Keeping the Desktop Simple - My Preferences

TaliesinSoft

I'm one who likes my desktop to be free of clutter. In this regard the
desktop background is the gray linen texture that Apple uses when you
log onto an account, the dock, in addition to the icons for Finder and
Trash, only contains icons for the currently open applications, and the
menu bar is visible only when the cursor is over it. All of my
documents are organized into folders and subfolders which in turn are
within the Documents folder. To launch an application I use either the
Recent Items list which appears under the Apple menu or I use Spotlight
where I can enter a few leading letters and then enter a return. This
arrangement works fine for me but tends to be in strong contrast to
what I typically see, desktops with a sea of icons and a dock with
easily fifty or more items. I guess it all comes down to individual
preferences, but I have found that the speed by which I navigate and
make choices tends to be faster than that used by acquaintences with
the more usual desktop arrangement.

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

Lewis

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
TaliesinSoft <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm one who likes my desktop to be free of clutter. In this regard the
> desktop background is the gray linen texture that Apple uses when you
> log onto an account, the dock, in addition to the icons for Finder and
> Trash, only contains icons for the currently open applications, and the
> menu bar is visible only when the cursor is over it. All of my
> documents are organized into folders and subfolders which in turn are
> within the Documents folder. To launch an application I use either the
> Recent Items list which appears under the Apple menu or I use Spotlight
> where I can enter a few leading letters and then enter a return. This
> arrangement works fine for me but tends to be in strong contrast to
> what I typically see, desktops with a sea of icons and a dock with
> easily fifty or more items. I guess it all comes down to individual
> preferences, but I have found that the speed by which I navigate and
> make choices tends to be faster than that used by acquaintences with
> the more usual desktop arrangement.

My Dock includes the Finder, the Trash, and Mission Control. I also have
three folders (A folder of desktop pictures, my downloads, and recent
apps) The only other thing in the Dock are running apps.

I use Launchbar to open pretty much every document or application on my
computer, unless I open something from the Terminal.

I keep a few things on the desktop, but only a few. I keep the dock
visible, but small, because I like the badging that some apps do (For
example, ĀµTorrent shows the up and download bandwidth being used) when
it's in the Dock.

--
'You know me,' said Rincewind. 'Just when I'm getting a grip on
something Fate comes along and jumps on my fingers.' --Interesting Times