Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

KT7A &USB 2.0 Anyone working OK?

 
 
obxgeorge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A with
XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems everyone
has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP O.K. and
installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the parts as OK
and all show "working properly". But, it will not detect any thing
plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the ALI
drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included with XP
SP2.
Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an NEC
chip?

(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ARR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Does it slow down your system to slower than a crawl? Perhaps you
should try the card in another pci slot. I had to try 3 different slots
before it worked without making the system move slower hell.



obxgeorge wrote:
> I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A with
> XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems everyone
> has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP O.K. and
> installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the parts as OK
> and all show "working properly". But, it will not detect any thing
> plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
> Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
> Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the ALI
> drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included with XP
> SP2.
> Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an NEC
> chip?
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
obxgeorge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Tried different slots, doesn't work at all. Get message "USB device
not recognized"

(E-Mail Removed)





On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:58:06 GMT, ARR <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Does it slow down your system to slower than a crawl? Perhaps you
>should try the card in another pci slot. I had to try 3 different slots
>before it worked without making the system move slower hell.
>
>
>
>obxgeorge wrote:
>> I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A with
>> XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems everyone
>> has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP O.K. and
>> installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the parts as OK
>> and all show "working properly". But, it will not detect any thing
>> plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
>> Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
>> Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the ALI
>> drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included with XP
>> SP2.
>> Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an NEC
>> chip?
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)


 
Reply With Quote
 
- HAL9000
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2005, 08:22 PM
There was a similar message exchange on USB problems a few days ago.
I think the problem identified then was that winxp SP2 was installed
over existing drivers. LOL, from what I have seen, winxp has had
problems with USB 2.0 since "day 1" of winxp (usb 2.0 has always been
a problem).

I think a fix (based on earlier) would be to remove/uninstall all USB
drivers, reboot, and then let winxp redetect the device(s). If it
doesn't work then, then reinstall the card's drivers after that.

I get the impression that: winxp sp1 -> install usb card -> upgrade
to winxp sp2 path breaks the winxp usb driver.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/


On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:32:34 GMT, obxgeorge <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A with
>XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems everyone
>has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP O.K. and
>installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the parts as OK
>and all show "working properly". But, it will not detect any thing
>plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
>Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
>Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the ALI
>drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included with XP
>SP2.
>Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an NEC
>chip?
>
>(E-Mail Removed)



 
Reply With Quote
 
obxgeorge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Have done all that. Removed everthing in safe mode, rebooted and let
XP find everthing. Says drivers not needed. Tried to install supplied
drivers and get told drivers from XP already installed. Changed to
supplied drivers, no change. Never had USB installed in SP1.
Only installed USB with SP2 and USB 1.1 worked fine. Right now I have
both USB 1 from the MOBO working OK and the add-in card for USB 2.0
not detecting any device. Tried disabling the bios usb enable and all
it does is disable the USB 1 ports.
I did see somewhere where that some combo cards will not work in a PCI
3.3v slot. Any idea what the PCI voltage is on the KT7A ?

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:22:30 -0600, - HAL9000 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There was a similar message exchange on USB problems a few days ago.
>I think the problem identified then was that winxp SP2 was installed
>over existing drivers. LOL, from what I have seen, winxp has had
>problems with USB 2.0 since "day 1" of winxp (usb 2.0 has always been
>a problem).
>
>I think a fix (based on earlier) would be to remove/uninstall all USB
>drivers, reboot, and then let winxp redetect the device(s). If it
>doesn't work then, then reinstall the card's drivers after that.
>
>I get the impression that: winxp sp1 -> install usb card -> upgrade
>to winxp sp2 path breaks the winxp usb driver.
>
>Forrest
>
>Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
>http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
>
>
>On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:32:34 GMT, obxgeorge <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A with
>>XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems everyone
>>has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP O.K. and
>>installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the parts as OK
>>and all show "working properly". But, it will not detect any thing
>>plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
>>Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
>>Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the ALI
>>drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included with XP
>>SP2.
>>Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an NEC
>>chip?
>>
>>(E-Mail Removed)

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
erikę
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Read below:

The exception to this rule is the KT266 based motherboard. Install the New
74 Patch.zip for all KT266 Mainboards. This above New 74 Patch is for KT266
based motherboards ONLY.


__________________________________________________ _______________________________________


USB 2.0 Drivers

Note: Please do not get confused which type of USB controller you have. This
article should clarify any questions you may have.

WinXP - Due to licensing agreements, USB 2.0 drivers are not available for
download. USB 2.0 drivers are supplied on CD with new mainboards. If you
have misplaced the driver CD or have questions about the USB 2.0 driver,
please contact your motherboard manufacturer or Microsoft.
Win2K - Due to licensing agreements, USB 2.0 drivers are not available for
download. USB 2.0 drivers are available through Windows Update.
Win98/SE/ME - Please download and install these drivers. (Package V2.42L)
Linux - USB 2.0 support is available in kernel 2.5.2 or later. Further
information.

VIA USB Filter Driver Confusion.
There has been much contradictory information posted regarding the use of
the VIA USB Filter Driver.
Please Read the following information from Fiona Gatt of VIA:
The 1.10 filter patch fixes very specific issues under specific
circumstances, described below. Users who are unsure as to whether they
should install the patch can be assured that if they do install the patch,
even if it is not necessary, it will cause no harm to their system. The
patch will detect your systems configuration and install only when
necessary. If it has not installed then there is no need to try to install
it manually. The patch will only install on certain older VIA host
controller revisions. Under these circumstances, the patch will resolve the
following issues:

Fixes the issue when a connected USB hub that has no USB devices connected
will be disabled after another USB hub is attached at another available root
port.
Fixes the issue when transferring large of amounts of data, the system will
hang.
Avoids noise from a USB audio converter or speaker.
Supports a USB add-on card.
Under Win2000/XP: This patch will save all register values in the memory
before a system enters Stand By mode and then restore those registers when
the systems resumes. This therefore avoids the situation where USB devices
are not ready for use after a resume from Stand By mode.

-------------------------
Fiona Gatt

VIA Arena Team
Web Media Liaison
VIA Technologies, Inc.



What to Do - Installing the USB Filter Driver - Yes or No

Try to get your system working without installing the USB Filter.
Adjust the BIOS settings (Your best chance)
Follow all of the troubleshooting steps
Install OS and/or Chipset specific patches if applicable.
If USB is still not working, install the USB Filter Driver
USB 1.10 Filter Patch Zip File Unzip to install.
The exception to this rule is the KT266 based motherboard. Install the New
74 Patch.zip for all KT266 Mainboards. This above New 74 Patch is for KT266
based motherboards ONLY.
Note:

The USB Filter Driver is NOT included in the 4 in 1 Driver File.
You MUST install the 4 in 1 Drivers before the USB Filter Driver. (All
Windows Operating Systems EXCEPT WinXP)
VIA PCI Latency Patch

VIA Chipsets have a known issue with PCI Latency. Although, specifically
developed for IDE and sound problems with VIA chipsets, users have reported
improved performance in other areas including USB and video capture. If USB
is otherwise working correctly but, not a fast as you would expect, try the
patch from VIA Hardware
Download PCI Latency Patch


 
Reply With Quote
 
- HAL9000
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005, 04:10 AM
This page says that PCI is 5 volt. It wouldn't make sense for a
generic USB card to require anything special from the mootherboard.

http://www.codepedia.com/1/PCI+BUS

Have you tried (in order) disabling onboard usb and remove new card,
deleting all usb drivers, install new card, let winxp detect card. Of
course, never installing the new cards drivers unless the manual for
the new card says it won't work without them.

I get the impression from erik's post that kt266 needs special care.
Perhaps not using its usb ports at all would help.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/


On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:07:54 GMT, obxgeorge <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Have done all that. Removed everthing in safe mode, rebooted and let
>XP find everthing. Says drivers not needed. Tried to install supplied
>drivers and get told drivers from XP already installed. Changed to
>supplied drivers, no change. Never had USB installed in SP1.
>Only installed USB with SP2 and USB 1.1 worked fine. Right now I have
>both USB 1 from the MOBO working OK and the add-in card for USB 2.0
>not detecting any device. Tried disabling the bios usb enable and all
>it does is disable the USB 1 ports.
>I did see somewhere where that some combo cards will not work in a PCI
>3.3v slot. Any idea what the PCI voltage is on the KT7A ?
>

< snip >

 
Reply With Quote
 
Exray
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Tyler, are you saying you got the ALI board to work in the KT7A?

Having tried it in 3 different slots with both the microsoft and the ALI
drivers, I gave up. I mentioned in another thread somewhere that USBMAN
suggested that there are quite a few (sorry folks) NEC chip based cards will
work fine. I bought a Belkin board, NEC chip based, and it works fine in
the first slot I put it in, the one next to the ISA slot.

ARR wrote:
| | Does it slow down your system to slower than a crawl? Perhaps you
| | should try the card in another pci slot. I had to try 3 different
| | slots before it worked without making the system move slower hell.
| |
| |
| |
| | obxgeorge wrote:
| | | I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A
| | | with XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems
| | | everyone has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP
| | | O.K. and installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the
| | | parts as OK and all show "working properly". But, it will not
| | | detect any thing plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
| | | Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
| | | Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the
| | | ALI drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included
| | | with XP SP2.
| | | Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an
| | | NEC chip?
| | |
| | | (E-Mail Removed)


 
Reply With Quote
 
erikę
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Have you tested it to work at usb2.0 speed or does it just work at usb1.0
speed?



> Tyler, are you saying you got the ALI board to work in the KT7A?
>
> Having tried it in 3 different slots with both the microsoft and the ALI
> drivers, I gave up. I mentioned in another thread somewhere that USBMAN
> suggested that there are quite a few (sorry folks) NEC chip based cards
> will work fine. I bought a Belkin board, NEC chip based, and it works
> fine in the first slot I put it in, the one next to the ISA slot.
>
> ARR wrote:
> | | Does it slow down your system to slower than a crawl? Perhaps you
> | | should try the card in another pci slot. I had to try 3 different
> | | slots before it worked without making the system move slower hell.
> | |
> | |
> | |
> | | obxgeorge wrote:
> | | | I'm trying to install a combo USB 2.0 + firewire card on my KT7A
> | | | with XP SP2 installed. It has an ALI chip on the card. It seems
> | | | everyone has had trouble with this. The card is detected by XP
> | | | O.K. and installs with no problem. Device manager shows all the
> | | | parts as OK and all show "working properly". But, it will not
> | | | detect any thing plugged into it. Get"USB device not recognized"
> | | | Device worked OK with the built-in USB 1
> | | | Have tried with onboard USB enabled and disabled, Have tried the
> | | | ALI drivers that came with the card and the USB drivers included
> | | | with XP SP2.
> | | | Any other suggestions other than getting a differnt board with an
> | | | NEC chip?
> | | |
> | | | (E-Mail Removed)
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Exray
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2005, 11:28 AM
I haven't done a benchmark or monitored bit transfer rate, but clearly it's
much faster than USB 1.

When I used the ALI card, USB2 things were not recognized by plug and play,
USB 1 things were. With that card, when I disabled the USB2 driver, the
unrecognized USB2 things suddenly woke up -- as USB 1. Now, USB2 things are
immediately recognized.

The writing speed of my external USB2 drive is now clearly much faster also
than the more than an hour that it would take to copy a gigabyte of data
under USB 1.

erikę wrote:
| | Have you tested it to work at usb2.0 speed or does it just work at
| | usb1.0 speed?
| |
| |
| |


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Binaries compiled with ADS 1,2 not working..but the GNU versions are working fine!! Mayank Kaushik Embedded 3 03-14-2005 01:07 PM
ati radeon 9000 and kt7a anyone get these to work together? Patrick Boehm Abit 2 01-31-2004 08:57 PM
KT7A-R-Forgotten Battles: Anyone running this? Joe Abit 5 01-26-2004 08:33 PM
updating kt7a to kt7a-raid erikę Abit 1 11-27-2003 07:29 PM
KT7A Raid & XP 2400+ @ 133 FSB - Anyone with this working? Redneck Jim Abit 2 10-28-2003 05:41 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment