kt400 ultra palntinum w/ amd 3000+ won't install OS, BSOD

kjs80

I have been having a real hard time with my KT400 dragon ultra
plantinum board ever since I upgraded my cpu to an Athlon 3000+. My old
cpu was an 1800+ which I never had a problem with. Ever since I put in
this new chip I have been getting bsod's during the Win XP install. I
was getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL but I seemed to have cured that
by updating the bios and raid drivers. Now when the windows install
starts to copies files to the hard drive I get a bsod that says it had
a problem with the ntfs.sys file. I have tried everthing to try and
solve this problem. Differnt mem, video card, hard drives, removed all
the hardware....noting seems to work. Everything is configured
correctly according to the manual. I tested the cpu in another board
and it runs OK. Does anyone know what is wrong here? What am I
missing?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

JoshIII

Boot from Windows XP CD to the Recovery Console, then run:

chkdsk /p (it will usually say found one or more errors on the disk)

then run:

chkdsk /r (it will probably find and repair errors. If it finds
"unrecoverable errors" its time to reformat Hard Drive)

If your still can't boot from the Hard Drive, then:

Set BIOS to boot from the XP CD. If you have an Upgrade CD, choose "Install
Operarting System", then choose "Repair existing Operating System" from the
Windows Setup (Blue Text Screen).

This will repair the operating system to the level of revisions from the CD
(SP1 or SP2, etc.). All your applications should still work however. You
will not need to reinstall any of your applications.

Then to get your computer back to SP2, its no problem because Windows XP
saves SP2 on the hard drive from the first installion.

Hope this helps!

JoshIII
upstate south carolina

"kjs80" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have been having a real hard time with my KT400 dragon ultra
> plantinum board ever since I upgraded my cpu to an Athlon 3000+. My old
> cpu was an 1800+ which I never had a problem with. Ever since I put in
> this new chip I have been getting bsod's during the Win XP install. I
> was getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL but I seemed to have cured that
> by updating the bios and raid drivers. Now when the windows install
> starts to copies files to the hard drive I get a bsod that says it had
> a problem with the ntfs.sys file. I have tried everthing to try and
> solve this problem. Differnt mem, video card, hard drives, removed all
> the hardware....noting seems to work. Everything is configured
> correctly according to the manual. I tested the cpu in another board
> and it runs OK. Does anyone know what is wrong here? What am I
> missing?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Andrew K

I just installed am Athlon XP 3000+ into my Dragon Ultra Platinum KT400. The
system ran just fine with the newest BIOS upgrade and my old Athlon XP
2100+, 512 MB of Kingston DDR 333. As soon as the 3000+ went in, the system
became very unstable with random reboots and some of the reboots froze
midway. In the end, it would not boot at all. I felt it was due to improper
frequency/timing settings in the BIOS setup but I decided to go back to the
old CPU temporarily. The system works fine now as it did before. I'll give
it another go when I'm feeling lucky.

"kjs80" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have been having a real hard time with my KT400 dragon ultra
> plantinum board ever since I upgraded my cpu to an Athlon 3000+. My old
> cpu was an 1800+ which I never had a problem with. Ever since I put in
> this new chip I have been getting bsod's during the Win XP install. I
> was getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL but I seemed to have cured that

hachiroku

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:50:09 -0800, Andrew K wrote:

> I just installed am Athlon XP 3000+ into my Dragon Ultra Platinum KT400. The
> system ran just fine with the newest BIOS upgrade and my old Athlon XP
> 2100+, 512 MB of Kingston DDR 333. As soon as the 3000+ went in, the system
> became very unstable with random reboots and some of the reboots froze
> midway. In the end, it would not boot at all. I felt it was due to improper
> frequency/timing settings in the BIOS setup but I decided to go back to the
> old CPU temporarily. The system works fine now as it did before. I'll give
> it another go when I'm feeling lucky.
>
> "kjs80" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>I have been having a real hard time with my KT400 dragon ultra
>> plantinum board ever since I upgraded my cpu to an Athlon 3000+. My old
>> cpu was an 1800+ which I never had a problem with. Ever since I put in
>> this new chip I have been getting bsod's during the Win XP install. I
>> was getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL but I seemed to have cured that

I have noticed that XP is VERY picky about CPU speed! Are you
overclocking?
I was running an 1800+ at 2.1G with NO PROBELMS on Win2K and SuSE linux.
the Linux will take any clock frequency I set and ask for more. Win2K
stopped at 2.15G, and XP I have to set the clock speed to a MAX of 1900.
XP is giving me so many problems on this system I'm blowing it away and
going back to 2K. Sometimes it even reboots before the OS has finished

I haven't noticed on MS website; for Win '95 OSR 2.5 you had to download a
patch for AMD CPUs over 350MHz.

KT400 ultra + XP2500 problems unlucky MSI 1 03-07-2004 11:11 AM
SY-KT400 Ultra Platinum Geforcefx 5900 ultra 256mb 8x agp dirtyharry62 Soyo 3 12-25-2003 04:33 AM
Bluetooth on a KT400 Ultra. Dave Barlow MSI 5 12-24-2003 08:39 PM
Kt400 AMD stops booting Dan Soyo 2 10-28-2003 03:19 AM
G450 PCI for multimonitors - on Asus A7V8X AMD Athlon XP system board (VIA KT400) No Name Matrox 0 07-16-2003 09:59 PM