
> really must and, bang-for-buck, they're cheaper than many PCs. Contrary to
> popular belief, you really do get more for your money. For example, you have
> to add 1,000 to the price of Dell's flagship XP notebook to upgrade it to
> the same spec as a basic 17" Mac Book Pro.
>
> People will tell you I'm lying, but I've done the maths myself.

OK, I'm game.

Show me the maths [sic].

Notan

Bob Levine

WSZsr wrote:

> Let me put my hipboots on.........

You don't need them:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060823/tech_..._pro.html?.v=6

Bob

> "Margolotta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) s-media.phx...
>
>>On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:44:30 +0100, Muse Gruppes wrote
>>(in article <yNcHg.45948$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com>):
>>
>>Then do yourself a favour and make it a Mac. You can run Windows on it if
>>you
>>really must and, bang-for-buck, they're cheaper than many PCs. Contrary to
>>popular belief, you really do get more for your money. For example, you
>>have
>>to add 1,000 to the price of Dell's flagship XP notebook to upgrade it to
>>the same spec as a basic 17" Mac Book Pro.
>>
>>People will tell you I'm lying, but I've done the maths myself.

Synapse Syndrome

"Notan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Margolotta wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:44:30 +0100, Muse Gruppes wrote
>> (in article <yNcHg.45948$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com>):

>> > **** it, I'm buying another computer!
>> >
>> > (it's time...)

>> Then do yourself a favour and make it a Mac. You can run Windows on it if
>> you
>> really must and, bang-for-buck, they're cheaper than many PCs. Contrary
>> popular belief, you really do get more for your money. For example, you
>> have
>> to add 1,000 to the price of Dell's flagship XP notebook to upgrade it
>> the same spec as a basic 17" Mac Book Pro.
>>
>> People will tell you I'm lying, but I've done the maths myself.

> OK, I'm game.
>
> Show me the maths [sic].

She can't, so she ran away.

ss.