keyboard doesn't work intermitently

Chris

Using on screen keyboard now-have tablet laptop. keyboard works in safe mode
& bios. only sometimes-like now-doesn't work in windows xp sp2. Tried
registry fix on microsoft site but reg key doesn't exist..

'A device with an integrated alphanumeric hardware keyboard is recommended
to set the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\HasKeyb oard registry
key to a value of 1.'

PLEASE HELP!I've posted everywhere. Toshiba is no help at all.
Toshiba Satellite R-15S822
2G ram
Xp sp2

phantom3329649

Bad keyboard. Get new one on ebay. I had to.

"Chris" wrote:

> Using on screen keyboard now-have tablet laptop. keyboard works in safe mode
> & bios. only sometimes-like now-doesn't work in windows xp sp2. Tried
> registry fix on microsoft site but reg key doesn't exist..
>
> 'A device with an integrated alphanumeric hardware keyboard is recommended
> to set the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\HasKeyb oard registry
> key to a value of 1.'
>
> PLEASE HELP!I've posted everywhere. Toshiba is no help at all.
> Toshiba Satellite R-15S822
> 2G ram
> Xp sp2

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> Bad keyboard. Get new one on ebay. <<

Getting one is easy... getting it into the screen is the tricky part ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Chris

OK, not to be rude, but you are obviously not a troubleshooter. If the
keyboard was bad, it would NEVER work. It works EVERY TIME when I go into
BIOS. This definately points to a driver problem iwhen it loads into
WindowXP. And I can usually tell when it won't work because it hangs for a
long time at the WINDOW XP welcome screen. Actually, it's working fine right
now. And I can always use the USB keyboard I have. It just cuts out the
portablity.
Oh, and if the keyboard doesn't work, I just have to re-boot and then it's
fine.

Chris

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" wrote:

> >> Bad keyboard. Get new one on ebay. <<

> Getting one is easy... getting it into the screen is the tricky part ;-)

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> OK, not to be rude, but you are obviously not a troubleshooter. <<

My apologies... but, if you re-read my response in threaded format, or
look at the quote content, you will see that my rude comment was not
directed at you, but at the first responder who thought you were talking
about an external keyboard rather than the onscreen tablet keyboard.

I didn't respond to your question because I didn't have an answer and
know nothing about the specific tablet you are using, that plus the fact
that you indicated that the only likely source of help (Toshiba) you had
already eliminated as well.

The only suggestions I might have would be to do a repair install BUT
ONLY IF YOU HAVE ORIGINAL TOSHIBA TABLET PC OS RECOVERY CD'S or to
continue googling.

fwiw, the key you refer to seems to be related to hardware keyboard,
but, even if you don't have that key, it can be created or imported.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Chris

Sorry, I didn't realize you were responding to the other reply. I'm just at
my wits end here, and I've baffled just about everyone I've written or spoken
to. I end up keeping a USB keyboard nearby, for the times the regular
keyboard doesn't work, or I just reboot if I'm not in a hurry.
Thanks.

Chris

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" wrote:

> >> OK, not to be rude, but you are obviously not a troubleshooter. <<

> My apologies... but, if you re-read my response in threaded format, or
> look at the quote content, you will see that my rude comment was not
> directed at you, but at the first responder who thought you were talking
> about an external keyboard rather than the onscreen tablet keyboard.
>
> I didn't respond to your question because I didn't have an answer and
> know nothing about the specific tablet you are using, that plus the fact
> that you indicated that the only likely source of help (Toshiba) you had
> already eliminated as well.
>
> The only suggestions I might have would be to do a repair install BUT
> ONLY IF YOU HAVE ORIGINAL TOSHIBA TABLET PC OS RECOVERY CD'S or to
> continue googling.
>
> fwiw, the key you refer to seems to be related to hardware keyboard,
> but, even if you don't have that key, it can be created or imported.

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

can you take a moment to clarify your original post... it's confusing
because of the many possibilities... notably, it's not clear to me
exactly which keyboard you are talking about... to whit;

the laptop's hardware keyboard
the laptop's bios (login) keyboard
the tablet pc's TIP/handwriting input interface
the TIP's icon on the taskbar
the TIP's not showing up at an insertion point

plus you mentioned a usb keyboard... which one and does it use special
software?

In the meantime, assume you know about START/RUN/OSK to fill in when all
else fails?

As for disappearing, the more info the better... could be from
interference from taskbar apps... have you tried killing everything you
don't need in msconfig or after boot to see if that helps.

Finally, boot, drop to dos and issue the command

TASKLIST >> C:\TEMP\DIAG.TXT

(assuming you have a C:\TEMP directory)

....then when it fails, do the same again, then open the file and look to
see what's different.

You might also post that so that others can look for something obvious.

Finally, this is not the only tablet forum... suggest googling for
TABLET TOSHIBA FORUM plus, you might try,

<http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4>

<http://www.gottabemobile.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=41>

<http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2656>

Hope this takes you a little further down the solution path.

_Finally_ if you achieve a solution, please post it here for others.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Chris

Bev,
Sorry I wasn't clearer. I am, indeed, talking about the laptop's hardware
keyboard that just doesn't respond after booting, and only sometimes. If I
boot into Bios, it always works. The keyboard I use when it fails is a USB
keyboard that doesn't require any software. I have an icon for the OSK that I
use in an emergency, but that's painful to use.
I have tried seeing if there is an EVENT (Start/Control Panel/Administrative
Tools/Event Viewer, but it doesn't show anything.
I'll try the Diag.txt
Thanks! I take back what I said about you not being a diagnostician.

Chris

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" wrote:

> can you take a moment to clarify your original post... it's confusing
> because of the many possibilities... notably, it's not clear to me
> exactly which keyboard you are talking about... to whit;
>
> the laptop's hardware keyboard
> the laptop's bios (login) keyboard
> the tablet pc's TIP/handwriting input interface
> the TIP's icon on the taskbar
> the TIP's not showing up at an insertion point
>
> plus you mentioned a usb keyboard... which one and does it use special
> software?
>
> In the meantime, assume you know about START/RUN/OSK to fill in when all
> else fails?
>
> As for disappearing, the more info the better... could be from
> interference from taskbar apps... have you tried killing everything you
> don't need in msconfig or after boot to see if that helps.
>
> Finally, boot, drop to dos and issue the command
>
> TASKLIST >> C:\TEMP\DIAG.TXT
>
> (assuming you have a C:\TEMP directory)
>
> ....then when it fails, do the same again, then open the file and look to
> see what's different.
>
> You might also post that so that others can look for something obvious.
>
> Finally, this is not the only tablet forum... suggest googling for
> TABLET TOSHIBA FORUM plus, you might try,
>
> <http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4>
>
> <http://www.gottabemobile.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=41>
>
> <http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2656>
>
> Hope this takes you a little further down the solution path.
>
> _Finally_ if you achieve a solution, please post it here for others.

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> laptop hardware keyboard <<

How does it "not work" i.e. no keys work, some keys wrong, etc

>> registry key <<

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\HasKeyb oard

is a windows mobile (pocketpc/smartphone) registry value and does not
apply to other os'

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

might take a look at