KG7-RAID help needed!

Hill

I have retired my KG7-RAID board to the status of second machine, fitted it
with a drive caddy and was successfully running it with two IDE drives; a
different OS on each. Drive one is a Samsung 12.9GB running Ubuntu 6.06,
and drive two was an IBM Deskstar 41GB running WinXP, like I say, all
running fine.

Following the acquisition of an 80GB SATA boot drive for my main system, I
wanted to replace the 41GB Deskstar with the 82.3GB Hitachi Deskstar
previously serving as boot/program file drive on my main system. This is
where the fun began.

Swapping the drives in the caddy was a brezze, but when I tried to boot with
the new XP drive in place it hung during the post at "Verifying DMI pool
data", yet would boot from the Linux drive ok.

I tried clearing the cmos, failsafe defaults, fdisk/mbr, and eventually
succeeded in getting to the stage where neither drive will boot past
"Verifying DMI pool data".

I've spent most of this morning dismantling and re-assembling the system,
I've tried both drives on both the IDE and RAID channels, and I've
downloaded and flashed the BIOS - twice! (it was already DM, but I thought I
might have corrupted it)

I'm now out of ideas and my A+ course stuff's not much help either, so I
must once more call upon the massed intellect of the users.

Has anyone any suggestions?

DroG

0_Qed

Hill wrote:

> I have retired my KG7-RAID board to the status of second machine, fitted it
> with a drive caddy and was successfully running it with two IDE drives; a
> different OS on each. Drive one is a Samsung 12.9GB running Ubuntu 6.06,
> and drive two was an IBM Deskstar 41GB running WinXP, like I say, all
> running fine.

Send it to 'me' .
Please.

> Following the acquisition of an 80GB SATA boot drive for my main system, I
> wanted to replace the 41GB Deskstar with the 82.3GB Hitachi Deskstar
> previously serving as boot/program file drive on my main system. This is
> where the fun began.

:-)

> Swapping the drives in the caddy was a brezze, but when I tried to boot with
> the new XP drive in place it hung during the post at "Verifying DMI pool
> data", yet would boot from the Linux drive ok.

Assumed rack/tray in your main system , maybe same in the KG&R.

You've run up against the "stored" DMI data pool ,
having once achieving a stable boot ,
and,
stored behind(usually) the bios code in your 'prom' .
"It" reflects the =old= CPU config of your =old= PC config ...
not the new one.
The DMI data pool can relect (?old?)existing card/devices/etc ,
well above the CMOS data.

The solution is to start with a =fresh= install of a =similar=
bios rev ...
it "effectively" zaps the stored DMA config , start a new.

Not much out there , on DMA "pools".

Just to be safe ,
I =store= a copy of a stable boot of my bios_prom ,
each 'new' PC config,
JIC.

Linus( I assume )
soon dispenes with a 'bios' ,
runs its own "bios" , and 'probe'.

W98 aughta close match the DMA pool , +\- , in your Reg.
XP is more exact, and much more critical.

I 'suspect' both PC suffer similar.

> I tried clearing the cmos, failsafe defaults, fdisk/mbr, and eventually
> succeeded in getting to the stage where neither drive will boot past
> "Verifying DMI pool data".

It can be 'done' ... getting to that stage.

Depending upon the 'goodness' of the bios code to "redo" a bummed
'config',
it can be toublesome , at best.
.. "adds" seem to work ... mostly ,
.. 'deletes' are questionable ,
.. 'add/drop' a bummer.

Start 'anew' .

> I've spent most of this morning dismantling and re-assembling the system,
> I've tried both drives on both the IDE and RAID channels, and I've
> downloaded and flashed the BIOS - twice! (it was already DM, but I thought I
> might have corrupted it)

Your 'mention' of reflash ...
aught to have 'done' it .
???

Send it to me. :-)
Pretty Please.

> I'm now out of ideas and my A+ course stuff's not much help either, so I
> must once more call upon the massed intellect of the users.
> Has anyone any suggestions?

Qed.

Amir Facade

You don't say if you were trying a fresh install of XP on the 82.3GB when
first installing it in the KG7 or if you were just trying to boot from the
OS you had on it in the original machine.
If you didn't reinstall XP on the drive when you first put it in the KG7 it
won't work because it was set up on the new machine.
Of course you could clone the 41GB onto the 82.3GB drive and that should
boot.
Amir

"Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:457c1af0$0$32027$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have retired my KG7-RAID board to the status of second machine, fitted it
> with a drive caddy and was successfully running it with two IDE drives; a
> different OS on each. Drive one is a Samsung 12.9GB running Ubuntu 6.06,
> and drive two was an IBM Deskstar 41GB running WinXP, like I say, all
> running fine.
>
> Following the acquisition of an 80GB SATA boot drive for my main system, I
> wanted to replace the 41GB Deskstar with the 82.3GB Hitachi Deskstar
> previously serving as boot/program file drive on my main system. This is
> where the fun began.
>
> Swapping the drives in the caddy was a brezze, but when I tried to boot
> with
> the new XP drive in place it hung during the post at "Verifying DMI pool
> data", yet would boot from the Linux drive ok.
>
> I tried clearing the cmos, failsafe defaults, fdisk/mbr, and eventually
> succeeded in getting to the stage where neither drive will boot past
> "Verifying DMI pool data".
>
> I've spent most of this morning dismantling and re-assembling the system,
> I've tried both drives on both the IDE and RAID channels, and I've
> downloaded and flashed the BIOS - twice! (it was already DM, but I thought
> might have corrupted it)
>
> I'm now out of ideas and my A+ course stuff's not much help either, so I
> must once more call upon the massed intellect of the users.
>
> Has anyone any suggestions?
>
> DroG

Amir Facade

My bad I hit the wrong button.
I should have replied to the group so we could get some more input.
I ve pasted your reply to me here and my answer to that reply.

> "Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:457c1af0$0$32027$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have retired my KG7-RAID board to the status of second machine, fitted
>>it
>> with a drive caddy and was successfully running it with two IDE drives; a
>> different OS on each. Drive one is a Samsung 12.9GB running Ubuntu 6.06,
>> and drive two was an IBM Deskstar 41GB running WinXP, like I say, all
>> running fine.
>>
>> Following the acquisition of an 80GB SATA boot drive for my main system,
>> wanted to replace the 41GB Deskstar with the 82.3GB Hitachi Deskstar
>> previously serving as boot/program file drive on my main system. This is
>> where the fun began.
>>
>> Swapping the drives in the caddy was a brezze, but when I tried to boot
>> with
>> the new XP drive in place it hung during the post at "Verifying DMI pool
>> data", yet would boot from the Linux drive ok.
>>
>> I tried clearing the cmos, failsafe defaults, fdisk/mbr, and eventually
>> succeeded in getting to the stage where neither drive will boot past
>> "Verifying DMI pool data".
>>
>> I've spent most of this morning dismantling and re-assembling the system,
>> I've tried both drives on both the IDE and RAID channels, and I've
>> downloaded and flashed the BIOS - twice! (it was already DM, but I
>> thought I
>> might have corrupted it)
>>
>> I'm now out of ideas and my A+ course stuff's not much help either, so I
>> must once more call upon the massed intellect of the users.
>>
>> Has anyone any suggestions?
>>
>> DroG

Subject: Re: KG7-RAID help needed!

"Amir Facade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You don't say if you were trying a fresh install of XP on the 82.3GB when
> first installing it in the KG7 or if you were just trying to boot from the
> OS you had on it in the original machine.
> If you didn't reinstall XP on the drive when you first put it in the KG7
> it
> won't work because it was set up on the new machine.
> Of course you could clone the 41GB onto the 82.3GB drive and that should
> boot.
> Amir

Hi Amir,

I was just trying to boot the Os I had on the original. I think I see your
point, but how does that explain the fact that my unchanged Linux Drive is
now exhibiting the same behaviour? Would a fresh install of XP onto the
80GB drive work? Would it cure the problem with the Linux drive?

I'm just going to put the 40GB drive back and see if that will boot now, or
if I've snafu'd the whole system.

Regards,
DroG

Sorry, I must have read your original post wrong when you said that the
Linux drive worked OK.
Pull everything from the motherboard and reinsert.
Sometimes on the older systems you get just a little bit of corrosion on a
connector and it shuts down the whole thing.
A hard drive with an OS that was installed while the drive was in another
system will never boot up without difficulty unless of course you have the
exact same components installed. Most times it won't boot at all unless you
do at least a repair install of the OS.

Amir

Hill

> I was just trying to boot the Os I had on the original. I think I see
your
> point, but how does that explain the fact that my unchanged Linux Drive is
> now exhibiting the same behaviour? Would a fresh install of XP onto the
> 80GB drive work? Would it cure the problem with the Linux drive?
>
> I'm just going to put the 40GB drive back and see if that will boot now,

or
> if I've snafu'd the whole system.
>
> Regards,
> DroG
>

> Sorry, I must have read your original post wrong when you said that the
> Linux drive worked OK.
> Pull everything from the motherboard and reinsert.
> Sometimes on the older systems you get just a little bit of corrosion on a
> connector and it shuts down the whole thing.
> A hard drive with an OS that was installed while the drive was in another
> system will never boot up without difficulty unless of course you have the
> exact same components installed. Most times it won't boot at all unless

you
> do at least a repair install of the OS.
>
> Amir

Well, the 40GB (XP) drive boots ok, the Linux drive starts to load GRUB then
re-boots, and goes round in a loop. Will try a fresh install of XP on the
80GB drive and see if that works. Anyone got any ideas how to rescue my
Ubuntu Linux drive?

DroG

cerco di comprare casa help help help help LOVEART Gateway 0 10-08-2005 01:33 PM
Help Help Help Help Help help me Hardware 0 07-11-2004 11:15 AM
HELP,HELP,HELP ToMi ATI 3 02-05-2004 11:53 PM
Help! Help! Help! sogs IBM 3 01-30-2004 03:05 AM
help! help! help! urgent! Jones Asus 1 12-08-2003 04:53 AM