Keep getting error trying to restore PB Multimedia

HiC

I've got an old PB Multimedia 110, the h/d was taken out to be used in
another machine and I want to make it work again. I saw it boot up and
run Win95 when I first got it, and it was barely used, so I know the
computer is basically sound.

I have everything that came with this computer, all the software,
restore disks, everything. So, I took another h/d and tried to use it.
Booted with the restore floppy in the A:\ drive, it says to reformat
and restore. At some point it asks for the backup CD in the CD-ROM.
All is going well until it gives an

"unable to write to C:\windows\calc.exe"

It says "continue?" But only has a "cancel" option, no "yes" to
continue option. I tried this with a couple of drives, same result. I
put the backup CD in another computer and looked at it, the calc.exe
file is there.

Any suggestions on why it's doing this and how to get around whatever
this glitch is and make it reload windows?

Anthony

"HiC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
<<<SNIPPED>>>
> Booted with the restore floppy in the A:\ drive,

it says to reformat
> and restore. At some point it asks for the

backup CD in the CD-ROM.
> All is going well until it gives an
>
> "unable to write to C:\windows\calc.exe"
>
> It says "continue?" But only has a "cancel"

option, no "yes" to
> continue option. I tried this with a couple of

drives, same result. I
> put the backup CD in another computer and looked

at it, the calc.exe
> file is there.
>
> Any suggestions on why it's doing this and how

to get around whatever
> this glitch is and make it reload windows?

HiC,

The CALC.EXE program is only the Windows
"caculator". I was not clear on what options it
said when you get the error, but if you can just
skip over that file, all should run OK.

You may want to try putting the Windows
Installation CD on your hard drive (make a folder
called WIN95 on the C: deive, and copy the WIN95
folder from the CD to the folder on the hard
drive), and run the setup program from the hard
drive (WIN95 folder) instead of the CD ROM.
Sounds like it has a problem reading the CALC.EXE
file from the CD. If it sill give the error, then
it is probably the CD that is bad, try getting a
good copy of the CLAC.EXE program and replace it
with the bad one on the hard drive.

I am ~somewhat~ sure this should work.
--
Regards,
Anthony

Elector

"HiC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I've got an old PB Multimedia 110, the h/d was taken out to be used

in
> another machine and I want to make it work again. I saw it boot up

and
> run Win95 when I first got it, and it was barely used, so I know the
> computer is basically sound.
>
> I have everything that came with this computer, all the software,
> restore disks, everything. So, I took another h/d and tried to use

it.
> Booted with the restore floppy in the A:\ drive, it says to reformat
> and restore. At some point it asks for the backup CD in the CD-ROM.
> All is going well until it gives an
>
> "unable to write to C:\windows\calc.exe"
>
> It says "continue?" But only has a "cancel" option, no "yes" to
> continue option. I tried this with a couple of drives, same result.

> put the backup CD in another computer and looked at it, the calc.exe
> file is there.
>
> Any suggestions on why it's doing this and how to get around

whatever
> this glitch is and make it reload windows?

Hi HiC:

I noticed Anthony answered this post so I will see If I can expand on
it. You have a bad disk or cd in that it cannot read the
"Calculator.exe" which is part of the windows install. Can you get
another copy of the same cd? Many times that will cure the problem.
You could also try and clean the cd to see if the program is read
properly.

Another thing I was thinking about is that your system may have a bad
CD ROM in that the device slows down or skips? Is it the original CD
ROM? And if the computer is one of the older ones then the cd rom is
connected to the sound/modem etc. I hate combo cards.

Try and use Windows 95 Disks or better yet, you can get a copy of
windows 95 from a friend and do a fresh install of the Operating
System and then go to the web for needed sound, video, and modem
drivers or get them extracted off the restore cd you own where they
are all kept.

I believe the Windows 95 is available at certain websites for free.
Like Windows 3.x but don't quote me on it. http://www.google.com might
be the place to start.

I hope I helped?

Elector

---
View the ALT.SYS.PC-CLONE.PACKARDBELL FAQs @
http://pbfaq.tripod.com/
For a fun place to post try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/officialpackardbellusers

Elector

"Elector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<1Nzcb.5025$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> Hi HiC:
>
> I noticed Anthony answered this post so I will see If I can expand on
> it. You have a bad disk or cd in that it cannot read the
> "Calculator.exe" which is part of the windows install. Can you get
> another copy of the same cd?

I put the backup CD in the CD rom of another computer with Windows
running. When I find the calc.exe and when I dbl click it, it brings
up the calculator. So, presumably this means it must be reading it?

> Another thing I was thinking about is that your system may have a bad
> CD ROM in that the device slows down or skips? Is it the original CD
> ROM?

It's the original, but keep in mind this machine has almost 0 useage.
Nothing got used enough to wear out.

> Try and use Windows 95 Disks or better yet, you can get a copy of
> windows 95 from a friend and do a fresh install of the Operating
> System and then go to the web for needed sound, video, and modem
> drivers or get them extracted off the restore cd you own where they
> are all kept.

Supposedly, this version of Win95 will ONLY run on a Packard Bell,
that a standard Win95 install disk won't run on this.

HiC

" Anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bku0su$2os$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> The CALC.EXE program is only the Windows
> "caculator". I was not clear on what options it
> said when you get the error, but if you can just
> skip over that file, all should run OK.

Won't let me. It says "Continue?" but doesn't actually give a button
to continue. Only a "cancel" button.

> You may want to try putting the Windows
> Installation CD on your hard drive (make a folder
> called WIN95 on the C: deive, and copy the WIN95
> folder from the CD to the folder on the hard
> drive), and run the setup program from the hard
> drive (WIN95 folder) instead of the CD ROM.
> Sounds like it has a problem reading the CALC.EXE
> file from the CD.

Well, the thing is, what's directing all this is a floppy recovery
disk in drive A: This whole process is programmed onto it. How would
I redirect it to use the files on the hard drive itself? Also, to
accomplish this copying of the CD rom to the hard drive, I assume you
mean to stick that hard drive in a different computer and copy the
contents of the CD to the hard drive.

94X5J4QVL0UBTOAROYJMB8TIQGMAIY

HiC wrote: "I put the backup CD in the CD rom of another computer with
Windows running. When I find the calc.exe and when I dbl click it, it brings
up the calculator. So, presumably this means it must be reading it?"

Since another PC can read and load the calculator from the CD-ROM, this
suggests your CD-ROM is not at fault, but that your problem is with the CD
drive on your old model 110. You can verify this by running one of the
diagnostic programs, such as Belarc.com or PCPitstop.com. There are others,
including Norton Utilities. The problem with the drive could be dust, or a
bad connection, a bad drive, or other. If the machine has not been cleaned,
one of the canned dusters may solve your problem. Re-seating the cards and
cables may solve the problem. Just remember to wear a ground strap, and good
luck.
-------------------
(E-Mail Removed)
View the only OFFICIAL and UPDATED FAQ for alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Elector

"HiC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Elector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<1Nzcb.5025$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> > Hi HiC:
> >
> > I noticed Anthony answered this post so I will see If I can expand

on
> > it. You have a bad disk or cd in that it cannot read the
> > "Calculator.exe" which is part of the windows install. Can you get
> > another copy of the same cd?

> I put the backup CD in the CD rom of another computer with Windows
> running. When I find the calc.exe and when I dbl click it, it brings
> up the calculator. So, presumably this means it must be reading it?
>

> > Another thing I was thinking about is that your system may have a

bad
> > CD ROM in that the device slows down or skips? Is it the original

CD
> > ROM?

> It's the original, but keep in mind this machine has almost 0

useage.
> Nothing got used enough to wear out.
>

> > Try and use Windows 95 Disks or better yet, you can get a copy of
> > windows 95 from a friend and do a fresh install of the Operating
> > System and then go to the web for needed sound, video, and modem
> > drivers or get them extracted off the restore cd you own where

they
> > are all kept.

> Supposedly, this version of Win95 will ONLY run on a Packard Bell,
> that a standard Win95 install disk won't run on this.

Hi HiC:

What may be the solution here is that if the cd is dependent on the
system then it may be looking for the tattoo this is how to place the
tattoo on a new hard drive: From Simons Post:

"Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkfblj$17asv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
<snip>
> Create a Windows 98 Boot Diskette
> Locate on Master CD's the folder 'DRIVERS'
> From this folder copy to the boot diskette the following files:
>
> Tattoo.exe
> Shellhs.dll
>
> Remove and install your new HDD
>
> Power up the system and boot from the diskette into DOS and at the

A> prompt
> enter the following
> command:
>
> Tattoo /createhsfromdmi
>
> This will transfer a copy of the tattoo from the motherboard bios to

the
> hdd.
>

> HTH
>
> Simon

This may be the next logical step in the fixing of the system.

I hope that helped?

Elector

Elector

"HiC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> " Anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<bku0su$2os$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> > The CALC.EXE program is only the Windows
> > "caculator". I was not clear on what options it
> > said when you get the error, but if you can just
> > skip over that file, all should run OK.

> Won't let me. It says "Continue?" but doesn't actually give a button
> to continue. Only a "cancel" button.
>
> > You may want to try putting the Windows
> > Installation CD on your hard drive (make a folder
> > called WIN95 on the C: deive, and copy the WIN95
> > folder from the CD to the folder on the hard
> > drive), and run the setup program from the hard
> > drive (WIN95 folder) instead of the CD ROM.
> > Sounds like it has a problem reading the CALC.EXE
> > file from the CD.

> Well, the thing is, what's directing all this is a floppy recovery
> disk in drive A: This whole process is programmed onto it. How

would
> I redirect it to use the files on the hard drive itself? Also, to
> accomplish this copying of the CD rom to the hard drive, I assume

you
> mean to stick that hard drive in a different computer and copy the
> contents of the CD to the hard drive.

HiC:
Another note, just because the program can run from the disk (CD) does
not mean the cd its self is not faulty. It can sometimes be a simple
as I stated before, clean the cd, look for scratches, etc. Also in
your other reply to me I noted that you believe that due to almost non
use the situation could not be the CD ROM. Again age plays a major
fault in the devices. Rubber breaks down, metal parts have the
lubrication break down, dust and dirt can still get in or on the
device. Many things can and do go wrong.

But try that tattoo suggestion from Simon, it may be what the system
is looking for.

I Hope that helped?

Elector

HiC

"Elector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<SIIcb.54$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> What may be the solution here is that if the cd is dependent on the
> system then it may be looking for the tattoo this is how to place the
> tattoo on a new hard drive: From Simons Post:

> > Create a Windows 98 Boot Diskette
> > Locate on Master CD's the folder 'DRIVERS'
> > From this folder copy to the boot diskette the following files:
> >
> > Tattoo.exe
> > Shellhs.dll

Copy these file to where on the boot diskette? Also and however, to
clarify, are you outlining a way to load Win98 on this PB? The master
CD for this PB has Win95. Neither of these files you mentioned is
found on the original PB Master CD.