K8n Neo 2 Network adapter problem

xyz

I have a K8n Neo2 Platinum. I'm trying to do a fresh install of Windows XP
onto a new hard drive and I'm not able to get the onboard network adapter
working.

I can't seem to find the original install disk for this motherboard.

I downloaded and installed the most current system drivers from MSI.

I know the BIOS is set correctly and the adapter is operable because it
works fine when I boot from my old hard drive.

On the new hard drive, in device manager, the network adapter is listed
under "other devices" and has no driver installed.

The driver package clearly mentions Ethernet and has a check mark to
indicate that it is chosen for install but I don't know why a driver isn't
being installed.

I'm fairly computer savvy but I suck when it comes to network problems.

Does anyone have any insight for me? Please help

Thank You

Folk

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:50:10 -0500, "xyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a K8n Neo2 Platinum. I'm trying to do a fresh install of Windows XP
>onto a new hard drive and I'm not able to get the onboard network adapter
>working.
>

>I can't seem to find the original install disk for this motherboard.
>

>I downloaded and installed the most current system drivers from MSI.
>

>I know the BIOS is set correctly and the adapter is operable because it
>works fine when I boot from my old hard drive.
>

>On the new hard drive, in device manager, the network adapter is listed
>under "other devices" and has no driver installed.
>

>The driver package clearly mentions Ethernet and has a check mark to
>indicate that it is chosen for install but I don't know why a driver isn't
>being installed.
>

>I'm fairly computer savvy but I suck when it comes to network problems.
>

>Does anyone have any insight for me? Please help

You might try downloading the chipset drivers directly from Nvidia. I
think they have a later version.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce3_winxp_5.11

xyz

"Folk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:50:10 -0500, "xyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have a K8n Neo2 Platinum. I'm trying to do a fresh install of Windows
>>XP
>>onto a new hard drive and I'm not able to get the onboard network adapter
>>working.
>>

>>I can't seem to find the original install disk for this motherboard.
>>

>>I downloaded and installed the most current system drivers from MSI.
>>

>>I know the BIOS is set correctly and the adapter is operable because it
>>works fine when I boot from my old hard drive.
>>

>>On the new hard drive, in device manager, the network adapter is listed
>>under "other devices" and has no driver installed.
>>

>>The driver package clearly mentions Ethernet and has a check mark to
>>indicate that it is chosen for install but I don't know why a driver isn't
>>being installed.
>>

>>I'm fairly computer savvy but I suck when it comes to network problems.
>>

>>Does anyone have any insight for me? Please help

> You might try downloading the chipset drivers directly from Nvidia. I
> think they have a later version.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce3_winxp_5.11

Thanks, I tried that but still no luck.

Folk

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:15:03 -0500, "xyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Folk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:50:10 -0500, "xyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a K8n Neo2 Platinum. I'm trying to do a fresh install of Windows
>>>XP
>>>onto a new hard drive and I'm not able to get the onboard network adapter
>>>working.
>>>

>>>I can't seem to find the original install disk for this motherboard.
>>>

>>>I downloaded and installed the most current system drivers from MSI.
>>>

>>>I know the BIOS is set correctly and the adapter is operable because it
>>>works fine when I boot from my old hard drive.
>>>

>>>On the new hard drive, in device manager, the network adapter is listed
>>>under "other devices" and has no driver installed.
>>>

>>>The driver package clearly mentions Ethernet and has a check mark to
>>>indicate that it is chosen for install but I don't know why a driver isn't
>>>being installed.
>>>

>>>I'm fairly computer savvy but I suck when it comes to network problems.
>>>

>>>Does anyone have any insight for me? Please help

>> You might try downloading the chipset drivers directly from Nvidia. I
>> think they have a later version.
>>
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce3_winxp_5.11

>Thanks, I tried that but still no luck.

The driver package I linked to is a self-extracting zip. If you
extract it to a folder, you'll see that it contains an Ethernet folder
with the drivers for your adapter. Have you tried right-clicking on
the "other" device and updating the driver by pointing it to the
extracted Ethernet folder?

xyz

"Folk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:15:03 -0500, "xyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Folk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> You might try downloading the chipset drivers directly from Nvidia. I
>>> think they have a later version.
>>>
>>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce3_winxp_5.11

>>Thanks, I tried that but still no luck.

> The driver package I linked to is a self-extracting zip. If you
> extract it to a folder, you'll see that it contains an Ethernet folder
> with the drivers for your adapter. Have you tried right-clicking on
> the "other" device and updating the driver by pointing it to the
> extracted Ethernet folder?

Yes, I've tried that too. I doesn't find what it wants in that folder. I
even copied the driver being used for this network adapter on the old
harddrive and pasted it into the new drive's windows/system32/drivers
folder. Then I tried updating the driver by directing it to the one I had
just pasted and still it doesn't seem to allow me to install anything.

Folk

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:17:25 -0500, "xyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Folk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:15:03 -0500, "xyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>"Folk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>Thanks, I tried that but still no luck.

>> The driver package I linked to is a self-extracting zip. If you
>> extract it to a folder, you'll see that it contains an Ethernet folder
>> with the drivers for your adapter. Have you tried right-clicking on
>> the "other" device and updating the driver by pointing it to the
>> extracted Ethernet folder?

>Yes, I've tried that too. I doesn't find what it wants in that folder. I
>even copied the driver being used for this network adapter on the old
>harddrive and pasted it into the new drive's windows/system32/drivers
>folder. Then I tried updating the driver by directing it to the one I had
>just pasted and still it doesn't seem to allow me to install anything.

That's weird. I'm out ideas...

K8N, K8N-E, K8N-E, Deluxe overclock Sempron 2800? myPC Asus 0 05-25-2006 05:20 AM
K8N Neo-FSR ~= K8N Neo Platinum dab49873@yahoo.co.uk MSI 3 03-22-2006 09:49 PM
K8N Neo Platinum USB problem Me MSI 0 10-16-2004 03:15 PM
K8N Neo Platinum: What software to install for Network Access Manager access? (WinXP) Don Reese MSI 1 09-04-2004 07:44 AM
K8T Neo - OR - K8N Neo Platinum Ken Williams MSI 3 08-12-2004 02:24 AM