KG7 RAID No sound and noisy northbridge fan

0_Qed

ATK wrote:
> I've had this for 2/3 years and it is now passing to my wife.
> I have never used sound and now find I can't activate it: is there something
> so obvious that I am missing it?

:-)
Not sure 'sound' was ever "there" ... or was 'it' ??
Nah, dont think so.
But ... maybe.

I liked =that= one ...
:-)
If I could 'eat' mine, I'd "pass" it to the "X".

> Also, fan is noisy and local shop doesn't stock replacement. How to I
> lubricate (or whatever) this fan until I get replacement.

There aughta be a small, circular 'sticky' label centered atop the fan,
"Start"(lift) an edge ... xacto knife/pin/needle ? ,
remove intact, use a toothpick with 1/4 'drop'
=sewing= machine oil to lube the bbg(a bushing, not a ball).
=Replace= intact label.
Repeat when noizy.

ATK

I've had this for 2/3 years and it is now passing to my wife.
I have never used sound and now find I can't activate it: is there something
so obvious that I am missing it?

Also, fan is noisy and local shop doesn't stock replacement. How to I
lubricate (or whatever) this fan until I get replacement.

Help please.

TomG

you can usually raise a label on the fan to get some light machine oil down
into the fan. my experience is that if you use too heavy an oil, the fan
may not start in cooler temperatures.

as for the onboard sound, you will need to provide some additional
information... have you enabled it in the bios? does any sound device show
in the device manager?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"ATK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41a321f7$0$1071$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've had this for 2/3 years and it is now passing to my wife.
> I have never used sound and now find I can't activate it: is there
> something
> so obvious that I am missing it?
>
> Also, fan is noisy and local shop doesn't stock replacement. How to I
> lubricate (or whatever) this fan until I get replacement.
>
> Help please.

Richard Hopkins

"ATK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41a321f7$0$1071$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've had this for 2/3 years and it is now passing to my wife.
> I have never used sound and now find I can't activate it: is there
> something so obvious that I am missing it?

Erm, well, yes, there quite possibly is something really obvious, but
without telling us what you've done and what the exact nature of the problem
is, it's not like we can offer any advice. You want to throw us a bone?

Knowing whether you've activated the audio controller in the BIOS, knowing
whether it appears in the POST component summary screen, and whether or not
Windows attempted to plug and play it after you (presumably) activated the
controller would all be a help.

> Also, fan is noisy and local shop doesn't stock replacement. How to
> I lubricate (or whatever) this fan until I get replacement.

Remove the fan from the heatsink, peel back or remove the label on its
reverse side and put a drop of light oil in there. Three in One or similar
multipurpose oil, or something a touch thicker will do. WD40 and similar is
too light.

> Help please.

If you want us to help you, you're going to have to learn that we're not
telepathic.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

ATK

I can find no mention of it in BIOS.
Experimentally I have just moved it to another PCI slot. W98SE immediately
picked it up as a CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device and called for the W98 Disk.
No problems with instal.
Device manager under PCI heading correctly shows drivers (10), everything in
order and no conflicts - likewise with the game port.
The backplate shows (from top), mic-in, line-in, front-out, back-out.
Is there any sound I can generate to test.
Speakers are built in to a new Medion flat screen and are turned on.
However, just in case, I have also tried other speakers.
I can try another sound card but I am quite sure it's the MB. Where should I
find reference in the BIOS?
Thanks for the tip on oiling.

Richard Hopkins wrote:
> "ATK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41a321f7$0$1071$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've had this for 2/3 years and it is now passing to my wife.
>> I have never used sound and now find I can't activate it: is there
>> something so obvious that I am missing it?

> Erm, well, yes, there quite possibly is something really obvious, but
> without telling us what you've done and what the exact nature of the
> problem is, it's not like we can offer any advice. You want to throw
> us a bone?
>
> Knowing whether you've activated the audio controller in the BIOS,
> knowing whether it appears in the POST component summary screen, and
> whether or not Windows attempted to plug and play it after you
> (presumably) activated the controller would all be a help.
>
>> Also, fan is noisy and local shop doesn't stock replacement. How to
>> I lubricate (or whatever) this fan until I get replacement.

> Remove the fan from the heatsink, peel back or remove the label on its
> reverse side and put a drop of light oil in there. Three in One or
> similar multipurpose oil, or something a touch thicker will do. WD40
> and similar is too light.
>
>> Help please.

> If you want us to help you, you're going to have to learn that we're
> not telepathic.

Russ

windows 98???? what's that??? hehehe....

--
Russ

Visit Alaska @ http://www.tannersacre.com

"ATK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41a36966$0$1069$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I can find no mention of it in BIOS.
> Experimentally I have just moved it to another PCI slot. W98SE immediately
> picked it up as a CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device and called for the W98

Disk.
> No problems with instal.
> Device manager under PCI heading correctly shows drivers (10), everything

in
> order and no conflicts - likewise with the game port.
> The backplate shows (from top), mic-in, line-in, front-out, back-out.
> Is there any sound I can generate to test.
> Speakers are built in to a new Medion flat screen and are turned on.
> However, just in case, I have also tried other speakers.
> I can try another sound card but I am quite sure it's the MB. Where should

> find reference in the BIOS?
> Thanks for the tip on oiling.
>
> Richard Hopkins wrote:
> > "ATK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:41a321f7$0$1071$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I've had this for 2/3 years and it is now passing to my wife.
> >> I have never used sound and now find I can't activate it: is there
> >> something so obvious that I am missing it?

> > Erm, well, yes, there quite possibly is something really obvious, but
> > without telling us what you've done and what the exact nature of the
> > problem is, it's not like we can offer any advice. You want to throw
> > us a bone?
> >
> > Knowing whether you've activated the audio controller in the BIOS,
> > knowing whether it appears in the POST component summary screen, and
> > whether or not Windows attempted to plug and play it after you
> > (presumably) activated the controller would all be a help.
> >
> >> Also, fan is noisy and local shop doesn't stock replacement. How to
> >> I lubricate (or whatever) this fan until I get replacement.

> > Remove the fan from the heatsink, peel back or remove the label on its
> > reverse side and put a drop of light oil in there. Three in One or
> > similar multipurpose oil, or something a touch thicker will do. WD40
> > and similar is too light.
> >
> >> Help please.

> > If you want us to help you, you're going to have to learn that we're
> > not telepathic.

TomG

you may have a good point there... not sure that board *did* have onboard
sound!

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"0_Qed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ATK wrote:
>> I've had this for 2/3 years and it is now passing to my wife.
>> I have never used sound and now find I can't activate it: is there
>> something
>> so obvious that I am missing it?

> :-)
> Not sure 'sound' was ever "there" ... or was 'it' ??
> Nah, dont think so.
> But ... maybe.
>
> I liked =that= one ...
> :-)
> If I could 'eat' mine, I'd "pass" it to the "X".
>

>> Also, fan is noisy and local shop doesn't stock replacement. How to I
>> lubricate (or whatever) this fan until I get replacement.

> There aughta be a small, circular 'sticky' label centered atop the fan,
> "Start"(lift) an edge ... xacto knife/pin/needle ? ,
> remove intact, use a toothpick with 1/4 'drop'
> =sewing= machine oil to lube the bbg(a bushing, not a ball).
> =Replace= intact label.
> Repeat when noizy.

TomG

you won't find a reference to the add-in sound card in the main board
bios... you would only fine a reference in the bios if there were and
integrated, onboard sound chip.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"ATK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41a36966$0$1069$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can find no mention of it in BIOS.
> Experimentally I have just moved it to another PCI slot. W98SE immediately
> picked it up as a CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device and called for the W98
> Disk.
> No problems with instal.
> Device manager under PCI heading correctly shows drivers (10), everything
> in
> order and no conflicts - likewise with the game port.
> The backplate shows (from top), mic-in, line-in, front-out, back-out.
> Is there any sound I can generate to test.
> Speakers are built in to a new Medion flat screen and are turned on.
> However, just in case, I have also tried other speakers.
> I can try another sound card but I am quite sure it's the MB. Where should
> find reference in the BIOS?
> Thanks for the tip on oiling.
>
> Richard Hopkins wrote:
>> "ATK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:41a321f7$0$1071$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've had this for 2/3 years and it is now passing to my wife.
>>> I have never used sound and now find I can't activate it: is there
>>> something so obvious that I am missing it?

>> Erm, well, yes, there quite possibly is something really obvious, but
>> without telling us what you've done and what the exact nature of the
>> problem is, it's not like we can offer any advice. You want to throw
>> us a bone?
>>
>> Knowing whether you've activated the audio controller in the BIOS,
>> knowing whether it appears in the POST component summary screen, and
>> whether or not Windows attempted to plug and play it after you
>> (presumably) activated the controller would all be a help.
>>
>>> Also, fan is noisy and local shop doesn't stock replacement. How to
>>> I lubricate (or whatever) this fan until I get replacement.

>> Remove the fan from the heatsink, peel back or remove the label on its
>> reverse side and put a drop of light oil in there. Three in One or
>> similar multipurpose oil, or something a touch thicker will do. WD40
>> and similar is too light.
>>
>>> Help please.

>> If you want us to help you, you're going to have to learn that we're
>> not telepathic.

Richard Hopkins

"ATK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
>I can find no mention of it in BIOS.

Well, that's hardly surprising is it? If you expect us to help you you're
going to have to tell us the full facts up front, not **** us about with
half the story. Why didn't you tell us beforehand you were talking about a
standalone PCI soundcard? Seeing as you didn't mention this at all, we
assumed with all this talk of "activating" it that you were talking about an
onboard sound codec.

> Device manager under PCI heading correctly shows drivers (10), everything
> in order and no conflicts - likewise with the game port.

Right, so what's the problem then, no noise coming out?

> The backplate shows (from top), mic-in, line-in, front-out, back-out.

Are we supposed to guess what make it is from that? Why don't you tell us?

> Is there any sound I can generate to test.

You know far better than we do what sound files are on *your* PC. Search for
some .wav files and click on them. With a bit of luck Windows Media Player
(or similar) will pop up and try and play them.

> I can try another sound card but I am quite sure it's the MB.

If Device Manager isn't reporting any conflicts or driver errors, and there
aren't any crashes when you try and play a sound, it's definitely not the
motherboard.

> Where should I find reference in the BIOS?

You won't if it's a PCI soundcard. Check the sound mixer applet to see if
the volume's down or muted, and make certain you've got the speakers
corrected to the right output.