K9N2 SLI Platinum JCOM1 Pinout --- NONSTANDARD

Dell

MSI Group & Devs Specifically:

There **is** a problem with the JCOM1 port on the motherboard! MSI has
reversed the actual pinout of the serial port header on the motherboard.
To make use of the serial port you must find a **non-standard** RS560 DB9
to RS232 "straight through" cable that is advertised as being for "Intel"
chipsets. This is a critical problem for those relying on serial
communications to their UPS.

It is as if MSI just forgot that RS232 standards require pins 1&8,
2&3, 4&7 to be configured so that communications can take place between
the ports of different peripherals. Probably due to the fact that the
serial port has been a standard item integrated into the motherboard back
panel for so long that whoever did the design on the pinout header for a
"connector type" application overlooked the requirement. I'm none too
happy about this one. Paying over $150 for a motherboard and the company
can't even include a proper 30 cent serial port connector that will work
with the motherboard....

The most frustrating thing about this whole calamity is that no where
in the 131 page manual does it even mention the fact that the connection
requires a non-standard straight through cable. It wasn't until I had run
a program that would toggle the state of the DTR, RTS and SIN while
measuring the pin voltages with a muti-meter that I discovered this gaff.

Solution:

The connectory I found and liked was:

http://www.cablesnmor.com/db9-port-straight.aspx

(I have no connection with the site, but I liked the reinforced backplate)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Andy

Those two standards (DB9M TO IDC10 SERIAL (DTK) PORT
<http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID7035532&partno=07 121&search=DB9M_TO_IDC10&rsite=f.70605&rcode=>
and DB9M TO IDC10 SERIAL (AT-EVEREX) PORT
<http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID7035532&partno=07 120&search=SERIAL&rsite=f.70605&rcode=>)
have been around for decades. The RS-232 signal definition
corresponding to each IDC10 pin as shown on page 31 of the K9N2 SLI
Platinum manual should be sufficient to determine which cable is
required.