KG-7 RAID max cpu?

FreedWillie

OK, I want to upgrade from a 1400+ Athlon XP. I've just gone through
the group's history at Google Groups and I see a message from 2003
claiming stable use of a 2400+ cpu in the KG-7.

Is there anyone out there who has a faster processor on the KG-7
currently?

Alternatively, does anyone know the actual max speed of processor the
board will handle?

Strictly interpreting the manual, it would appear to support a future
processor (beyond 2100+) that is 1) socket A and 2) 266 MHz FSB. If
that is so, then the max processor supported is theoretically the
Athlon XP 2800+ with fsb 266 Mhz.

Is that correct, and does the KG-7 support it?

Thanks to all in advance.

Ed

Wes Newell

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:59:08 +0000, FreedWillie wrote:

> OK, I want to upgrade from a 1400+ Athlon XP. I've just gone through
> the group's history at Google Groups and I see a message from 2003
> claiming stable use of a 2400+ cpu in the KG-7.
>
> Is there anyone out there who has a faster processor on the KG-7
> currently?

Yes, but not me. Some are running multiplier unlocked barton cores.

> Alternatively, does anyone know the actual max speed of processor the
> board will handle?

Without overclocking the fsb, 24x133.33 or about a real 3200MHz. Good luck
trying to get one of the XP's to even come close to that.:-)

> Strictly interpreting the manual, it would appear to support a future
> processor (beyond 2100+) that is 1) socket A and 2) 266 MHz FSB. If that
> is so, then the max processor supported is theoretically the Athlon XP
> 2800+ with fsb 266 Mhz.
>
> Is that correct, and does the KG-7 support it?

Depends on what you mean by support. Will it run it, yes. Will it post as
a 2800+, probably not, but that doesn't matter, as posting speeds are just
cosmetics. The one below simply post as an unknown proccessor @ 2400MHz.
and that's on a 100Mhz FSB.

Bob Troll

Although the KG7 was a fine board in it's day (I owned 2), sell it amd put a
NF7s v2.0 in place of it. You'll beat your head against the wall a whole lot
less.

Regards, Bob Troll

FreedWillie

Gracious are the assumptions you draw of my ability to infer. Thank
you. But let me put this another way.

I'm a cellist and know more about dynamics of music than that of a
motherboard/cpu.

I have a KG-7 RAID with a 1400+ Athlon XP. I want to upgrade the
processor for that motherboard to the point where the next processor
up will not make the computer any faster (regardless of non-cpu
factors such as memory speed). Therefore, I will buy an Athlon Z+ XP.

Solve for Z.

Thanks again.
Ed

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:22:48 GMT, Wes Newell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:59:08 +0000, FreedWillie wrote:
>
>> OK, I want to upgrade from a 1400+ Athlon XP. I've just gone through
>> the group's history at Google Groups and I see a message from 2003
>> claiming stable use of a 2400+ cpu in the KG-7.
>>
>> Is there anyone out there who has a faster processor on the KG-7
>> currently?
>>

>Yes, but not me. Some are running multiplier unlocked barton cores.
>
>> Alternatively, does anyone know the actual max speed of processor the
>> board will handle?
>>

>Without overclocking the fsb, 24x133.33 or about a real 3200MHz. Good luck
>trying to get one of the XP's to even come close to that.:-)
>
>> Strictly interpreting the manual, it would appear to support a future
>> processor (beyond 2100+) that is 1) socket A and 2) 266 MHz FSB. If that
>> is so, then the max processor supported is theoretically the Athlon XP
>> 2800+ with fsb 266 Mhz.
>>
>> Is that correct, and does the KG-7 support it?
>>

>Depends on what you mean by support. Will it run it, yes. Will it post as
>a 2800+, probably not, but that doesn't matter, as posting speeds are just
>cosmetics. The one below simply post as an unknown proccessor @ 2400MHz.
>and that's on a 100Mhz FSB.

FreedWillie

Thank you for the great advice. I will strongly consider the reduced
number of impacts to my head, and check it out.

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:13:53 GMT, "Bob Troll" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Although the KG7 was a fine board in it's day (I owned 2), sell it amd put a
>NF7s v2.0 in place of it. You'll beat your head against the wall a whole lot
>less.
>
>Regards, Bob Troll

Wes Newell

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:54:08 +0000, FreedWillie wrote:

> Gracious are the assumptions you draw of my ability to infer. Thank
> you. But let me put this another way.
>
> I'm a cellist and know more about dynamics of music than that of a
> motherboard/cpu.
>
> I have a KG-7 RAID with a 1400+ Athlon XP. I want to upgrade the
> processor for that motherboard to the point where the next processor
> up will not make the computer any faster (regardless of non-cpu
> factors such as memory speed). Therefore, I will buy an Athlon Z+ XP.
>
> Solve for Z.

Then I'd recommend you buy a new MB, CPU and ram to replace your older
system. Then sell your current MB/CPU/ram on ebay or somewhere.

If you want to stay cheap (and who doesn't) then I'd suggest a socket 754
MB with PC4000 ram and a socket 754 Sempron 3100+. This cpu will clock to
over 2.5GHz easily (from default 1.8GHz) and put it's performance up close
to that of the Athlon 64 3800+, 4000+, and faster than any overclocked
socket A cpu. Get a board with a PCI lock.

Wes Newell

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:54:08 +0000, FreedWillie wrote:

> I have a KG-7 RAID with a 1400+ Athlon XP. I want to upgrade the
> processor for that motherboard to the point where the next processor
> up will not make the computer any faster (regardless of non-cpu
> factors such as memory speed). Therefore, I will buy an Athlon Z+ XP.
>
> Solve for Z.

2400, 2400+ XP-M (Barton core mobile with 133MHz default FSB)

This board (actually chipset) is the most finicky board I can remember, so
be prepared to make bios adjustments with a new cpu.

andy

i have another pc with the kg7-raid it runs fine with a xp2400+ throughbred
"unlocked" cpu
as for others i dunno, possible i just set the multiplier setting to x13 and
above
bios reports it as a xp2400+ as does winxp

"FreedWillie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, I want to upgrade from a 1400+ Athlon XP. I've just gone through
> the group's history at Google Groups and I see a message from 2003
> claiming stable use of a 2400+ cpu in the KG-7.
>
> Is there anyone out there who has a faster processor on the KG-7
> currently?
>
> Alternatively, does anyone know the actual max speed of processor the
> board will handle?
>
> Strictly interpreting the manual, it would appear to support a future
> processor (beyond 2100+) that is 1) socket A and 2) 266 MHz FSB. If
> that is so, then the max processor supported is theoretically the
> Athlon XP 2800+ with fsb 266 Mhz.
>
> Is that correct, and does the KG-7 support it?
>
> Thanks to all in advance.
>
> Ed

FreedWillie

Thank you, I will do that.

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:54:36 GMT, Wes Newell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:54:08 +0000, FreedWillie wrote:
>
>> Gracious are the assumptions you draw of my ability to infer. Thank
>> you. But let me put this another way.
>>
>> I'm a cellist and know more about dynamics of music than that of a
>> motherboard/cpu.
>>
>> I have a KG-7 RAID with a 1400+ Athlon XP. I want to upgrade the
>> processor for that motherboard to the point where the next processor
>> up will not make the computer any faster (regardless of non-cpu
>> factors such as memory speed). Therefore, I will buy an Athlon Z+ XP.
>>
>> Solve for Z.
>>

>Then I'd recommend you buy a new MB, CPU and ram to replace your older
>system. Then sell your current MB/CPU/ram on ebay or somewhere.
>
>If you want to stay cheap (and who doesn't) then I'd suggest a socket 754
>MB with PC4000 ram and a socket 754 Sempron 3100+. This cpu will clock to
>over 2.5GHz easily (from default 1.8GHz) and put it's performance up close
>to that of the Athlon 64 3800+, 4000+, and faster than any overclocked
>socket A cpu. Get a board with a PCI lock.

Bob Troll

I reread the other poster's answers this evening and thought most of them to
be full of good ideas for various reasons. The sempron has been tested out
compared to my 2500xp+ mobile processors and in the real world mine do more
work for a given time period numbers being what they are and all that. We
run the machines 24/7 crunching seti packets.

I am waiting for what is beyond the amd 64 type processors and holding with
my socket A boards until then.

For bang for the buck I feel that my combination of Abit NF7S v2.0 board,
Swiftech MCX462-V heatsink coupled with a 90mm fan atop my 2500xp+ mobile
barton with 1 gb of 3200 crucial ram (2 x 512mb Dual Channel kit) does an
adequate job of running games, burning dvd's etc. All parts can be purchased
at newegg.com for example.

These processors are running at a clock speed of 202 x 11.5 at 1.6v setting
in bios 27. The vcore displays as 1.552v - 1.568 in abit eq as well as cpu-z
v.1.26. The ram is set at 2.7v in the bios setting with the volts showing up
as 2.84 in pc health page in bios. They run roughly equivalent to a amd
3500xp+ at a true fsb speed of 2331 mhz. They will run faster at higher
voltage but this seems to be a "sweet spot" for them, so I just leave them
run stably and there is less heat as well to contend with. They often run
for weeks without a reboot. In fact the only reason I reboot them is after
installs or updates. They run winxp pro.

The Kg7 has severe limitations for the clocking enthusiast, the biggest of
which I would say is the lack of locking the pci bus to 33mhz and agp at 66.
Again I am far from bad mouthing the KG7 as it was a true pioneer and the
forerunner of what we have today. It is a fine board but limited in it's
adjustability.

The Asus Intel boards with hyperthreading blow the NF7S out of the water for
real world productivity but they also cost more to build so budget concerns
set me in the amd direction.

In a few words these numbers being tossed around by some posters make me
want to puke at times. What I really want to know is how much work do they
get done in the time my machine takes doing the same work? That is the
question I ask most often. Numbers truly mean very little to me as you may
be able to tell.

Regards, Bob "hopelessly insane machine warrior" Troll