K7S5A Pro LAN

Ken

I have the above MB (v5.0) with what reads on the LAN chip as RTL8201BL
LAN. Searching the news groups I have read about how the real LAN
driver should be SIS900 PCI-based Ethernet and have tried several
versions of that driver. The hardware is recognized by Win XP and says
it is operating properly, but each time I try to connect to my cable
modem (RCA DCM315R) it says it is trying to obtain an address and no
connection is ever made.

After having tried everything I could think of, I finally installed
another LAN in a PCI slot and everything works fine with it. Does
anyone have the built in LAN working on this MB??? If so, what driver
and setting did you use in order to accomplish that? Thanks.

Kyle

SIS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter is the name given by my system to
the adapter, and it has worked properly in several k7s5a systems I've
built over the years. The RTL8201BL refers to the PHY layer, whatever
that means. Just use the SIS 900 driver, it should work. No
particular/custom settings should be required if your setup is using
"obtain IP address automatically" via DHCP, which is what you should
be using.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

Kyle wrote:
> SIS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter is the name given by my system to
> the adapter, and it has worked properly in several k7s5a systems I've
> built over the years. The RTL8201BL refers to the PHY layer, whatever
> that means. Just use the SIS 900 driver, it should work. No
> particular/custom settings should be required if your setup is using
> "obtain IP address automatically" via DHCP, which is what you should
> be using.

Thanks for the reply. I have been setting my LAN as you describe with
IP address automatic and still no luck. Perhaps I have a bad circuit?
My purpose in asking is that others have expressed difficulty in getting
their on-board LANs to work with the same symptoms. I kept thinking I
had something set wrong or still had not found the correct driver. Thanks.

Thierry Lafond

Ken wrote:
> I have the above MB (v5.0) with what reads on the LAN chip as
> RTL8201BL LAN. Searching the news groups I have read about how the
> real LAN driver should be SIS900 PCI-based Ethernet and have tried
> several versions of that driver. The hardware is recognized by Win
> XP and says it is operating properly, but each time I try to connect
> to my cable modem (RCA DCM315R) it says it is trying to obtain an
> address and no connection is ever made.
>
> After having tried everything I could think of, I finally installed
> another LAN in a PCI slot and everything works fine with it. Does
> anyone have the built in LAN working on this MB??? If so, what

driver
> and setting did you use in order to accomplish that? Thanks.

you can find the driver you need on www.ecs.com.tw

Ken

Thierry Lafond wrote:
> Ken wrote:
>> I have the above MB (v5.0) with what reads on the LAN chip as
>> RTL8201BL LAN. Searching the news groups I have read about how the
>> real LAN driver should be SIS900 PCI-based Ethernet and have tried
>> several versions of that driver. The hardware is recognized by Win
>> XP and says it is operating properly, but each time I try to connect
>> to my cable modem (RCA DCM315R) it says it is trying to obtain an
>> address and no connection is ever made.
>>
>> After having tried everything I could think of, I finally installed
>> another LAN in a PCI slot and everything works fine with it. Does
>> anyone have the built in LAN working on this MB??? If so, what

> driver
>> and setting did you use in order to accomplish that? Thanks.

> you can find the driver you need on www.ecs.com.tw

I am going to try the driver, but I THINK I already tried this one.
Did you encounter any problems with your LAN??

Ken

Thierry Lafond wrote:
> Ken wrote:
>> I have the above MB (v5.0) with what reads on the LAN chip as
>> RTL8201BL LAN. Searching the news groups I have read about how the
>> real LAN driver should be SIS900 PCI-based Ethernet and have tried
>> several versions of that driver. The hardware is recognized by Win
>> XP and says it is operating properly, but each time I try to connect
>> to my cable modem (RCA DCM315R) it says it is trying to obtain an
>> address and no connection is ever made.
>>
>> After having tried everything I could think of, I finally installed
>> another LAN in a PCI slot and everything works fine with it. Does
>> anyone have the built in LAN working on this MB??? If so, what

> driver
>> and setting did you use in order to accomplish that? Thanks.

> you can find the driver you need on www.ecs.com.tw

I give up. It still refuses to obtain the address regardless of what
version driver I use. Since it works with a plug-in card I can live
without the on board LAN working. Thanks.

Buffalo

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thierry Lafond wrote:
> > Ken wrote:
> >> I have the above MB (v5.0) with what reads on the LAN chip as
> >> RTL8201BL LAN. Searching the news groups I have read about how the
> >> real LAN driver should be SIS900 PCI-based Ethernet and have tried
> >> several versions of that driver. The hardware is recognized by Win
> >> XP and says it is operating properly, but each time I try to connect
> >> to my cable modem (RCA DCM315R) it says it is trying to obtain an
> >> address and no connection is ever made.
> >>
> >> After having tried everything I could think of, I finally installed
> >> another LAN in a PCI slot and everything works fine with it. Does
> >> anyone have the built in LAN working on this MB??? If so, what

> > driver
> >> and setting did you use in order to accomplish that? Thanks.

> > you can find the driver you need on www.ecs.com.tw
> >

> I give up. It still refuses to obtain the address regardless of what
> version driver I use. Since it works with a plug-in card I can live
> without the on board LAN working. Thanks.

Do you have it enabled in the BIOS?
I just thought I would mention it, just in case.

Ken

Buffalo wrote:
> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thierry Lafond wrote:

>>> driver
>>> you can find the driver you need on www.ecs.com.tw
>>>

>> I give up. It still refuses to obtain the address regardless of what
>> version driver I use. Since it works with a plug-in card I can live
>> without the on board LAN working. Thanks.

> Do you have it enabled in the BIOS?
> I just thought I would mention it, just in case.

Yes, it is enabled and detected by Windows. In fact Win says it is
operating properly. It just cannot resolve the IP address regardless of
what driver I use. Perhaps it is bad?