K7S5A 1.0 boot problem

jeannette999

Last week, Turned my computer off, went to bed, got up next morning
and turning by computer on, and that is when all the problems
started. No POST, no beeps, nothing on the screen. Lights are on, can
here the fans and hard drive. CD ROM and Burner lights keep blinking.
Kept turning it on and off, finally after an hour of this the screen
came to live a beep. Can anyone help me. I also keep get spontaious
restarts and freezes. I have reset the CMOS, update the BIOS, still
nothing. Yesterday I notice the my CPU, AMD K7 Duron, speed had
changed in the BIOS. I got that fixed but for how long.

Will this problem just keep going and getting worse?
Should I just get a new motherboard?

Jeannette

news.clara.net

"jeannette999" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:4225b01f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Last week, Turned my computer off, went to bed, got up next morning
> and turning by computer on, and that is when all the problems
> started. No POST, no beeps, nothing on the screen. Lights are on, can
> here the fans and hard drive. CD ROM and Burner lights keep blinking.
> Kept turning it on and off, finally after an hour of this the screen
> came to live a beep. Can anyone help me. I also keep get spontaious
> restarts and freezes. I have reset the CMOS, update the BIOS, still
> nothing. Yesterday I notice the my CPU, AMD K7 Duron, speed had
> changed in the BIOS. I got that fixed but for how long.
>
> Will this problem just keep going and getting worse?
> Should I just get a new motherboard?
>
> Jeannette

This is a general troubleshooting problem, not one specific to Elitegroup.
The problem is unlikely to fix itself and your computer may well just die
one day soon if you do not investigate.

There are many possible problems (almost certainly hardware related).

Firstly, open the case and remove RAM, video card, CPU and HSF. Remove and
reseat all connections (ATX power, IDE etc., checking nothing has come loose
or detached. Blow out all the dust, especially from the HSF and the PSU.
Reseat all components correctly and retry. No better? Try a different PSU,
at least 300w (preferably bigger). No better? Try a different stick of RAM.
No Better? Try a different CPU (never run the CPU without HSF attached). No
better? It may be a mainboard fault. Inspect the board closely for evidence
of burning or bulging capacitors, in which case you may need to replace the
board and (depending on OS) do a repair installation of the OS.

If you do not have spare components to do these tests, you will have to find
someone who has, like a repair shop! Unfortunately, buying a new mainboard
will not necessarily cure your problem because the fault may not lie with
that component. Good luck!

--
Remove ".invalid" with ".com" to reply

Buffalo

Remove and reseat the ram sticks.
If more than one ram stick, use one at a time to see if one is going bad.
Replace the MB battery. Only a few dollars and easy to change.
It really sounds like a ram problem.

"jeannette999" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:4225b01f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Last week, Turned my computer off, went to bed, got up next morning
> and turning by computer on, and that is when all the problems
> started. No POST, no beeps, nothing on the screen. Lights are on, can
> here the fans and hard drive. CD ROM and Burner lights keep blinking.
> Kept turning it on and off, finally after an hour of this the screen
> came to live a beep. Can anyone help me. I also keep get spontaious
> restarts and freezes. I have reset the CMOS, update the BIOS, still
> nothing. Yesterday I notice the my CPU, AMD K7 Duron, speed had
> changed in the BIOS. I got that fixed but for how long.
>
> Will this problem just keep going and getting worse?
> Should I just get a new motherboard?
>
> Jeannette

PJx

On 2 Mar 2005 07:22:55 -0500,
(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid (jeannette999) wrote:

>Last week, Turned my computer off, went to bed, got up next morning
>and turning by computer on, and that is when all the problems
>started. No POST, no beeps, nothing on the screen. Lights are on, can
>here the fans and hard drive. CD ROM and Burner lights keep blinking.
>Kept turning it on and off, finally after an hour of this the screen
>came to live a beep. Can anyone help me. I also keep get spontaious
>restarts and freezes. I have reset the CMOS, update the BIOS, still
>nothing. Yesterday I notice the my CPU, AMD K7 Duron, speed had
>changed in the BIOS. I got that fixed but for how long.
>
>Will this problem just keep going and getting worse?
>Should I just get a new motherboard?

Yes and Yes.
Time to get a new motherboard. I suggest newegg or frys.

PJ

>Jeannette

Jess Fertudei

This is exactly the symptoms I had when the caps on my K7S5A went tits up.
Deal with it now as opposed to having lots of file corruptions to add to the
aggravation of doing the repair install of Windows with your new board.

Take a magnifying glass and look a the crosses on the top of your capacitors
and see if they are separating and or turning brown or leaking.

"jeannette999" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:4225b01f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Last week, Turned my computer off, went to bed, got up next morning
> and turning by computer on, and that is when all the problems
> started. No POST, no beeps, nothing on the screen. Lights are on, can
> here the fans and hard drive. CD ROM and Burner lights keep blinking.
> Kept turning it on and off, finally after an hour of this the screen
> came to live a beep. Can anyone help me. I also keep get spontaious
> restarts and freezes. I have reset the CMOS, update the BIOS, still
> nothing. Yesterday I notice the my CPU, AMD K7 Duron, speed had
> changed in the BIOS. I got that fixed but for how long.
>
> Will this problem just keep going and getting worse?
> Should I just get a new motherboard?
>
> Jeannette

Buffalo

"jeannette999" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:4225b01f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Last week, Turned my computer off, went to bed, got up next morning
> and turning by computer on, and that is when all the problems
> started. No POST, no beeps, nothing on the screen. Lights are on, can
> here the fans and hard drive. CD ROM and Burner lights keep blinking.
> Kept turning it on and off, finally after an hour of this the screen
> came to live a beep. Can anyone help me. I also keep get spontaious
> restarts and freezes. I have reset the CMOS, update the BIOS, still
> nothing. Yesterday I notice the my CPU, AMD K7 Duron, speed had
> changed in the BIOS. I got that fixed but for how long.
>
> Will this problem just keep going and getting worse?
> Should I just get a new motherboard?
>
> Jeannette

A failing power suppy or, as Jess says, leaking capacitors can cause those
problems also.
Post back if you solve it.
Thanks.
Buffalo

debrucer

I have two of these ECS K7S5A Pro Rev. 5.0 motherboards with AMD CPUs.
The BIOS is V 1.0 and there are 8 "patches" under BIOS for this MB. To
me, a patch is NOT necessarily a full BIOS, and there is a circular
link on their instructions for how to use the update software -- so I
have booted MANY times and changed MANY BIOS options -- and I have
EXACTLY the same symptoms when I set the CPU speed to 1.66 and bus to
1.33. 1.00/1.000 and 1.33/1.33 work just fine but 1.66/1.33 go into
this flipping between CD ROM and Burner lights.

Take off the cover and either remove the CMOS battery, or use the
jumper next to the battery to reset the BIOS, then when you boot the
BIOS info will appear on the screen, enter the BIOS and adjust your
values as you wish, and the machine will work "normally".

I'm giving up on a BIOS update though - just don't trust ECS. Their
site REALLY sucks!

jeannette999 wrote:
> Last week, Turned my computer off, went to bed, got up next morning
> and turning by computer on, and that is when all the problems
> started. No POST, no beeps, nothing on the screen. Lights are on, can
> here the fans and hard drive. CD ROM and Burner lights keep blinking.
> Kept turning it on and off, finally after an hour of this the screen
> came to live a beep. Can anyone help me. I also keep get spontaious
> restarts and freezes. I have reset the CMOS, update the BIOS, still
> nothing. Yesterday I notice the my CPU, AMD K7 Duron, speed had
> changed in the BIOS. I got that fixed but for how long.
>
> Will this problem just keep going and getting worse?
> Should I just get a new motherboard?
>
> Jeannette

K7S5A & AMD XP2000+ boot problem Roger S. ECS 11 01-01-2005 03:38 PM
K7S5A Boot Problem Milan ECS 16 10-31-2004 04:07 PM
K7S5A Pro problem at first boot (cause barton?) HELP! Flyzone ECS 1 02-15-2004 05:03 AM
how do i get rid of the "F8: Boot Menu F12: Network Boot" on my K7S5A Pro ? Reid Fleming ECS 1 09-12-2003 10:56 PM
k7s5a boot problem Harrie Geerts ECS 4 08-20-2003 06:37 PM