K8WE (2895) Windows x64 Roxio 8 and Plextor PX-716A

Jim

Help! Roxio Media Creator stopped seeing my twin Plextor PX-716A
drives. (Roxio says, "No Device Detected.) The drives show up fine in
Device Manager, and they will play both audio CDs and DVD movies; but
they do not show up in Roxio 8. When I use the "Do More" button they
show up fine and as being "Ready" to work. I am using the nForce4
Professional IDE chipset drivers 8.22, but Roxio didn't work before I
upgraded.) Roxio's tech support is the *worst* I have ever seen!

Thanks!

Jim

Ward Taylor

Hi Jim
Did they work with roxio before retrospect? I am not using roxio, so I
can't say for sure, but it might need to have windows' removable storage
manager running in order to use the drives? That said, retrospect
automatically shuts down windows removable storage manager and sets it's
start up type to manual. Just to check, you might start up that service
and then open roxio and see if it sees your drives.
Cheers

Jim wrote:
> Help! Roxio Media Creator stopped seeing my twin Plextor PX-716A
> drives. (Roxio says, "No Device Detected.) The drives show up fine in
> Device Manager, and they will play both audio CDs and DVD movies; but
> they do not show up in Roxio 8. When I use the "Do More" button they
> show up fine and as being "Ready" to work. I am using the nForce4
> Professional IDE chipset drivers 8.22, but Roxio didn't work before I
> upgraded.) Roxio's tech support is the *worst* I have ever seen!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim

Jim

Hi Ward,

You have been *extremeley* helpful! Thank you very much. I thought I
was on to something with this, by mistake. I found a page at the
Microsoft Knowledge Base relating to recording. I enabled recording on
the properties for the drives, and I changed, what I didn't know at the
time, was the "Windows Removable Storage Manager" to "automatic."
Unfortunately it isn't fixed yet, but I think that is on the right
track. For some reason I am having no problem on this machine, which
also has Retrospect 7.5 but a different CD-R drive. (Come to think of
it, perhaps it's the drive model, because the PC-716A on *this* machine
has the Record box unchecked.) You are helping me to understand this
more fully. Nevertheless, Roxio 8 *still* does not see the drives. I
do have them blocked out in Retrospect.

Thanks again! I think I am getting closer to solving this!

Jim

Jim

Installing Nero 7 Ultra "broke" my install of Roxio Media Creator 8.
NeroCheck changed a bunch of Registry entries so that Roxio could no
longer find my DVD/RW drives. I had to (a) uninstall Nero 7 Ultra and
*leave* it off, (b) uninstall Roxio 8, and (c) reinstall Roxio 8. Now
it is working again. I am out numerous hours, and the cost of Nero 7
Ultra; but my system is working again.

Thank Ward Taylor for the help with this solution!

We Tyan owners need to help each other! :-)

Jim

Rob Stow

Jim wrote:
> Installing Nero 7 Ultra "broke" my install of Roxio Media Creator 8.
> NeroCheck changed a bunch of Registry entries so that Roxio could no
> longer find my DVD/RW drives. I had to (a) uninstall Nero 7 Ultra and
> *leave* it off, (b) uninstall Roxio 8, and (c) reinstall Roxio 8. Now
> it is working again. I am out numerous hours, and the cost of Nero 7
> Ultra; but my system is working again.
>
> Thank Ward Taylor for the help with this solution!
>
> We Tyan owners need to help each other! :-)

This isn't a Tyan issue at all. You installed two conflicting
software packages - you would have had this problem with any
motherboard.

I suspect that if you read the setup instructions for Nero a
little more carefully you will find something warning you to
first uninstall or disable things like Roxio.

Jim

Rob,

You are obviously correct. However, before I identified NeroCheck as a
source of the problem, I thought that the nForce4 professional chipset
IDE drivers might be contributing to the problem. Those drivers *are*
found on the Tyan K8WE (S2895) motherboard, and they do deal with IDE
differently from the way IDE is handled on other chipsets.

Jim

Karen Stonier

I have the same problem - keep getting the NO DRIVE DETECTED with
Roxio 8, and YES - their support is the absolute WORST ever. I
downloaded this via the Internet, so afraid to remove and then try to
re-install. I have a Compaq Presario, Windows XP. I have been on the
help line with HP and they can't fix it. ROXIO won't reply at ALL.

Jim

Karen,

....and you do *not* have Nero 7 installed? Perhaps a post on the Roxio
self-help form will be useful. That is how I solved my problem.

Good luck! :-)

Jim

K8WE (S2895) LSI onboard SCSI Win x64 and Sony Tape Retrospect Jim Tyan 2 02-12-2006 06:41 AM
K8WE Motherboard (S2895) and LSI onboard SCSI Drivers in Win x64 Jim Tyan 2 11-24-2005 10:59 PM
PCI-X 100 MHz Sound Card for Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) Under x64 Jim Tyan 5 10-11-2005 09:35 PM
HP and Windows x64 David Casey HP 1 04-28-2005 01:10 AM
Windows Media Player and Roxio Anonymous Dell 3 01-31-2004 07:47 PM