Info:
Have separate keychain password
OS 10.6.7
*
Thank you.

--
Norm

Nitefall

On 2011-05-11 07:42:52 -0700, Norm said:

> Whenever I startup or restart, I get a request to use the keychain. The
> requesting file is: <FileSyncAgent>
> *
> What would that mean and is there a way to approve it permanently so I
> don't need to enter the keychain password on each
> start/restart?
>
> Info:
> Have separate keychain password
> OS 10.6.7
> *
> Thank you.

Is your machine bound to a directory server? OR, does a company own
the machine?

If HomeSync is turned on (by directory services MCX settings) you will
see this message form time to time on boot.

It is probably trying to synchronize your home directory with a network
share somewhere.

Nitefall

On 2011-05-11 07:42:52 -0700, Norm said:

> Info:
> Have separate keychain password
> OS 10.6.7

Oh...wait... I am blind and didn't read this bit.

Do you mean to say that your keychain password is different than your
login password?

Again in a Directory Services implementation, this would definately
affect your ability to sync a mobile home directory.

David Empson

Norm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Whenever I startup or restart, I get a request to use the keychain. The
> requesting file is: <FileSyncAgent>
>
> What would that mean and is there a way to approve it permanently so I
> don't need to enter the keychain password on each start/restart?
>
> Info:
> Have separate keychain password
> OS 10.6.7

I expect that FileSyncAgent is already permanently approved to access
your keychain. The problem is that FileSyncAgent needs to access the
keychain when it runs at startup, and at that point your keychain is
locked.

Your keychain must be unlocked before FileSyncAgent can access it, and
in order to unlock the keychain, you must type in your keychain
password.

By using a different keychain and login password, you will ALWAYS have
to enter your keychain password the first time something needs to access
your keychain after you log in (or any other time the keychain gets
locked again).

To avoid this, change your keychain password so that it is the same as
your login password (allowing your keychain to be unlocked
automatically).

If you prefer to have different login and keychain passwords for added
security, then you will have to get used to typing in your keychain
password when requested. For even better security, you should configure
the keychain to lock automatically when the computer goes to sleep or
screen saver.

As to the question of exactly what "FileSyncAgent" might be: a little
digging shows it is responsible for synchronizing MobileMe's iDisk with
the locally cached copy. If you want to stop FileSyncAgent from
automatically running when you log in, you will need to disable local
caching of your iDisk.

That will delay the request for your keychain password until something
else needs to access your keychain.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

AES

In article <1k15sbf.1tihrmo7e3smzN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> As to the question of exactly what "FileSyncAgent" might be: a little
> digging shows it is responsible for synchronizing MobileMe's iDisk with
> the locally cached copy. If you want to stop FileSyncAgent from
> automatically running when you log in, you will need to disable local
> caching of your iDisk.
>
> That will delay the request for your keychain password until something
> else needs to access your keychain.
>
> --
> David Empson
> (E-Mail Removed)

David, I just want to say in all sincerity that you are a great asset to
this group, and a model poster, with informative, detailed, and always
helpful replies. If you were to get fed up with posting these replies
and drop out, it would be a genuine loss.

--AES

George Kerby

On 5/12/11 8:59 AM, in article
siegman-52F949.06592112052011@bmedcf...s.ad.tufts.edu, "AES"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1k15sbf.1tihrmo7e3smzN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>
>> As to the question of exactly what "FileSyncAgent" might be: a little
>> digging shows it is responsible for synchronizing MobileMe's iDisk with
>> the locally cached copy. If you want to stop FileSyncAgent from
>> automatically running when you log in, you will need to disable local
>> caching of your iDisk.
>>
>> That will delay the request for your keychain password until something
>> else needs to access your keychain.
>>
>> --
>> David Empson
>> (E-Mail Removed)

> David, I just want to say in all sincerity that you are a great asset to
> this group, and a model poster, with informative, detailed, and always
> helpful replies. If you were to get fed up with posting these replies
> and drop out, it would be a genuine loss.
>
> --AES

I second that motion.

Norm

In article <2011051118373431168-nitefall@komkastnet>, Nitefall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2011-05-11 07:42:52 -0700, Norm said:
>
> > Whenever I startup or restart, I get a request to use the keychain. The
> > requesting file is: <FileSyncAgent>
> > *
> > What would that mean and is there a way to approve it permanently so I
> > don't need to enter the keychain password on each
> > start/restart?
> >
> > Info:
> > Have separate keychain password
> > OS 10.6.7
> > *
> > Thank you.

> Is your machine bound to a directory server? OR, does a company own
> the machine?

No.

> If HomeSync is turned on (by directory services MCX settings) you will
> see this message form time to time on boot.
>
> It is probably trying to synchronize your home directory with a network
> share somewhere.

Hmmm.... got it. Is there a way to determine this?

--
Norm

Norm

In article <2011051118392185450-nitefall@komkastnet>, Nitefall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2011-05-11 07:42:52 -0700, Norm said:
>
> > Info:
> > Have separate keychain password
> > OS 10.6.7

> Oh...wait... I am blind and didn't read this bit.
>
> Do you mean to say that your keychain password is different than your
> login password?

Yes it it.

> Again in a Directory Services implementation, this would definately
> affect your ability to sync a mobile home directory.

--
Norm

Norm

In article <1k15sbf.1tihrmo7e3smzN%(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> By using a different keychain and login password, you will ALWAYS have
> to enter your keychain password the first time something needs to access
> your keychain after you log in (or any other time the keychain gets
> locked again).

David, thank you for answering my question(s) so completely.

As always, I appreciate.

--
Norm