k7s5a pro hard drive query

Rob Latus

Hello all,

i have had one of these boards for about 8 months and not really come
accross any problems - until now

I recently purchased a Western Digital 80Gb drive with udma 100 and 8Mb
cache.

I was wanting to use this as a master and then slave in my old smasung 40Gb
drive, which is also udma 100 but only a 2Mb cache.

The problem is that i cannot get these two drives to work together. yet
seperatley they seem to be fine.

If i put them both in my system all appears fine and then the whole thing
locks up, this can be anything from 5minutes to hours later. Sometimes the
lock up is accompanied by a blue screen and an error report but not always.
Then the only way to restart the pc is after a reset of the bios. I have
tried several bioses.

I have noticed also that my 80Gb drive is detected ok in my bios (latest
honeyx bios) however the parameters that are detected ie the number of
cylinders etc does not match what the Western Digital specs are for the
drive, it does seem to run fine though.

Any advice / help is really appreciated on this one.

Rob

Smoker

"Rob Latus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> i have had one of these boards for about 8 months and not really come
> accross any problems - until now
>
> I recently purchased a Western Digital 80Gb drive with udma 100 and 8Mb
> cache.
>
> I was wanting to use this as a master and then slave in my old smasung

40Gb
> drive, which is also udma 100 but only a 2Mb cache.
>
> The problem is that i cannot get these two drives to work together. yet
> seperatley they seem to be fine.
>
> If i put them both in my system all appears fine and then the whole thing
> locks up, this can be anything from 5minutes to hours later. Sometimes the
> lock up is accompanied by a blue screen and an error report but not

always.
> Then the only way to restart the pc is after a reset of the bios. I have
> tried several bioses.
>
> I have noticed also that my 80Gb drive is detected ok in my bios (latest
> honeyx bios) however the parameters that are detected ie the number of
> cylinders etc does not match what the Western Digital specs are for the
> drive, it does seem to run fine though.
>
> Any advice / help is really appreciated on this one.

Put your drives on the same IDE channel. Usually putting the WD jumper on CS
(cable select) works best and I'd do the same with your Samsung (you may
have to try different settings or using no jumper(s) at all.

Commonly WD drives have a detection problem and when nf2 boards came out the
fix was to cut the first two wires in your IDE cable. Just an example of how
WD drives can be different or difficult.

It's common with K7S5A to not get the cyclinders, etc. correct. It may also
detect the drive as UDMA 5 on the first POST screen then report PIO Mode 4
on the next screen. It's disturbing but doesn't seem to affect the drive
operation any.

If you're using a minimal or generic power supply, adding a new drive may be
pulling it over the edge. This board is very demanding when it comes to how
it wants it's power supplied. 300W PSUs aren't usually good enough.

Rob Latus

That was one of my first suspicions so i got a q-tec 550w psu and it has
made no difference.

The rest of the system is

Xp200 + not overclocked at all
Crucial 512mb ddr pc 2100
Panasonic DVD Ram
Phillips CD RW
GeForce 3 Ti 250 video card
Fire wire card
Wireless lan card
Broadband Modem
Floppy drive

Just trying the hdd's on seperate ide channels with each one having either
the dvd or the cd as a slave but won't this slow my drives and system down
this way? it seems a lot slower booting.

"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RAzPb.3020$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rob Latus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all,
> >
> > i have had one of these boards for about 8 months and not really come
> > accross any problems - until now
> >
> > I recently purchased a Western Digital 80Gb drive with udma 100 and 8Mb
> > cache.
> >
> > I was wanting to use this as a master and then slave in my old smasung

> 40Gb
> > drive, which is also udma 100 but only a 2Mb cache.
> >
> > The problem is that i cannot get these two drives to work together. yet
> > seperatley they seem to be fine.
> >
> > If i put them both in my system all appears fine and then the whole

thing
> > locks up, this can be anything from 5minutes to hours later. Sometimes

the
> > lock up is accompanied by a blue screen and an error report but not

> always.
> > Then the only way to restart the pc is after a reset of the bios. I have
> > tried several bioses.
> >
> > I have noticed also that my 80Gb drive is detected ok in my bios (latest
> > honeyx bios) however the parameters that are detected ie the number of
> > cylinders etc does not match what the Western Digital specs are for the
> > drive, it does seem to run fine though.
> >
> > Any advice / help is really appreciated on this one.
> >

> Put your drives on the same IDE channel. Usually putting the WD jumper on

CS
> (cable select) works best and I'd do the same with your Samsung (you may
> have to try different settings or using no jumper(s) at all.
>
> Commonly WD drives have a detection problem and when nf2 boards came out

the
> fix was to cut the first two wires in your IDE cable. Just an example of

how
> WD drives can be different or difficult.
>
> It's common with K7S5A to not get the cyclinders, etc. correct. It may

also
> detect the drive as UDMA 5 on the first POST screen then report PIO Mode 4
> on the next screen. It's disturbing but doesn't seem to affect the drive
> operation any.
>
> If you're using a minimal or generic power supply, adding a new drive may

be
> pulling it over the edge. This board is very demanding when it comes to

how
> it wants it's power supplied. 300W PSUs aren't usually good enough.

Rob Latus

i have tried the drives as masters with a cd or dvd off each as a slave and
still the same problem.

maybe i should buy a new motherboard but i will be dissapointed if that is
the case.

> [...]

> the
> > fix was to cut the first two wires in your IDE cable. Just an example of

> how
> > WD drives can be different or difficult.
> >
> > It's common with K7S5A to not get the cyclinders, etc. correct. It may

> also
> > detect the drive as UDMA 5 on the first POST screen then report PIO Mode

4
> > on the next screen. It's disturbing but doesn't seem to affect the drive
> > operation any.
> >
> > If you're using a minimal or generic power supply, adding a new drive

may
> be
> > pulling it over the edge. This board is very demanding when it comes to

> how
> > it wants it's power supplied. 300W PSUs aren't usually good enough.

Ski

You DID remember to jumper the drives before you installed them, didn't you?

And they're all 80 wire cables, no?

Cable Select...fuggetaboutit, it's caused me more problems than a manual
config...go in the BIOS and set all the drives by hand, no auto config.
The less stuff the machine's gotta look for, the better.

AND, I've had HD problems that I've fixed by NOT daisy chaining HD's power
supply cables...each one gets its own.

When all else fails,

http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)

Rob Latus

I am certain i have set the jumpers correctly. Not really tried the cable
select yet.

I have changed the settings in the bios from auto to user for the hard
drives.

Not tried the power cable tip yet. may try that tomorrow.

I am fast running out of ideas and i think a new motherboard may be the only
way to go.

"Ski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You DID remember to jumper the drives before you installed them, didn't

you?

> And they're all 80 wire cables, no?
>
> Cable Select...fuggetaboutit, it's caused me more problems than a manual
> config...go in the BIOS and set all the drives by hand, no auto config.
> The less stuff the machine's gotta look for, the better.
>
> AND, I've had HD problems that I've fixed by NOT daisy chaining HD's power
> supply cables...each one gets its own.
>
> When all else fails,
>
> http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum
>

> Ski
> "The only way to find out how far is too far...
> is to go there"
> (remove spleen to e-mail)

Ski

>Not tried the power cable tip yet. may try that tomorrow.
>
>I am fast running out of ideas and i think a new motherboard may be the only
>way to go.

http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

Go there and ask BEFORE you shell out for a new mobo...if these folks can't
come up with an answer...buy a MSI board, I only use Elite when the customers
are too cheap for the GOOD STUFF, and have old pc133 RAM they want me to
use...LOL!

AND, there's THREE ways to jumper that WD800JB...NO jumpers, which works on
mine as a master w/ slave, and the MASTER W/ SLAVE setting, which appears on
the drive label...and CS.

Remember, with CS, ALL your drives will (probably) have to be jumpered CS.
Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)

James

I posted the same sort of detection problem a few weeks ago. I'll give you
a $50 solution: buy another motherboard.

I tried 2 sets of cables. Different IDE channels. All jumper settings.
k7s5a would not recognize my 40GB drive. Spend the money and save the
frustration.

So fun

"Rob Latus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> i have had one of these boards for about 8 months and not really come
> accross any problems - until now
>
> I recently purchased a Western Digital 80Gb drive with udma 100 and 8Mb
> cache.
>
> I was wanting to use this as a master and then slave in my old smasung

40Gb
> drive, which is also udma 100 but only a 2Mb cache.
>
> The problem is that i cannot get these two drives to work together. yet
> seperatley they seem to be fine.
>
> If i put them both in my system all appears fine and then the whole thing
> locks up, this can be anything from 5minutes to hours later. Sometimes the
> lock up is accompanied by a blue screen and an error report but not

always.
> Then the only way to restart the pc is after a reset of the bios. I have
> tried several bioses.
>
> I have noticed also that my 80Gb drive is detected ok in my bios (latest
> honeyx bios) however the parameters that are detected ie the number of
> cylinders etc does not match what the Western Digital specs are for the
> drive, it does seem to run fine though.
>
> Any advice / help is really appreciated on this one.
>

> Rob

K7S5A Pro and New Hard Drive Robert Stewart ECS 11 10-26-2005 11:20 PM
Update on my Canon IP4000 query--- + new query MB_ Dell 3 12-28-2004 11:09 AM
K7S5A Pro hard time to see 200 gig drive Steve Friedman ECS 7 01-05-2004 05:45 PM
K7S5A PRO max hard drive Kbus ECS 12 12-27-2003 01:14 PM
k7s5a pro - hard drive won't fdisk/format to over 2 gig, HELP jeff ECS 3 07-11-2003 04:53 PM