K6-III+ might be DOA?

Darron Schneider

I was really proud of myself; practically stealing a K6-III+ for less
than $20 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it this
morning only to find it will not even POST.

The CPU is rated 400 MHz and is some kind of low voltage version. It
is marked 1.6V. My VA-503A can be set at 1.8V, so I did that along
with setting the FSB at 100 MHz and the multipier to 4. Does anyone
know if this chip ABSOLUTELY needs 1.6V?

The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously used a
few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I did
something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.

Robert Akins

It probably won't post at 1.8V. There were several versions of the K6-III+
with different voltage requirements. That's probably why it was $20; there
are only a couple motherboards that it will work on (if that). You might
see if you can find some kind of voltage reducer adapter (Powerleap?) that
goes down to 1.6V.
Robert
"Darron Schneider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was really proud of myself; practically stealing a K6-III+ for less
> than $20 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it this
> morning only to find it will not even POST.
>
> The CPU is rated 400 MHz and is some kind of low voltage version. It
> is marked 1.6V. My VA-503A can be set at 1.8V, so I did that along
> with setting the FSB at 100 MHz and the multipier to 4. Does anyone
> know if this chip ABSOLUTELY needs 1.6V?
>
> The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously used a
> few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I did
> something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.

Tim

The VA-503A requires BETA BIOS JN4116 (with audio codec) or JO4116
(without audio codec) to support the K6-II+/III+ processors.

ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bio...03a/JO4116.ZIP

ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bio...03a/JN4116.ZIP

ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bio...a/flash713.zip

Regards,

Tim

Darron Schneider wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..

> I was really proud of myself; practically stealing a K6-III+ for less
> than $20 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it this
> morning only to find it will not even POST.
>
> The CPU is rated 400 MHz and is some kind of low voltage version. It
> is marked 1.6V. My VA-503A can be set at 1.8V, so I did that along
> with setting the FSB at 100 MHz and the multipier to 4. Does anyone
> know if this chip ABSOLUTELY needs 1.6V?
>
> The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously used a
> few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I did
> something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.

farmuse

if anything it WOULD post, but 1.8 is as high as I would go ~ he should
flash the BIOS and then he should be good to go

"Robert Akins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qqEtb.59070$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It probably won't post at 1.8V. There were several versions of the

K6-III+
> with different voltage requirements. That's probably why it was $20;

there
> are only a couple motherboards that it will work on (if that). You might
> see if you can find some kind of voltage reducer adapter (Powerleap?) that
> goes down to 1.6V.
> Robert
> "Darron Schneider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I was really proud of myself; practically stealing a K6-III+ for less
> > than $20 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it this
> > morning only to find it will not even POST.
> >
> > The CPU is rated 400 MHz and is some kind of low voltage version. It
> > is marked 1.6V. My VA-503A can be set at 1.8V, so I did that along
> > with setting the FSB at 100 MHz and the multipier to 4. Does anyone
> > know if this chip ABSOLUTELY needs 1.6V?
> >
> > The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously used a
> > few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I did
> > something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.

neopolaris

Darron Schneider wrote:
> I was really proud of myself; practically stealing a K6-III+ for less
> than $20 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it this
> morning only to find it will not even POST.
>
> The CPU is rated 400 MHz and is some kind of low voltage version. It
> is marked 1.6V. My VA-503A can be set at 1.8V, so I did that along
> with setting the FSB at 100 MHz and the multipier to 4. Does anyone
> know if this chip ABSOLUTELY needs 1.6V?
>
> The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously used a
> few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I did
> something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.

$20 for a "+" cpu sounds too good to be true.

Kyle Brant

I might add that the low Vcore voltage rating on the CPU package is
not necessarily the max voltage you can use with the chip. The rating
for Vcore according to AMD spec sheets is "up to 2.2v". I suspect
2.0v would work just fine with the process technology of that
particular era of cpu. However, ymmv. Remember that these chips were
originally intended for laptop use, where power conservation is of
much more concern. Chips that would work properly at lower Vcore were
probably test sorted by AMD for sale to laptop customers.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
| The VA-503A requires BETA BIOS JN4116 (with audio codec) or JO4116
| (without audio codec) to support the K6-II+/III+ processors.
|
| ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bio...03a/JO4116.ZIP
|
| ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bio...03a/JN4116.ZIP
|
| ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bio...a/flash713.zip
|
| Regards,
|
| Tim
|

| Darron Schneider wrote in message
news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..

| > I was really proud of myself; practically stealing a K6-III+ for
less
| > than $20 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it this
| > morning only to find it will not even POST.
| >
| > The CPU is rated 400 MHz and is some kind of low voltage version.
It
| > is marked 1.6V. My VA-503A can be set at 1.8V, so I did that
along
| > with setting the FSB at 100 MHz and the multipier to 4. Does
anyone
| > know if this chip ABSOLUTELY needs 1.6V?
| >
| > The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously
used a
| > few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I
did
| > something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.

)-()-(

Darron Schneider wrote:

> I was really proud of myself; practically stealing a K6-III+ for less
> than $20 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it this
> morning only to find it will not even POST.
>
> The CPU is rated 400 MHz and is some kind of low voltage version. It
> is marked 1.6V. My VA-503A can be set at 1.8V, so I did that along
> with setting the FSB at 100 MHz and the multipier to 4. Does anyone
> know if this chip ABSOLUTELY needs 1.6V?
>
> The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously used a
> few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I did
> something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.

I don't think there are any K6-3+ chips that were 1.6v.
I have one and it says 2.0v.

)-()-(

")-()-(" wrote:

> Darron Schneider wrote:
>
> > I was really proud of myself; practically stealing a K6-III+ for less
> > than $20 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it this
> > morning only to find it will not even POST.
> >
> > The CPU is rated 400 MHz and is some kind of low voltage version. It
> > is marked 1.6V. My VA-503A can be set at 1.8V, so I did that along
> > with setting the FSB at 100 MHz and the multipier to 4. Does anyone
> > know if this chip ABSOLUTELY needs 1.6V?
> >
> > The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously used a
> > few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I did
> > something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.

> I don't think there are any K6-3+ chips that were 1.6v.
> I have one and it says 2.0v.

Here's a reference.
http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

Robert Akins

The majority of K6-III+ CPUs were 2.0V but that wasn't the only voltage they
were sold with. I once was at the Dallas TX 3rd Saturday computer sale and
one vendor who usually sells software (and a few misc. hardware items) had a
couple flats of K6-III+ 400 CPUs they were selling. When I looked at them I
discovered they were marked 1.8V. I explained to the ladies who were
running the booth that day that they might get a bunch of unhappy customers
who discovered that their Socket 7 boards would not run these chips. They
pulled the CPUs off the table and said they would check out my claim. I
don't know what happened after that. I presume that there could be some
1.6V chips out there too.
Robert
")-()-(" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Darron Schneider wrote:
>
> > I was really proud of myself; practically stealing a K6-III+ for less
> > than $20 on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it this
> > morning only to find it will not even POST.
> >
> > The CPU is rated 400 MHz and is some kind of low voltage version. It
> > is marked 1.6V. My VA-503A can be set at 1.8V, so I did that along
> > with setting the FSB at 100 MHz and the multipier to 4. Does anyone
> > know if this chip ABSOLUTELY needs 1.6V?
> >
> > The board was working fine with a K6-II/500 and I've previously used a
> > few K6-III's. This is my first "+" model so I'm wondering if I did
> > something wrong. Any help is welcome, thanks.

> I don't think there are any K6-3+ chips that were 1.6v.
> I have one and it says 2.0v.

Tim

")-()-(" wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> I don't think there are any K6-3+ chips that were 1.6v.
> I have one and it says 2.0v.

There were low power versions released as "embedded" processors but
with the standard 321-pin CPGA package of a desktop/mobile processor.
I suspect these versions were not released in North American markets.
They are rare, but out there in some quantities.

K6-2E+/350AUZ 1.5V
K6-2E+/400ATZ 1.6V
K6-2E+/450APZ 1.7V

K6-IIIE+/400ATZ 1.6V
K6-IIIE+/450APZ 1.7V
K6-IIIE+/500ANZ 1.8V

I have never seen one of these, so the actual processor marking may
not use the "E" designation (e.g. AMD-K6-III+/400ATZ). I do not know
if these are similarly compatible with desktop motherboards, but at
least one (unverified) source reports they are compatible. The
K6-II+/III+ we are most accustomed to seeing are the ACZ models
(2.0V).

Surplus Computers has some K6-II+ 550MHz and K6-III+ 450MHz processors
available for sale (as of this writing). The price on the K6-II+
550MHz is $39.99.

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/cpu.html

Regards,

Tim