K7D Master Motherboard won't take 2 GB of RAM

tahoekid77@gmail.com

I recently tried adding 2 additional 512 MB SIMMs and after booting,
the system Beeps once per 5 seconds forever, and won't start. These
are new modules and are identical in brand and ID as the other pair.
Not sure what to do next.

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I recently tried adding 2 additional 512 MB SIMMs and after booting,
> the system Beeps once per 5 seconds forever, and won't start. These
> are new modules and are identical in brand and ID as the other pair.
> Not sure what to do next.

Test the new RAM separately, one stick at a time.
Does all the new RAM work ? Does it pass memtest86+
(memtest.org) ?

Next, test one old stick plus one new stick. Does
that work ?

Examine the RAM types carefully, to make sure they're all the
same type.

If you can manage to boot the computer with just one
stick of the new stuff, or just one stick of the
old stuff, you may be able to use CPUZ (cpuid.com)
to dump the SPD table for the RAM. Hopefully, the
problem will be resolved, before you need to go
through the hexadecimal table of SPD data. (You
need a JEDEC document from jedec.org to decode
the values.) Use the "About" tab and click
"register dump". This is my SPD, as an example
of what a table looks like. Since my RAM is DDR2,
this table won't look the same as yours. The SPD
chip on each DIMM, has room for 256 bytes. The
first byte is the length field, and in my case,
only the first 128 bytes contain valid data.

Dump Module #1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
00 80 08 08 0E 0A 61 40 00 05 30 45 00 82 08 00 00
F0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

AMD762 supports four sticks of registered RAM. And possibly
only two sticks of unbuffered RAM.

See PDF page 24.
http://download1.msi.com.tw/files/do.../E6501v1.1.zip

"Note: Registered DIMMs can be placed into DDR1~4 but
unbuffered DIMMs can be placed into DDR1~2 only."

You cannot mix registered and unbuffered in the computer
at the same time.

HTH,
Paul

tahoekid77@gmail.com

On Nov 21, 1:55*am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I recently triedadding2 additional 512 MB SIMMs andafterbooting,
> > the systemBeepsonce per 5 seconds forever, and won't start. These
> > are new modules and are identical in brand and ID as the other pair.
> > Not sure what to do next.

> Test the newRAMseparately, one stick at a time.
> Does all the newRAMwork ? Does it pass memtest86+
> (memtest.org) ?
>
> Next, test one old stick plus one new stick. Does
> that work ?
>
> Examine theRAMtypes carefully, to make sure they're all the
> same type.
>
> If you can manage to boot the computer with just one
> stick of the new stuff, or just one stick of the
> old stuff, you may be able to use CPUZ (cpuid.com)
> to dump the SPD table for theRAM. Hopefully, the
> problem will be resolved, before you need to go
> through the hexadecimal table of SPD data. (You
> need a JEDEC document from jedec.org to decode
> the values.) Use the "About" tab and click
> "register dump". This is my SPD, as an example
> of what a table looks like. Since myRAMis DDR2,
> this table won't look the same as yours. The SPD
> chip on each DIMM, has room for 256 bytes. The
> first byte is the length field, and in my case,
> only the first 128 bytes contain valid data.
>
> Dump Module #1
> * * * *0 *1 *2 *3 *4 *5 *6 *7 *8 *9 *A *B *C *D *E *F
> 00 * 80 08 08 0E 0A 61 40 00 05 30 45 00 82 08 00 00
> F0 * 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>
> AMD762 supports four sticks of registeredRAM. And possibly
> only two sticks of unbufferedRAM.
>
> See PDF page 24.http://download1.msi.com.tw/files/do.../E6501v1.1.zip
>
> * * "Note: Registered DIMMs can be placed into DDR1~4 but
> * * *unbuffered DIMMs can be placed into DDR1~2 only."
>
> You cannot mix registered and unbuffered in the computer
> at the same time.
>
> HTH,
> * * Paul

They are all the same memory, same vendor, part number, etc. All
ordered in the past few weeks. The memory that was original in the
machine was removed.

tahoekid77@gmail.com

I tested each sim, everythings fine until one of them (any one of
them) occupies the third slot. Then the beeping starts.

tahoekid77@gmail.com

It's more than likely the memory is unbuffered, which would pretty
much explain the situation.
The guys at 1800Memory sold it to me, I gave them the motherboard
information, etc but looks like they sent me the wrong type.

Junior Member