KN1 SLI Extreme Won't Power On - well sometimes!

ryan@fallawake.net

I have a new build I'm doing and I can't get the KN1 SLI Extreme mobo t
power on. I've tried using a 400 watt and 420 watt power supplies wit
24 pin connectors onto the board. The NIC lights light up but I can'
get the fans to spin or anything else to do anthing. I don't have an
drives or anything installed besides the two 1GB Patriot DDR400 stick
and an AMD XP 3400 CPU.

The weird thing is when I hook up an hold 350 watt 20 pin (not 24 pin
I can get the mobo to boot up although since I don't have the vide
card installed I don't know if it will post. But I don't really wan
it too since 350 watts probably won't handle what I'll be doing wit
it

--
(E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed)'s Profile: http://www.highdots.net/m8

Eric Wolfe

"(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a new build I'm doing and I can't get the KN1 SLI Extreme mobo to
> power on. I've tried using a 400 watt and 420 watt power supplies with
> 24 pin connectors onto the board. The NIC lights light up but I can't
> get the fans to spin or anything else to do anthing. I don't have any
> drives or anything installed besides the two 1GB Patriot DDR400 sticks
> and an AMD XP 3400 CPU.
>
> The weird thing is when I hook up an hold 350 watt 20 pin (not 24 pin)
> I can get the mobo to boot up although since I don't have the video
> card installed I don't know if it will post. But I don't really want
> it too since 350 watts probably won't handle what I'll be doing with
> it.

Are you testing the board in or out of the case?

--
Eric

> --
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (E-Mail Removed)'s Profile: http://www.highdots.net/m86
> View this thread: http://www.highdots.net/t173768

Kawosa

(E-Mail Removed) <ryanfallawake.net.23hn1z@no-
mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in news:ryanfallawake.net.23hn1z@no-
mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au:

> AMD XP 3400 CPU

Are you sure that the Barton CPU is compatable?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0607-2, 02/16/2006
Tested on: 2/19/2006 7:41:32 PM

ryan@fallawake.net

I'm testing it in the case. According to the ECS website the 3400 i
supported. This is driving me nuts

--
(E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed)'s Profile: http://www.highdots.net/m8
View this thread: http://www.highdots.net/t17376

ryan@fallawake.net

The ECS KN1 SLI Extreme supports

Athlon 64 3200+ (Rev.E6) 3200+ (512KB,1000 MHz,939) YES
Athlon 64 3200+ (Rev.E4) 3200+ (512KB,,939) YES
Athlon 64 3200+ (Rev.E3) 3200+ (512KB,1000 MHz,939) YES
Athlon 64 3200+ (Rev.D0) 3200+ (512KB,1000 MHz,939) YES
Athlon 64 3200+ (Rev.CG) 3200+ (512KB,1000 MHz,939) YES

How do I tell if the above are in fact the Venice version that I have

--
(E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed)'s Profile: http://www.highdots.net/m8
View this thread: http://www.highdots.net/t17376

ryan@fallawake.net

Here are my specs in case this helps.

ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Cas
420W Power Supply

ECS KN1 SLI Extreme (1.0A) Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD

POWERCOLOR R37L-SC3D Radeon X300SE HyperMemory 256MB Hyper Memory(128
VRAM on board) DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model

Patriot Signature 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200
Unbuffered System Memory

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HD

BenQ Black ATA/ATAPI DVD Burner With LightScribe Model DW1655 - OE

--
(E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed)'s Profile: http://www.highdots.net/m8
View this thread: http://www.highdots.net/t17376

Eric Wolfe

My only suggestion is to try running it outside the case. For reasons I've
yet to understand, that's how I got my NFORCE3-A rolling. Something's
touching somewhere but I can't seem to see where - it might even be touching
inside the powersupply. Even more strange is that an old Asus P5A 300Mhz
is working inside the same case the NFORCE3-A will only work outside of.
Do you mount your motherboards with metal standoffs all the way around?

--
Eric
"(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Here are my specs in case this helps.
>
> ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
> 420W Power Supply
>
> ECS KN1 SLI Extreme (1.0A) Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD
>
> POWERCOLOR R37L-SC3D Radeon X300SE HyperMemory 256MB Hyper Memory(128M
> VRAM on board) DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card
>
> AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model
>
> Patriot Signature 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
> Unbuffered System Memory
>
> Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HD
>
> BenQ Black ATA/ATAPI DVD Burner With LightScribe Model DW1655 - OEM
>

> --
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (E-Mail Removed)'s Profile: http://www.highdots.net/m86
> View this thread: http://www.highdots.net/t173768

ryan@fallawake.net

Dude, you nailed it!!! Somewhere the mobo was touching, something
somewhere. I realligned it and boom it powered up just fine!!! I'

Thanks!!

--
(E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed)'s Profile: http://www.highdots.net/m8
View this thread: http://www.highdots.net/t17376

Eric Wolfe

You're welcome. It's nice to be right sometimes. I was even hesitant to
post the suggestion because it seemed so unlikely, but since I had just been
bitten, I figured it was worth the shot. I just hope it was really that
problem and it's not just fooling you with some other intermittent factor.
My problem had me stumped for quite a while. I still haven't gotten back to
it. I put an old board in the problem case and planned to buy a new one for
the NFORCE3-A, just in case.

Just take comfort in the fact that in the old days of clone MB's, a short to
ground would have fried the board. Now it just triggers a polyfuse and the
machine shuts down.

--
Eric

"(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Dude, you nailed it!!! Somewhere the mobo was touching, something,
> somewhere. I realligned it and boom it powered up just fine!!! I'm
>
> Thanks!!!
>

> --
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (E-Mail Removed)'s Profile: http://www.highdots.net/m86
> View this thread: http://www.highdots.net/t173768

Need Help with NVRAID Setup on ECS KN1 Extreme krzyray@gmail.com ECS 2 05-03-2006 11:04 PM
I'm Really Surprised the KN1 SLI Extreme BowTie ECS 4 10-10-2005 01:40 AM
KN1 Extreme SATA question troy ECS 1 09-11-2005 07:44 PM
ECS KN1 Extreme - Only hearing sound from 2 Speakers (I have 4 speakers and a sub) krzyray@gmail.com ECS 0 04-11-2005 11:46 PM
Be well! Be well! Be well!Be well! Be well! Be well!Be well! Be well! Be well! Be well! Be well! Be well!Be well! Be well! Be well!Be well! Be well! Be well! Embedded 0 03-07-2005 09:59 AM