Kingston RAM on AN50R

DONTSPAMMEnfteblj@gmail.com

I've been using my AN50R for a long time with a single Kingston
KVR400X64C3A/512 installed. It's worked fine, no problems.

My Visual Studio project demands more memory, so I purchased a
KVR400X64C3A/1G, since it shows up on the Kingston list for this
motherboard. Hopefully, it would get along well with it's "little"
brother as well.

The 512 is in slot1, 1G in slot 2, and the bios recognizes the ram, but
I get blue screens and "memory could not be 'read'" errors like crazy
with the 1G module installed. I pulled my 512, putting the 1G in slot
1, and I get the same results. Running with only the 512, everything is
fine.

Has anyone ran into this before? Kingston usually makes a decent
product... did I get a bad module?

As a bit of an aside, the memory module says it works at 2.6V, but the
options in the AN50R Bios provide the following settings=Auto, 2.7V,
2.8V, 2.9V. The chip specs say it has a tolerance of +/- .1V, so I'm
sure 2.7V is fine, but is this the right setting?

Thanks,
Bryan

William Scott

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I've been using my AN50R for a long time with a single Kingston
> KVR400X64C3A/512 installed. It's worked fine, no problems.
>
> My Visual Studio project demands more memory, so I purchased a
> KVR400X64C3A/1G, since it shows up on the Kingston list for this
> motherboard. Hopefully, it would get along well with it's "little"
> brother as well.
>
> The 512 is in slot1, 1G in slot 2, and the bios recognizes the ram, but
> I get blue screens and "memory could not be 'read'" errors like crazy
> with the 1G module installed. I pulled my 512, putting the 1G in slot
> 1, and I get the same results. Running with only the 512, everything is
> fine.
>
> Has anyone ran into this before? Kingston usually makes a decent
> product... did I get a bad module?
>
> As a bit of an aside, the memory module says it works at 2.6V, but the
> options in the AN50R Bios provide the following settings=Auto, 2.7V,
> 2.8V, 2.9V. The chip specs say it has a tolerance of +/- .1V, so I'm
> sure 2.7V is fine, but is this the right setting?
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Boot with a Linux LiveCD and do a memtest86.

DONTSPAMMEnfteblj@gmail.com

As a follow up to this, I took the memory back and exchanged it for
another (same part#). It works fine.

Interesting to note, if I put the 512M in bank0 and the 1G in bank1,
the 1G is not recognized by bios. If I put the 1G in bank0 and the
512M in bank1, the system recognizes 1.5G. This isn't really mentioned
in the hardware specs for the mobo, but I could be wrong.

an50r problem elrod Asus 0 12-01-2004 04:09 PM
AN50R SATA disks don't work Jon Shuttle 0 04-18-2004 08:50 PM
Kingston PC133 256 MiB SD RAM with Abit BH6 1.0 Bud Graziano Abit 2 01-05-2004 12:51 PM
Re: p4p800 Deluxe: Should I get Kingston Value RAM or Hyper X DDR? Cliff Asus 0 08-05-2003 10:59 PM
Repost: A7N8X DX (Kingston RAM Q) Ron Asus 10 08-02-2003 01:07 PM