K8V latest version?

Bob Petruska

Anyone know the latest board version? Does it have the good capacitors or
still the bad ones?

Lost One

The one I rec'd from zipzoomfly this week was a 1.12 - no problems with the board so far.
3200+ proc
Only two driver issues related one each to SATA setup, and graphics card.

I'll post those after getting through the group.

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:08:22 -0500, "Bob Petruska" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone know the latest board version? Does it have the good capacitors or
>still the bad ones?

Sarak

Sorry, I never heard the old PCB versions had bad capacitors. Can someone
explain this? Are the boards faulty?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Anyone know the latest board version? Does it have the good capacitors

or
> >still the bad ones?

Ed

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:44:19 -0600, "Sarak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sorry, I never heard the old PCB versions had bad capacitors. Can someone
>explain this? Are the boards faulty?

Yes, the early boards had bad CAPs and its posted on the Asus site what
to look for, I don't have the URL sorry.

I'm looking at the MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R only cause the K8V can't run 3
sticks of DDR 400 which I need.

FWIW my friend just built this...,
MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R (K8T800 Chipset)
Athlon 64 3000+ (2.0GHz/512K)
Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3500 Level One Dual Pack
Running 2.2GHz (220 bus) out of the box at all default voltages.
paid $550 @ newegg, he's real happy, he had a KT133A/1700+. ;p

Cheers,
Ed

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ed
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:44:19 -0600, "Sarak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Sorry, I never heard the old PCB versions had bad capacitors. Can someone
> >explain this? Are the boards faulty?

> Yes, the early boards had bad CAPs and its posted on the Asus site what
> to look for, I don't have the URL sorry.
>
> I'm looking at the MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R only cause the K8V can't run 3
> sticks of DDR 400 which I need.

Check carefully, that the three slots are not intended for one
double sided and two single sided sticks. If the chipset only has
control signals for four banks, it doesn't matter how many slots
are soldered to the board, you can still only have four banks.

> FWIW my friend just built this...,
> MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R (K8T800 Chipset)
> Athlon 64 3000+ (2.0GHz/512K)
> Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3500 Level One Dual Pack
> Running 2.2GHz (220 bus) out of the box at all default voltages.
> paid $550 @ newegg, he's real happy, he had a KT133A/1700+. ;p
>
> Cheers,
> Ed

HTH,
Paul

Paul

In article <NpPZb.5368$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Sarak"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sorry, I never heard the old PCB versions had bad capacitors. Can someone
> explain this? Are the boards faulty?

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/faq/q...px?KB_ID=85257

HTH,
Paul

> "Lost One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > The one I rec'd from zipzoomfly this week was a 1.12 - no problems with

> the board so far.
> > 3200+ proc
> > Only two driver issues related one each to SATA setup, and graphics card.
> >
> > I'll post those after getting through the group.
> >

> > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:08:22 -0500, "Bob Petruska"

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Anyone know the latest board version? Does it have the good capacitors

> or
> > >still the bad ones?

Paul

In article <nospam-2102041801020001@192.168.1.177>, (E-Mail Removed)
(Paul) wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ed
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:44:19 -0600, "Sarak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Sorry, I never heard the old PCB versions had bad capacitors. Can someone
> > >explain this? Are the boards faulty?

> > Yes, the early boards had bad CAPs and its posted on the Asus site what
> > to look for, I don't have the URL sorry.
> >
> > I'm looking at the MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R only cause the K8V can't run 3
> > sticks of DDR 400 which I need.

> Check carefully, that the three slots are not intended for one
> double sided and two single sided sticks. If the chipset only has
> control signals for four banks, it doesn't matter how many slots
> are soldered to the board, you can still only have four banks.
>

> > FWIW my friend just built this...,
> > MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R (K8T800 Chipset)
> > Athlon 64 3000+ (2.0GHz/512K)
> > Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3500 Level One Dual Pack
> > Running 2.2GHz (220 bus) out of the box at all default voltages.
> > paid $550 @ newegg, he's real happy, he had a KT133A/1700+. ;p
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ed

> HTH,
> Paul

Sorry. I thought you were referring to the motherboards having a
different number of DIMM slots or something.

If you are referring to the "speed table" in the Asus manual,
that is a function of the processor. See page 16 of the AMD datasheet:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/24659.PDF

The rules in that table should apply to any motherboard with that
processor. That is why Asus copied the table into their manual.

Page 32 of the MSI manual, contains the same table:

http://download.msi.com.tw/support/m.../E6702v1.1.zip

HTH,
Paul

Ed

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:29:26 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote:

>Sorry. I thought you were referring to the motherboards having a
>different number of DIMM slots or something.
>
>If you are referring to the "speed table" in the Asus manual,
>that is a function of the processor. See page 16 of the AMD datasheet:
>
>http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/24659.PDF
>
>The rules in that table should apply to any motherboard with that
>processor. That is why Asus copied the table into their manual.
>
>Page 32 of the MSI manual, contains the same table:
>
>http://download.msi.com.tw/support/m.../E6702v1.1.zip
>
>HTH,
> Paul

Paul,
I have 3 SS DDR 400 sticks,

the MSI board shows,
D S S DDR400
S S S DDR400

The K8V only shows DDR 333 support for 3 dimms,
correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed

Barry posted in another thread,
You need to be aware that an Athlon 64 only supports two memory sticks
at 400 Mhz, with three it drops to 333 Mhz. Since the memory controller
is integrated into the processor there's nothing you can do about this
limitation.

So I take it 3 SS DDR400 sticks may work on that MSI mobo but will still
only run at DDR 333 speeds, bummer!

Cheers,
Ed

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ed
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:29:26 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote:
>

> >Sorry. I thought you were referring to the motherboards having a
> >different number of DIMM slots or something.
> >
> >If you are referring to the "speed table" in the Asus manual,
> >that is a function of the processor. See page 16 of the AMD datasheet:
> >

>http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/24659.PDF
> >
> >The rules in that table should apply to any motherboard with that
> >processor. That is why Asus copied the table into their manual.
> >
> >Page 32 of the MSI manual, contains the same table:
> >
> >http://download.msi.com.tw/support/m.../E6702v1.1.zip
> >
> >HTH,
> > Paul

> Paul,
> I have 3 SS DDR 400 sticks,
>
> the MSI board shows,
> D S S DDR400
> S S S DDR400
>
> The K8V only shows DDR 333 support for 3 dimms,
> correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

You are right. It looks like MSI decided to embellish the table.
Asus looks closer to the AMD provided table than MSI. (Not that I
plan on verifying each and every entry - I used to get paid to
do stuff like that :-) The stuff in the MSI table looks like
things I would try, based on the other entries. For example, if
a mobo offers "D x D", then a natural assumption is that "S S D"
or maybe "D S S" would work also. That is why, no matter what
rules are stated in the table, you won't really know until you
try it.

Normally, a company like AMD will provide design rules for
laying out the board. They will include track dimensions,
spacing, copper stackup, matching requirement (delta between
signals), and so on. If both companies follow the same design
rules, they should have matching RAM population tables.

And, we all know how the motherboard companies stand by their
predictions of how many and what type of RAM can be used <VBG>.

Paul