Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Koolance blue liquid?

 
 
mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2006, 04:31 AM
What is this liquid, can I just use something else like water to top of?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2006, 08:56 AM
mark wrote:
> What is this liquid, can I just use something else like water to top of?
>
>


The MSDS (material safety) file is here. Unzip to find a PDF:

http://www.koolance.com/support/file...q600-700bu.zip

The 3% by weight which is unidentified, is likely the blue color
added to the fluid.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2006, 11:43 PM
so can I use the green car coolent?
"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eiupt2$2u4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> mark wrote:
>> What is this liquid, can I just use something else like water to top of?
>>
>>

>
> The MSDS (material safety) file is here. Unzip to find a PDF:
>
> http://www.koolance.com/support/file...q600-700bu.zip
>
> The 3% by weight which is unidentified, is likely the blue color
> added to the fluid.
>
> Paul



 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2006, 02:37 AM
mark wrote:
> so can I use the green car coolent?
> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eiupt2$2u4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> mark wrote:
>>> What is this liquid, can I just use something else like water to top of?
>>>
>>>

>> The MSDS (material safety) file is here. Unzip to find a PDF:
>>
>> http://www.koolance.com/support/file...q600-700bu.zip
>>
>> The 3% by weight which is unidentified, is likely the blue color
>> added to the fluid.
>>
>> Paul

>
>


If some of the water evaporated, you could top it up with distilled
water (my hardware store carries jugs of distilled water, for mixing up with
car antifreeze). Distilled water is good, because it doesn't have a
mineral content like some tap water. Meaning less stuff that can corrode
any parts that are susceptible to corrosion.

If you spilled the coolant (meaning equal quantities of water
and ethylene glycol escaped), then logically you'd want to
replace both of them. I guess the question I would be asking,
is what property of ethylene glycol is indispensible to
computer cooling ? In a car, ethylene glycol raises the
boiling point of the coolant, which means lower operating
pressure in the cooling system for a given temperature. But
you would hope the computer is not about to boil the coolant,
or cause the plumbing to be pressurized. So I don't see what
advantage the 30% ethylene glycol is having. Maybe it kills
bacteria or something ? I don't really know. I suppose
by lowering the partial pressure of water vapor, it could
be reducing the rate of evaporation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_Glycol

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2006, 02:52 AM
In article <ej0o2t$dv8$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
>

<nsip>
>
> If you spilled the coolant (meaning equal quantities of water
> and ethylene glycol escaped), then logically you'd want to
> replace both of them. I guess the question I would be asking,
> is what property of ethylene glycol is indispensible to
> computer cooling ? In a car, ethylene glycol raises the
> boiling point of the coolant, which means lower operating
> pressure in the cooling system for a given temperature.

<snip>

A secondary property of ethylene glycol in an automobile cooling
system is to lubricate the water pump.

>
> Paul
>


Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.
 
Reply With Quote
 
jt3
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Also to reduce corrosion, esp. if Al is present, but Fe also. As Paul
suggests, it does indeed lower the vapor pressure of the mix, causing less
evaporation.

Joe
"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MPG.1fbd8965c3c93e8f98972b@localhost...
> In article <ej0o2t$dv8$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> >

> <nsip>
> >
> > If you spilled the coolant (meaning equal quantities of water
> > and ethylene glycol escaped), then logically you'd want to
> > replace both of them. I guess the question I would be asking,
> > is what property of ethylene glycol is indispensible to
> > computer cooling ? In a car, ethylene glycol raises the
> > boiling point of the coolant, which means lower operating
> > pressure in the cooling system for a given temperature.

> <snip>
>
> A secondary property of ethylene glycol in an automobile cooling
> system is to lubricate the water pump.
>
> >
> > Paul
> >

>
> Bill
> --
> Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble installing Panther in a B/W B&W Blue and White Blue&White Blue & White G3 MaddMannMatt Apple 1 11-19-2004 11:47 PM
Geforce FX 5200 128MB Blue Screen (White is blue) Wildbill Nvidia 3 04-14-2004 05:40 AM
Koolance Exos Max Harrell AMD Overclocking 1 04-08-2004 02:57 AM
Re: Corsair Hydrocool vs Koolance Exos James Paraskeva AMD Thunderbird 1 08-28-2003 01:15 PM
Re: Corsair Hydrocool vs Koolance Exos James Paraskeva AMD Overclocking 0 08-28-2003 11:04 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment