KT7A-RAID Chipset Fan

prozach

The chipset fan on my old KT7A-RAID motherboard is going out (making
all sorts of horrible noises). Anyone have some suggestions as to a
replacement? I dont mind getting one from ABIT but i also donít mind
getting one from another vendor as long as it fits.

It's for a linux box/web server so i'm not over clocking it or doing
anything crazy extreme that Iíll need a 10kg block of copper blades
to dissipate the heat, but i would like something that works (passive
is preferable to active if that's possible as it's much quieter).

Anyone have a suggestion?

Eric Parker

"prozach" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:420b6c88$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The chipset fan on my old KT7A-RAID motherboard is going out (making
> all sorts of horrible noises). Anyone have some suggestions as to a
> replacement? I dont mind getting one from ABIT but i also donít mind
> getting one from another vendor as long as it fits.
>
> It's for a linux box/web server so i'm not over clocking it or doing
> anything crazy extreme that Iíll need a 10kg block of copper blades
> to dissipate the heat, but i would like something that works (passive
> is preferable to active if that's possible as it's much quieter).
>
> Anyone have a suggestion?

prozach

I had that same problem a couple of months ago.
Not sure where you are but I got one of these from www.aria.co.uk.
Case Fan. FAN-ENE-4. £5 + vat

Took a couple of minutes to replace.

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

GlassVial

>The chipset fan on my old KT7A-RAID motherboard is going out (making
>all sorts of horrible noises). Anyone have some suggestions as to a
>replacement? I dont mind getting one from ABIT but i also donít mind
>getting one from another vendor as long as it fits.
>
>It's for a linux box/web server so i'm not over clocking it or doing
>anything crazy extreme that Iíll need a 10kg block of copper blades
>to dissipate the heat, but i would like something that works (passive
>is preferable to active if that's possible as it's much quieter).
>
>Anyone have a suggestion?

Yeah re-oil it.

http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm

Otherwise replace with a chipset fan such as

http://www.3dcool.com/Details.asp?cid=38&id=722

-GV

Thundarr

prozach wrote:

> The chipset fan on my old KT7A-RAID motherboard is going out (making
> all sorts of horrible noises). Anyone have some suggestions as to a
> replacement? I dont mind getting one from ABIT but i also donít mind
> getting one from another vendor as long as it fits.
>
> It's for a linux box/web server so i'm not over clocking it or doing
> anything crazy extreme that Iíll need a 10kg block of copper blades
> to dissipate the heat, but i would like something that works (passive
> is preferable to active if that's possible as it's much quieter).
>
> Anyone have a suggestion?

I picked one up from my local computer shop for a couple of bucks. You
can also get one from Abit's parts store for $11:

http://www.abit-usa.com/abitparts/

Erik Hayn

just go the straight passive way.
any 60 mm alu heatsink should do the work - as for me since years.
just glue it with heatconducting adhesive onto the northbridge.
it never makes noise anymore and is cheep or without a charge if you
have one.

prozach schrieb:
> The chipset fan on my old KT7A-RAID motherboard is going out (making
> all sorts of horrible noises). Anyone have some suggestions as to a
> replacement? I dont mind getting one from ABIT but i also donÔŅĹt mind
> getting one from another vendor as long as it fits.
>
> It's for a linux box/web server so i'm not over clocking it or doing
> anything crazy extreme that IÔŅĹll need a 10kg block of copper blades
> to dissipate the heat, but i would like something that works (passive
> is preferable to active if that's possible as it's much quieter).
>
> Anyone have a suggestion?

prozach

actually i'm located in the US, but you recomend a 4cm replacement
fan, i'm sure i'll be able to find one on this side of the Atlantic
i'll start searching for that.

Wes Newell

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:15:42 -0500, prozach wrote:

> actually i'm located in the US, but you recomend a 4cm replacement fan,
> i'm sure i'll be able to find one on this side of the Atlantic i'll start
> searching for that.

It doesn't need the fan. Either oil the one you have or toss it. if you're
paranoid, get a passive cooler, but I ran mine for quite some time without
a fan. It had completely died. another I just oiled. eventually just got a
standard 40mm fan and put on it.

My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Russ

When my (KT7) chipset fan died I took an old 486 heatsink, hack sawed and
filed one to the size, superglued it on the chipset and there she has been
for 3 years. I had to change some caps in the old girl, but she still runs
pretty good. It's my back up computer now.

Runs good and is stable. About the most longest lasting motherboard series I
can think of. I've had it over 4 years. It has a modified (a bitch to do)
Athlon XP 1700MHZ chip (17x100mhz bus) with 778 megs ram.

--
Russ

Visit Alaska @ http://www.tannersacre.com