keeping my hardware cool and clean in the desert!

max slomoff

hello,
i have to set up a computer, monitor and projector in a very hot and
dusty desert environment.

i was thinking about building an enclosure to seal these components in
with an air conditioner. i'm curious if the air conditioner can
operate in a sealed enclosure and if if will create condensation that
will damage the electronics.

the other option is to have two openings in the enclosure covered by
air filteres and fans to pump air in and out of the enclosure.

any ideas?

thanks,
max

Bob Day

"max slomoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> hello,
> i have to set up a computer, monitor and projector in a very hot and
> dusty desert environment.
>
> i was thinking about building an enclosure to seal these components in
> with an air conditioner. i'm curious if the air conditioner can
> operate in a sealed enclosure and if if will create condensation that
> will damage the electronics.

A normal room air conditioner will work fine in a sealed
enclosure -- that's what they're designed to do. Make
sure it can drip water to the outside.

-- Bob Day

Jim Phelps

(E-Mail Removed) (max slomoff) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> hello,
> i have to set up a computer, monitor and projector in a very hot and
> dusty desert environment.
>
> i was thinking about building an enclosure to seal these components in
> with an air conditioner. i'm curious if the air conditioner can
> operate in a sealed enclosure and if if will create condensation that
> will damage the electronics.
>
> the other option is to have two openings in the enclosure covered by
> air filteres and fans to pump air in and out of the enclosure.
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> max

Hi Max, Air condtioners don't produce moisture. They remove moisture
from the air in the room and if the unit is a Window unit like the
older ones I am familiar with they dump the condensed moisture outside
the room. Jim

Denis MICHEL

(E-Mail Removed) (max slomoff) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> hello,
> i have to set up a computer, monitor and projector in a very hot and
> dusty desert environment.
>
> i was thinking about building an enclosure to seal these components in
> with an air conditioner. i'm curious if the air conditioner can
> operate in a sealed enclosure and if if will create condensation that
> will damage the electronics.
>
> the other option is to have two openings in the enclosure covered by
> air filteres and fans to pump air in and out of the enclosure.
>
> any ideas?

If weigth doesn't matter, you could use a PC watercooler ...
If the run time is limited, you could use ice-packs or dry ice.

Next time, go in a SNOW desert, not a sand one

Aaron

(E-Mail Removed) (max slomoff) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> hello,
> i have to set up a computer, monitor and projector in a very hot and
> dusty desert environment.
>
> i was thinking about building an enclosure to seal these components in
> with an air conditioner. i'm curious if the air conditioner can
> operate in a sealed enclosure and if if will create condensation that
> will damage the electronics.
>
> the other option is to have two openings in the enclosure covered by
> air filteres and fans to pump air in and out of the enclosure.
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> max

Well, the air conditioner is a good idea. The problem will come when
the components are put back in hot air. If there is any humidity in
the air, moisture will condense on the components. If you always ran
the A/C, you would be OK. My guess is that in a desert there is not
enough moisture in the air to cause harmful condensation.

Air conditioners can not be run in an enclosed area, because all they
do it move heat. So, you have to have a system that you are cooling,
and an area that the hot air will exhaust to.

Aaron

Michael P Gabriel

(E-Mail Removed) (Aaron) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (max slomoff) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > hello,
> > i have to set up a computer, monitor and projector in a very hot and
> > dusty desert environment.
> >
> > i was thinking about building an enclosure to seal these components in
> > with an air conditioner. i'm curious if the air conditioner can
> > operate in a sealed enclosure and if if will create condensation that
> > will damage the electronics.
> >
> > the other option is to have two openings in the enclosure covered by
> > air filteres and fans to pump air in and out of the enclosure.
> >
> > any ideas?
> >
> > thanks,
> > max

desert...Picture Rocks, AZ, just outside the Saguaro National Park.
What you need is an air purifier....I hear them advertized on the
radio, 790 in Tucson and 550 in Phoenix. Mike