K7SEM and high density memory

mike99

can I use a so called "high density " memory w/that mobo???because
dealer who sold me one of those HD sticks says I can only use low
density on that board(rev 1.0 ). My puter was working fine w/that
stick for about a week , then the memowy died, and shows only 128MB or
wonít boot at all.Is he trying to scam me, or heís telling the
truth?memowy was no name, 512MB pc133 168 pin dimm. :cry:

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Eliteg...pict61698.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=311172

http://www.usenet.com

mike99

"mike99" wrote
> can I use a so called "high density " memory w/that
> mobo???because dealer who sold me one of those HD sticks says
> I can only use low density on that board(rev 1.0 ). My puter
> was working fine w/that stick for about a week , then the
> memowy died, and shows only 128MB or won't boot at all.Is he
> trying to scam me, or he's telling the truth?memowy was no
> name, 512MB pc133 168 pin dimm. :cry

If that was a stupid question please let me know..........

tcsenter

>>can I use a so called "high density " memory w/that mobo???<<

The problem is that there is no accepted definition of "high density"
memory modules. It can and does mean different things, and we have no
idea what the dealer defines as high density. He could mean x4 DRAM
technology, he could mean 256Mbit components, or something else.

The SIS730S supports both x4 DRAM and 256Mbit chips, but there must be
BIOS support as well. I couldn't tell you if K7SEM supports some
arbitrarily defined 'high density' modules I've never see, but I can
point you to memory modules that will work:

A-DATA 256MB PC133 (16MX8) SDRAM module -
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/produc...tem=20-211-005

A-DATA 512MB PC133 (32MX8) SDRAM module -
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/produc...tem=20-211-136

Generic 256MB PC133 (32Mx8) SDRAM module -
http://www.ms4me.com/oem25pcinsta.html

Generic 512MB PC133 (32Mx8) SDRAM module -
http://www.ms4me.com/oem51pcsd32t.html

Brian Campbell

When if cannot see all the ram, it is a high density problem. Ususally
the problem is fixed with a bios update, but if that does not work, your
options are limited. I doubt you are being scammed, but there is always
that chance.

mike99 ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
: can I use a so called "high density " memory w/that mobo???because
: dealer who sold me one of those HD sticks says I can only use low
: density on that board(rev 1.0 ). My puter was working fine w/that
: stick for about a week , then the memowy died, and shows only 128MB or
: wonít boot at all.Is he trying to scam me, or heís telling the
: truth?memowy was no name, 512MB pc133 168 pin dimm. :cry:

: --
: Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
: Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
: Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Eliteg...pict61698.html
: Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=311172

: Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
: ----------------------------------------------------------
: ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
: ----------------------------------------------------------
: http://www.usenet.com

Buffalo

"mike99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7_311172_aa4ba0b09effc8449318e6d3d7e6f6fb@har dwareforumz.com...
> can I use a so called "high density " memory w/that mobo???because
> dealer who sold me one of those HD sticks says I can only use low
> density on that board(rev 1.0 ). My puter was working fine w/that
> stick for about a week , then the memowy died, and shows only 128MB or
> won't boot at all.Is he trying to scam me, or he's telling the
> truth?memowy was no name, 512MB pc133 168 pin dimm. :cry:

High-density sticks do not work as universally as low-density sticks do. In
fact, they are really limited.
If your PC worked with that memory for a week (recognizing the full 512MBs) then
it sounds like the memory was faulty.
High and low density both have the same voltage rating, so your MB would not
burn it out, or damage it.
Strange that it only recognizes 128.
Remove and reseat the memory stick.
If that doesn't help, try the other slot.
See if the dealer can check out that stick for you.
Here is a blurb from Flipper:
Sounds like it was 'high density' RAM.

"It isn't that 'high density' never works, it depends on how much RAM
you're trying to install.

'Standard' RAM chips are organized a DEPTH x 8 Bits. E.g. 32x8, 64x8,
etc. That means 8 of the chips make up a 64 bit wide rank (memory bus
is 64 bits wide). "Double Sided" is an old term to describe a stick
with 16 chips, 8 on each side. And with DEPTH x 8 chips that makes for
2 ranks (or, again in an older style terminology: 2 'banks').

'High Density' chips are DEPTH x 4 bits so it takes 16 to make a 64
bit wide memory rank. And this is why "double sided" is no longer the
favored description because when x8 chips are used "Double sided"
means "double rank" but with x4 chips it takes both sides and 16 chips
to make the ONE, single, rank.

Now to the problem. A memory 'slot' is usually designed for 'standard'
x8 chips and memory sticks containing 2 ranks. That is how the
'capacity' will be described. I.E. the K7S5A says it can handle up to
"1 gig" with two DDR slots, and that means 512Meg per slot, which
means 256 Meg PER RANK. (2 ranks per slot, 2 slots, etc)

But a 'high density' memory stick crams the 512 Meg into ONE RANK by
using 16 deeper (twice as deep) x4 bit width chips. And this is how
they arrive at the confusing term 'high density'. The chips themselves
are no higher in density than the x8 chips but since they are
organized as x4 they can cram more 'bytes' into a single rank because
16 chips make up a rank rather than 8, not that it helps make the
stick itself any 'higher' in 'density' because you can still only get
16 chips mounted on the thing.

So, a 512 Meg 'high density' stick puts 512 Meg in ONE RANK and a
'standard' density 512 Meg stick is two 256 Meg Ranks. Same size, same
'density'. It's the RANK organization that's different.

Since the memory slot on a K7S5A is two 256 Meg Ranks, a standard
density 512 Meg stick will work but a 'high density' 512 Meg stick
will not.

However, a 'high density' 256 Meg stick probably will since it crams
the 256 Meg into ONE RANK and the K7S5A can handle 256 Meg ranks.

For example, I'm running SDRAM on my K7S5A and, as it turns out, one
is 'standard' x8 density and the other is 'high density x4. But
they're both 256 Meg sticks and they both work. Damn irritating,
however, as they were both bought at the same time inside the same
package label, and same part number, with 16 chips on each so they
look identical (Kingston) but they are NOT the same thing. Doesn't
matter to my K7S5A but it means I can not use the 'high density' one
in my other motherboards because they support 128 Meg ranks (256 Meg
per slot but NOT in 'high density').

So, in a nutshell, if you're looking for 512 Meg sticks, make sure the
spec says they use x8 chips. But, if you're not trying to get 1 gig
then two 256 meg 'high density' sticks will be cheaper.

Flipper"

Hope this helps explain high and low density sticks somewhat.
Buffalo

tcsenter

>>'Standard' RAM chips are organized a DEPTH x 8 Bits....'High Density' chips are DEPTH x 4 bits<<

This is but one of many definitions, obviously the one you prefer, but
by no means the only one in common use. Again, there is no accepted
industry definition of "high density" relative to standard or low
density.

In DRAM component and module datasheets, the term "density" itself is
more likely to imply or be associated with chip capacity (Mbit) instead
of the cell array organization, but not always. These are perhaps the
most arbitrary terms in use WRT memory.

In the EDO SIMM and PC66 SDRAM era, talk of "low density" and "high
density" RAM often referred to the limitation of then-current chipsets
to support modules no larger than 64MBytes. In the PC100 era, these
terms often referred to the 128Mbit component density limitation of
certain chipsets such as Intel 440BX and 810E, and VIA MVP3. 128Mbit
and lower was referred to as 'low density' while 256Mbit and higher was
'high density'.

When PC133 became commonplace, one had to be mindful of whether their
chipset supported 'old' PC133 or 'new' PC133 (e.g. VIA MVP3 vs. Apollo
Pro133). No doubt when DDR2 accounts for most market share and DDR is
obsolete, there will be different limitations giving rise to another
meaning for high and low density, so on and so forth.

Also, I'm fairly sure that ranks are physical sides, not logical.

uddarts

"mike99" wrote:
> If that was a stupid question please let me know..........

there does appear to be issues with high density ram with some board.
low density is industry standard.

http://ms4me.com/mi51pcsd16di.html

sis 730 chipset isnít listed.

ud

mike99

"uddarts" wrote:
> there does appear to be issues with high density ram with some
> board. low density is industry standard.
>
> http://ms4me.com/mi51pcsd16di.html
>
> sis 730 chipset isn't listed.
>

> ud

"SIS 730S isnít listed", Is it a good or bad news for me???

uddarts

"mike99" wrote:
> "SIS 730S isn't listed", Is it a good or bad news for me???

my interpretation is no.

ud

news:7_311344_b0fe78f95eea5469852179bf4ba034c4@har dwareforumz.com...
> "uddarts" wrote:
> > there does appear to be issues with high density ram with some
> > board. low density is industry standard.
> >
> > http://ms4me.com/mi51pcsd16di.html
> >
> > sis 730 chipset isn't listed.
> >

> > ud

> "SIS 730S isn't listed", Is it a good or bad news for me??

Bad news. Try ebay for some good deals on ram. Just make sure it is of the low
density type.
Still, your MB will not cause high density to fail.

What is the difference between High-Density and Low-Density DDR-RAM modules ? Michael Hertz Asus 0 01-12-2008 02:28 PM
high density vs. low density mm Asus 2 10-01-2007 10:45 PM
p4X400 and high-density memory chips McPhallus Soyo 0 05-25-2006 02:32 AM
SN45G - High Density Memory? jcondliffe@gmail.com Shuttle 0 09-21-2005 03:06 PM
P4S333-VM and High Density Memory James Asus 1 07-24-2004 06:13 AM