iTunes not responding, 115% cpu use, podcast download was the problem.

zit

Just got this fairly common problem this morning. Google shed no
light, hence this post.

ITunes would finish "loading library", and bring up its window. At
this point I could quit and restart. This seemed to fix the problem,
until Podcasts started downloading. Then a quick force quit was
needed. A longer delay required holding down the power key to force
shutdown. Disconnecting from the Internet allowed time to investigate.
Deleting "Rocketboom Fri, 24 Aug 2007" fixed it.

This is the only newsgroup I browse. Hopefully the "force power down"
makes it relevant.
I do have a lot of third party cruft installed, so this problem might
be hard to reproduce.