kt600-a doesn't see kdb, doesn't try to boot

Charlie

I got one of the Fry's specials (KT600-A + Sempron 2400+).

The video card works, so I can see things that don't work:

The m/b doesn't see the kbd (none of: del, ctrl-alt-del,
ctrl-alt-esc, f1, f2, f8 have any effect) and so can't enter the bios
setup screen. This is a known-good kbd.

The m/b also doesn't see any IDE devices, so won't boot.

It misidentifies the Sempron 2400+ as an Athlon 1000/1500/1666/2000
depending on JP8+JP9 setting. I think this is because the bios is old
(1.0D, 12/24/03) and would be fixed by 1.2C if I could get the thing to
boot.

It correctly ID's an Athlon 700 I have.

It beeps if I have no RAM or bad RAM.

I've checked the p.s. voltages, all are ok (there's a typo in the
kt600-a booklet: it says pin 18 should be +5 V, but in fact pin 18 s.b.
-5 V , and is). It's an Antec SL300S .

I'm on my 3rd copy of kt600-a. All three have had these symptoms.

I've tried contacting ECS support, no response. Has anyone ever
gotten a case number or a reply from (E-Mail Removed) ?

Ideas ?

TIA & regards,
Charlie

Charlie

Charlie wrote:

> I've tried contacting ECS support, no response. Has anyone ever
> gotten a case number or a reply from (E-Mail Removed) ?

just as I pressed "Send", an email arrive from ecsusa.com, bearing a
case number. That works out to 4 days for initial response.

Charlie

PJx

Cleared the cmos?

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:56:37 GMT, Charlie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I got one of the Fry's specials (KT600-A + Sempron 2400+).
>
> The video card works, so I can see things that don't work:
>
> The m/b doesn't see the kbd (none of: del, ctrl-alt-del,
>ctrl-alt-esc, f1, f2, f8 have any effect) and so can't enter the bios
>setup screen. This is a known-good kbd.
>
> The m/b also doesn't see any IDE devices, so won't boot.
>
> It misidentifies the Sempron 2400+ as an Athlon 1000/1500/1666/2000
>depending on JP8+JP9 setting. I think this is because the bios is old
>(1.0D, 12/24/03) and would be fixed by 1.2C if I could get the thing to
>boot.
>
> It correctly ID's an Athlon 700 I have.
>
> It beeps if I have no RAM or bad RAM.
>
> I've checked the p.s. voltages, all are ok (there's a typo in the
>kt600-a booklet: it says pin 18 should be +5 V, but in fact pin 18 s.b.
>-5 V , and is). It's an Antec SL300S .
>
> I'm on my 3rd copy of kt600-a. All three have had these symptoms.
>
> I've tried contacting ECS support, no response. Has anyone ever
>gotten a case number or a reply from (E-Mail Removed) ?
>
> Ideas ?
>
>TIA & regards,
>Charlie

Charlie

PJx wrote:
> Cleared the cmos?

I forgot to mention that, but yes I did clear the CMOS.

Thanks,
Charlie

PJx

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:54:52 GMT, Charlie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>PJx wrote:
>> Cleared the cmos?

>I forgot to mention that, but yes I did clear the CMOS.
>
>Thanks,
>Charlie

And is the keyboard a ps2 keyboard and NOT a usb keyboard. Those
often don't work.

Charlie

PJx wrote:
> And is the keyboard a ps2 keyboard and NOT a usb keyboard. Those
> often don't work.

right, PS2 kbd.

I briefly considered trying a USB kbd, but didn't have one handy (and
didn't have much hope for it anyway).

BTW I heard back from the ECS support technician; they wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam:

1. You must used PC2700 memory when you used FSB 333 CPU.

2 . You need set CPU jumper as 166MHZ.

3. You may need update BIOS if you have this board more then 6 months.

(did, did, right) but didn't mention how to get it to see the kbd or IDE
devices.

PJx

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:19:46 GMT, Charlie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>PJx wrote:
>> And is the keyboard a ps2 keyboard and NOT a usb keyboard. Those
>> often don't work.

>right, PS2 kbd.
>
>I briefly considered trying a USB kbd, but didn't have one handy (and
>didn't have much hope for it anyway).

I'd try one. It may fix the problem.

PJ

>BTW I heard back from the ECS support technician; they wrote:
>
>Dear Sir/Madam:
>
> 1. You must used PC2700 memory when you used FSB 333 CPU.
>
>2 . You need set CPU jumper as 166MHZ.
>
>3. You may need update BIOS if you have this board more then 6 months.
>

>(did, did, right) but didn't mention how to get it to see the kbd or IDE
>devices.

Charlie

Hi -

>>I briefly considered trying a USB kbd, but didn't have one handy (and
>>didn't have much hope for it anyway).

> I'd try one. It may fix the problem.

I did try a known-good USB keyboard on this, no luck.

I cleared the CMOS just in case.

I ended up trying 4 copies of this board before I gave up. The last one
had a newer BIOS, but had the same behavior as the first three:

video works, CPU is recognized, RAM is recognized.
USB & PS/2 keyboards not seen, known-good IDE devices not seen.

BTW I used a KT600-A to upgrade another machine last year, and it's been
fine.

I ended up returning this board+CPU and getting the Fry's $40 PcChips
M811LU + Duron 1600 , which worked fine (the CPU is ID'd as a 1900+),
though the "clear CMOS" jumper was set, so for a second I thought
"another bad board".

Charlie