K7S5A PRO motherboard REV:5.0

bardeban

When I boot the board with updated BIOS, the board reports the CPU as XP
2000+, but my CPU is Athlon 2800+ is there anything I am missing in the bios
setup? I personally think it might be the fan on the cpu, maybe I need a
better one.
any help from the wise guys?
TIA

Paul

bardeban wrote:
> When I boot the board with updated BIOS, the board reports the CPU as XP
> 2000+, but my CPU is Athlon 2800+ is there anything I am missing in the
> bios setup? I personally think it might be the fan on the cpu, maybe I
> need a better one.
> any help from the wise guys?
> TIA

That is a 166Mhz (FSB333) processor being run at 133MHz (FSB266).
If the motherboard and chipset were capable of it, you'd go into
the BIOS and turn up the CPU clock.

(Table of Athlons...)
http://web.archive.org/web/200310180...QDISocketA.htm

2800+ 2083MHZ = 166 * X, X = 12.5

2000+ 1667MHz = 133 * 12.5

So the multiplier of your processor is 12.5, and changing the clock
from 133 to 166, gets it running at 2083MHz. Then it has a P.R. rating
of 2800+.

If you motherboard cannot make it to 166MHz safely, then you'd have
to find a way to modify the multiplier. And some processors are locked,
so even if the BIOS has a multiplier option (not all do), the processor
may prevent it from working.

Without tricks, the best processor for a board limited to FSB266,
would be a 2600+ (looking in the table above, it is the fastest 133Mhz
processor). But even when they were available, those were pretty
rare.

Finding a motherboard that supports FSB333 at least, would be one solution.
My Nforce2 board goes to FSB400, so that is an example. There are also
several VIA KT family chipsets that can handle the higher FSB values.

This board on Newegg, is one of the last S462 boards they have for sale.
This would work. RAM type on this board, is DDR.

PC CHIPS M848A (V5.0) A (462) SiS 746FX full sized ATX motherboard $50

Paul

bardeban

I did that but the board doesn't boot.
I set the bus speed to 166MHz and memory speed to 133MHz but it never booted
to new setting.
one question here, I am testing this board with 64MB PC 100, anything wrong
with that?

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fe9skr$49c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> bardeban wrote:
>> When I boot the board with updated BIOS, the board reports the CPU as XP
>> 2000+, but my CPU is Athlon 2800+ is there anything I am missing in the
>> bios setup? I personally think it might be the fan on the cpu, maybe I
>> need a better one.
>> any help from the wise guys?
>> TIA
>>

> That is a 166Mhz (FSB333) processor being run at 133MHz (FSB266).
> If the motherboard and chipset were capable of it, you'd go into
> the BIOS and turn up the CPU clock.
>
> (Table of Athlons...)
> http://web.archive.org/web/200310180...QDISocketA.htm
>
> 2800+ 2083MHZ = 166 * X, X = 12.5
>
> 2000+ 1667MHz = 133 * 12.5
>
> So the multiplier of your processor is 12.5, and changing the clock
> from 133 to 166, gets it running at 2083MHz. Then it has a P.R. rating
> of 2800+.
>
> If you motherboard cannot make it to 166MHz safely, then you'd have
> to find a way to modify the multiplier. And some processors are locked,
> so even if the BIOS has a multiplier option (not all do), the processor
> may prevent it from working.
>
> Without tricks, the best processor for a board limited to FSB266,
> would be a 2600+ (looking in the table above, it is the fastest 133Mhz
> processor). But even when they were available, those were pretty
> rare.
>
> Finding a motherboard that supports FSB333 at least, would be one
> solution.
> My Nforce2 board goes to FSB400, so that is an example. There are also
> several VIA KT family chipsets that can handle the higher FSB values.
>
> This board on Newegg, is one of the last S462 boards they have for sale.
> This would work. RAM type on this board, is DDR.
>
> PC CHIPS M848A (V5.0) A (462) SiS 746FX full sized ATX motherboard $50
>
> Paul

Paul

bardeban wrote:
> I did that but the board doesn't boot.
> I set the bus speed to 166MHz and memory speed to 133MHz but it never
> booted to new setting.
> one question here, I am testing this board with 64MB PC 100, anything
> wrong with that?

If you have PC100 RAM, a lot of your setting options are going to be
running it at 133MHz or higher. So your RAM is a potential issue right
away.

Apparently there is something called "HoneyX" hacked BIOS. The HoneyX
gives intermediate frequencies ? I see mention of 150/150 being the
fastest you can select (because 150/4 = 37.5 and that is the max for
the PCI bus you can reasonably expect to work). But expecting your
PC100 RAM to run at 150MHz, is stretching things a bit.

Plenty has been written about the K7S5A, so if you Google on the
subject, you're bound to find some opinions. Personally, if I
had your processor, and wanted to get the rated speed, I'd just
pick up a $50 motherboard, a $30 stick of DDR RAM, and put the
processor into a motherboard that really supports 166MHz.

But if you're determined to spend zero on this project, there are
always "wire tricks", bridge mods, hacked BIOS, you name it.
Experiments galore, until you kill the thing.

"Wire tricks" are for motherboards that don't support setting the
multiplier, but you know the multiplier is not locked. This web
page shows how to insert wires in the S462 socket, to set the
multiplier. And no, I didn't have the guts to do this with my
board :-) Before doing this, you check the date code on your
processor, to see if it is one of the locked ones or not.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html

You could also just leave it alone, and just use the board
the way it is.

Good luck,
Paul

> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fe9skr$49c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> bardeban wrote:
>>> When I boot the board with updated BIOS, the board reports the CPU as
>>> XP 2000+, but my CPU is Athlon 2800+ is there anything I am missing
>>> in the bios setup? I personally think it might be the fan on the cpu,
>>> maybe I need a better one.
>>> any help from the wise guys?
>>> TIA
>>>

>> That is a 166Mhz (FSB333) processor being run at 133MHz (FSB266).
>> If the motherboard and chipset were capable of it, you'd go into
>> the BIOS and turn up the CPU clock.
>>
>> (Table of Athlons...)
>> http://web.archive.org/web/200310180...QDISocketA.htm
>>

>> 2800+ 2083MHZ = 166 * X, X = 12.5
>>
>> 2000+ 1667MHz = 133 * 12.5
>>
>> So the multiplier of your processor is 12.5, and changing the clock
>> from 133 to 166, gets it running at 2083MHz. Then it has a P.R. rating
>> of 2800+.
>>
>> If you motherboard cannot make it to 166MHz safely, then you'd have
>> to find a way to modify the multiplier. And some processors are locked,
>> so even if the BIOS has a multiplier option (not all do), the processor
>> may prevent it from working.
>>
>> Without tricks, the best processor for a board limited to FSB266,
>> would be a 2600+ (looking in the table above, it is the fastest 133Mhz
>> processor). But even when they were available, those were pretty
>> rare.
>>
>> Finding a motherboard that supports FSB333 at least, would be one
>> solution.
>> My Nforce2 board goes to FSB400, so that is an example. There are also
>> several VIA KT family chipsets that can handle the higher FSB values.
>>
>> This board on Newegg, is one of the last S462 boards they have for sale.
>> This would work. RAM type on this board, is DDR.
>>
>> PC CHIPS M848A (V5.0) A (462) SiS 746FX full sized ATX motherboard $50
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813185074
>>
>> Paul

bardeban

Hi Paul:
I tested my CPU/board with 256MB DDR2100 but it didn't boot.
The latest bios that I upgraded on this board and it is in ECS website is
dated at Aug-2003
On the bios there are 3 different set up for CPU and memory
1-100/100
2-133/133
3-166/133
Since my board is 333MHz FSB, I must select the last one, but the board
won't boot, I think I need a bios upgrade again! but where do I get it when
ECS site don't have it??
Honeyx is not a bad idea but only 150MHz?would be my last option.

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:febt5l$d8e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>>> to find a way to modify the multiplier. And some processors are locked,
>>> so even if the BIOS has a multiplier option (not all do), the processor
>>> may prevent it from working.
>>>
>>> Without tricks, the best processor for a board limited to FSB266,
>>> would be a 2600+ (looking in the table above, it is the fastest 133Mhz
>>> processor). But even when they were available, those were pretty
>>> rare.
>>>
>>> Finding a motherboard that supports FSB333 at least, would be one
>>> solution.
>>> My Nforce2 board goes to FSB400, so that is an example. There are also
>>> several VIA KT family chipsets that can handle the higher FSB values.
>>>
>>> This board on Newegg, is one of the last S462 boards they have for sale.
>>> This would work. RAM type on this board, is DDR.
>>>
>>> PC CHIPS M848A (V5.0) A (462) SiS 746FX full sized ATX motherboard $50

Kyle

I have 2 of these boards, they are 133/266 MHz FSB boards, most will
not boot above 150 MHz FSB, I do not understand what you are trying to
accomplish, the chipset will not work at FSB speeds above about 140
MHz or so.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"bardeban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:470d6847$0$26408$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> [...]
| > processor into a motherboard that really supports 166MHz.
| >
| > But if you're determined to spend zero on this project, there are
| > always "wire tricks", bridge mods, hacked BIOS, you name it.
| > Experiments galore, until you kill the thing.
| >
| > "Wire tricks" are for motherboards that don't support setting the
| > multiplier, but you know the multiplier is not locked. This web
| > page shows how to insert wires in the S462 socket, to set the
| > multiplier. And no, I didn't have the guts to do this with my
| > board :-) Before doing this, you check the date code on your
| > processor, to see if it is one of the locked ones or not.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html

| > You could also just leave it alone, and just use the board
| > the way it is.
| >
| > Good luck,
| > Paul
| >

| >> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Buffalo

"bardeban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47084f12$0$26483$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> When I boot the board with updated BIOS, the board reports the CPU as XP
> 2000+, but my CPU is Athlon 2800+ is there anything I am missing in the

bios
> setup? I personally think it might be the fan on the cpu, maybe I need a
> better one.
> any help from the wise guys?
> TIA
>

> --

You might be able to use a program such as SpeedFan to increase the FSB once
the computer is booted up.
Make sure your ram can take the speed increase.