KT3 Ultra 2 266 to 333?

Les &/or Claire

Hi All!
Well, I'm sat here with a KT3 Ultra 2 aru with an Athlon XP 2400+ and 512Mb
of PC 2700 ram. Now, with the prices dropping of the 333fsb chips I'm
thinking of upgrading my current cpu to take advantage of the 333 fsb on the
board. Also, I just got another KT3 Ultra 2 to build a business machine for
my partner. So old cpu has a home and I have to get some kind of cpu anyway.
May as well be a step up for me and pass down the 2400+ to my partners
machine. What sort of performance increase am I looking at if I went for the
AMD XP2600 Barton [1.91,512,333]OEM, and what would be the advantages of the
Barton be over the AMD AthlonXP 2500 [1.83GHZ 333] OEM.
Is it time to do this or would you wait a while... any and all
opinions
gratefully received!

Cheers all...... Les

Robert Akins

I too have a KT3 Ultra2 (non-ARU); I just upgraded from an XP 2000+ Palomino
(1.66GHz, 266 FSB) to an XP-M 2400+ Barton mobile processor (2.25GHz, 333
FSB) and it works great. The Barton mobile CPUs originally ran at 266MHz
FSB but run at 333MHz FSB all day long with no problems; it's a drop-in
upgrade (of course, you have to change the FSB in the BIOS). I don't have
any numbers for comparison but I am very pleased for $75 investment (plus
HSF but I could have probably kept using the 2000+ HSF). I am using a 512MB
stick of Kingston PC2700 DDR and will go to 1GB when I find another stick on
sale. I am also still using my original 350W power supply. If you wanted
to spend a little more money ($100) you could go up to an XP-M 2600+ Barton,
and at 333MHz FSB have the equivalent of the 3000+. Search on eBay for XP-M
or Athlon mobile CPU. If you haven't already, update your BIOS to the 5.7
version before swapping CPUs. The Barton has a larger cache so at the same
MHz it will perform significantly better than the T'Bred.
Robert
"Les &/or Claire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All!
> Well, I'm sat here with a KT3 Ultra 2 aru with an Athlon XP 2400+ and

512Mb
> of PC 2700 ram. Now, with the prices dropping of the 333fsb chips I'm
> thinking of upgrading my current cpu to take advantage of the 333 fsb on

the
> board. Also, I just got another KT3 Ultra 2 to build a business machine

for
> my partner. So old cpu has a home and I have to get some kind of cpu

anyway.
> May as well be a step up for me and pass down the 2400+ to my partners
> machine. What sort of performance increase am I looking at if I went for

the
> AMD XP2600 Barton [1.91,512,333]OEM, and what would be the advantages of

the
> Barton be over the AMD AthlonXP 2500 [1.83GHZ 333] OEM.
> Is it time to do this or would you wait a while... any and all
> opinions
> gratefully received!
>
> Cheers all...... Les

Les &/or Claire

Thanks Robert! Sorry i missed your reply for so long... that was just the
info i was looking for )

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to Reply

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

"Why of course the people don't want war. But after all, it is the
leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a
simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or
a fascist dictatorship, Voice or no voice, the people can always be
brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to
do is to tell them that they are being attacked, and denounce the
pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."

-Herman Goering,
Hiltler's designated successor

http://www.stuffmongers.com/

"Robert Akins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I too have a KT3 Ultra2 (non-ARU); I just upgraded from an XP 2000+
>Palomino
> (1.66GHz, 266 FSB) to an XP-M 2400+ Barton mobile processor (2.25GHz, 333
> FSB) and it works great. The Barton mobile CPUs originally ran at 266MHz
> FSB but run at 333MHz FSB all day long with no problems; it's a drop-in
> upgrade (of course, you have to change the FSB in the BIOS). I don't have
> any numbers for comparison but I am very pleased for $75 investment (plus
> HSF but I could have probably kept using the 2000+ HSF). I am using a
> 512MB
> stick of Kingston PC2700 DDR and will go to 1GB when I find another stick
> on
> sale. I am also still using my original 350W power supply. If you wanted
> to spend a little more money ($100) you could go up to an XP-M 2600+
> Barton,
> and at 333MHz FSB have the equivalent of the 3000+. Search on eBay for
> XP-M
> or Athlon mobile CPU. If you haven't already, update your BIOS to the 5.7
> version before swapping CPUs. The Barton has a larger cache so at the
> same
> MHz it will perform significantly better than the T'Bred.
> Robert
> "Les &/or Claire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi All!
>> Well, I'm sat here with a KT3 Ultra 2 aru with an Athlon XP 2400+ and

> 512Mb
>> of PC 2700 ram. Now, with the prices dropping of the 333fsb chips I'm
>> thinking of upgrading my current cpu to take advantage of the 333 fsb on

> the
>> board. Also, I just got another KT3 Ultra 2 to build a business machine

> for
>> my partner. So old cpu has a home and I have to get some kind of cpu

> anyway.
>> May as well be a step up for me and pass down the 2400+ to my partners
>> machine. What sort of performance increase am I looking at if I went for

> the
>> AMD XP2600 Barton [1.91,512,333]OEM, and what would be the advantages of

> the
>> Barton be over the AMD AthlonXP 2500 [1.83GHZ 333] OEM.
>> Is it time to do this or would you wait a while... any and all
>> opinions
>> gratefully received!
>>
>> Cheers all...... Les

SOYO KT333 Dragon Ultra Black and Athlon XP2600 (266) UPGRADE Nick Funk Soyo 0 12-18-2003 02:11 PM
Re: Chipset Fan Replacement For KT3 Ultra-ARU C. Stuart McKendrick, III MSI 0 07-01-2003 11:50 PM
Re: kt3 ultra latest bios.OT Sahmadi MSI 0 07-01-2003 03:17 PM
Re: kt3 ultra latest bios.OT GGA MSI 0 07-01-2003 12:35 PM
KT3 Ultra ARU IDE Headache (Help!) Andrew MSI 2 06-26-2003 05:36 AM